SASS Wire Forum

CCI Primers

Chief Rick

Anybody use them extensively?

I don't have a preference (and neither do my guns) but have been using Winchester and Remington.

Used Federal until they became rare as hens teeth...

I use them almost exclusively for SASS. I started using them in cowboy shooting because that's what I could find at the time. I have used federals with great success as well, but never had a problem with CCI. I did buy 100 Winchester and had a 4% failure rate so I stopped using them and have stuck with my CCI primers since they have never failed me yet and I have easy local access to them. Keep in mind this is all large pistol primers. I have heard other tales of small pistol primers so I can't speak to that.

• Like 1

had two ftf out of 100 , usually use Feds or Win and none with them...I have 900 more tho so I will make the hammer fail even more hard when i use them again, and I do like a fast hammer.

• Like 1

Some light sprins wont set off CCI primers.

I use CCI exclusively for my hunting rounds.

Never one miss fire in 25 years.

I have had CCI primers not go off in my 66 with light springs .

And same round did go off in my Ruger pistols .

If you are using stock guns .

You should have NO issues with CCI Primers.

• Like 1

Howdy-

I've taken to using my supply of CCI small pistol primers in my 9mms and .40 S&W ; Have gone through many thousands of CCI Large pistol as well, in 1911 variants and S&Ws using large primers; they do not let me down, no FTF . I use Winnies in most of my other Revolver ( SASS and other loads ) and lever rifle loads ( '66 and '73 ) were they perform without fail. As Federal have the softest cup, and are hardest to find, I save those for those few highly tuned guns we have; .38/357 original Vaqueros ( done up by Bob James, here in Phoenix ) and a PPC S&W Model 14 revolver done by the late Royce Weddle around the dawn of time ( or, at least, some of his early work ) in .38Special. THOSE guns require Feds for reliable "bang" on demand, and are joys to shoot . My Vaqueros and lever rifles CAN set off CCIs just fine, but I have run with Winchester the longest, without problems, for general use.

• Like 1

They work just fine outta my Colts, my 73 Uberti rifle not so good. They also work fine outta my Winchester Miroku 73.

Just to "Pile ON" with RRW, with OEM springs in your guns, ignition with CCI won't be a problem. Guns with reduced Main Springs, not so much. I use CCI Large Pistol in my OEM antique Coach Guns, which have OEM truck springs.

• Like 1

Seller&Bellot is another option. They typically are about $6/K cheaper. I am into my second 5K using them in .32 Single Sixes, .38 Cody '73 and 9mm Ruger SR9C with no failures of any kind.

Edited by Yusta B.

I use Federal LP and SP in my guns. Used Winchester and had no problems with that other than 1 brick I had. I had 4 FTF's out of 100 in my SASS pistols. They worked fine in the rifles. I do use CCI Magnum 209's. When I can't get those I use Winchester 209's. 8 FTF's out of 2 boxes of shotgun shells with Federal 209's made me stop using those.

After changing the hammer springs in my NMVs from 19 lb to 15 lb, I had troubles with CCI primers. Switched to Federal, and have had no issues. All my CCI stockpile of SPPs is now slated for 9mm applications.