SASS Wire Forum

Nevada sweeps?

Shooting Bull

I was going to give a wise ass reply in a different thread (Surprised? :D ) and an interesting question came to mind.

Nevada sweeps don't have to start on an end target, they can start in the middle. What would be your reaction if a stage called for the shooter to use the rifle to perform two separate Nevada sweeps, both starting in the middle and going in either direction?

You'd have to remember to double tap the center with the fifth and sixth rounds. I think that would be pretty cool with pistols, but think it might be considered a P trap for rifles.

• Like 1

I was going to give a wise ass reply in a different thread (Surprised? :D ) and an interesting question came to mind.

Nevada sweeps don't have to start on an end target, they can start in the middle. What would be your reaction if a stage called for the shooter to use the rifle to perform two separate Nevada sweeps, both starting in the middle and going in either direction?

You'd have to remember to double tap the center with the fifth and sixth rounds. I think that would be pretty cool with pistols, but think it might be considered a P

trap for rifles.

Or gunfighters...

We've done our nevada sweeps that way before at Knob Creek. Didnt have any problems. Wasn't but one or two Ps out out 20 plus shooters

Well...I HATE the classification P Trap...

I cringe when I hear "This isn't a memory game"

Why is it a P Trap? It is instruction of sequence to follow.

Memory game?

We use live rounds...shouldn't we be concentrating...?

I like stages you have to think.

If I fail, I earn the P...my ownership, didn't follow the instruction...my fault, not the writer of the instruction.

Go for it, big guy!

Or gunfighters...

Why would it be a P trap for gunfighters?

Stage planning in my head would dictate thinking of it as two separate Nevada sweeps. I see your point but the P likelihood would be the same if the sweeps started on an end. 5 and 6 would still be on the same target.

Exactly

I wish EVERYONE realized that a Nevada Sweep can start on ANY target, including the middle.

You don't know how many times I have been told that a Nevada Sweep 'HAS' to start on an end target....ugh...

I can see where a shooter could earn a 'P' on that stage, but I'm not so sure its a 'P' trap.

..........Widder

When we shoot that sequence its called a Dixie Sweep. Not as hard as some might think

Memory game?

If I fail, I earn the P...my ownership, didn't follow the instruction...my fault, not the writer of the instruction.

Go for it, big guy!

+10

I'd shoot it, and have. And the year or so I shot gunfighter I got a P on it, or similar. My fault, instructions said two separate sweeps and I shot one continuous sweep. It was a thing of beauty, cross overs, etc, just the way I planned it. But it was wrong per the stage instructions. I questioned the call until it was explained to me and then had to laugh and say 'yup, shore enuff a P'

Nevada sweeps don't have to start on an end target, they can start in the middle.

Huh??

Really?

Memory game?

Darn right it's a P Trap! My poor little brain is less and less able to handle tricky scenarios that some stage writers like to dream up.

Of course, if I think a stage is a P Trap, I will ask for my P upfront before I shoot the stage.

Same reason it might be for a rifle. There is no break while retrieving second revolver; continuous fire as both revolvers in hand and loaded.

As a gunfighter, any chance to get in a double tap is well welcomed by me.

I'd shoot it, and have. And the year or so I shot gunfighter I got a P on it, or similar. My fault, instructions said two separate sweeps and I shot one continuous sweep. It was a thing of beauty, cross overs, etc, just the way I planned it. But it was wrong per the stage instructions. I questioned the call until it was explained to me and then had to laugh and say 'yup, shore enuff a P'

Been there Griz :P said the same thing :)

Memory game?

Go for it, big guy!

+1

I wish EVERYONE realized that a Nevada Sweep can start on ANY target, including the middle.

You don't know how many times I have been told that a Nevada Sweep 'HAS' to start on an end target....ugh...

I can see where a shooter could earn a 'P' on that stage, but I'm not so sure its a 'P' trap.

..........Widder

We often write Nevada sweeps that give the shooter the option to start on the target he/she chooses. Sometimes there might be a larger target in the middle position just to see if they are awake!!

Giving the option makes it more interesting for a lot of shooters.

Many Lustrum ago, when I first started this game, there begat the "Nevada Sweep." Start on the Left End target then skip shoot skip shoot your way back and fourth for 10 rounds. Nevada Sweep.

If you started the sweep anywhere else, even at the other end, it was called something else. Nevada sweep ALWAYS started on the left end target. Shot on an array of four targets. Starting in the middle, not a Nevada Sweep. Now, understanding, nowhere is there a hard and fast official definition of "sweeps." No absolute rules. Depending on where you are, you can call any sweep, anything you want. So

how about a Nevada sweep on three targets, start on shooters choice??

You'd have to remember to double tap the center with the fifth and sixth rounds. I think that would be pretty cool with pistols, but think it might be considered a P trap for rifles.

As Major B.S. Walker pointed out, we do a similar type of Nevada Sweep and it is quite popular. We are generally using 5 targets, start on the middle and go one direction then the other direction. I think you are suggesting doing it with just 3 targets. That would be an interesting variation and would be a bit more challenging with the rifle since it is not so intuitive where the first set ends and the second begins and someone missing the double tap would likely occur. I agree it would be cool with the pistols but as a gunfighter I like any stage the doesn't let the 2 handed shooters to dump a bunch of rounds on a single target. ;)

And, I agree with Singin Sue that there are no P traps. Part of the joy and the challenge of this game is to test your ability to follow a sequence of instructions. Even if that means you may have to slow down a bit and think about what you're doing. Personally, on almost every P I've ever gotten, I shot the stage exactly as I intended. It was just that my intentions didn't quite match the instructions. :o:wacko:

btw; if a wise ass reply comes to mind, by all means, share it with us. If it's really good, I'll add it to my collection of favorites. :lol:

Edited by CodyMaverick

In these parts of the Great White North (Canada is now snow covered from the Pacific coast to the Atlantic coast) that sequence is called the Tough Guy Sweep.

Tough guy left or tough guy right. Start in the middle and the tough guy is the middle target who gets shot 3 times in a five round sweep.

Hi Bull,

We frequently do two diagonal Nevada sweeps on three rows of three targets arranged in a flat vertical array. Often it is shooter's choice whether to start in a corner or the middle. Those who can remember things sometimes start in the middle. The rest of us start in a corner. :blush:

Regards,

Allie

Hi Bull,

We frequently do two diagonal Nevada sweeps on three rows of three targets arranged in a flat vertical array. Often it is shooter's choice whether to start in a corner or the middle. Those who can remember things sometimes start in the middle. The rest of us start in a corner. :blush:

Regards,

Allie

Hi Allie. Gunfighter starts on two corners simultaneously?? Shoots the sweeps with a nifty crossover?? It's FUN!!

(It's also a "P")

Well the next time I shoot this stage, I am definitely going to be buying a P and trying this out. It's just too good to pass up

A Nevada sweep is single tap sweep that engages an array of targets by going across the available plates in one direction and then returns across all available plates in the opposite direction and so on - using a "Back and forth" motion without skipping a plate or changing round count on plates; until the designated number of rounds are discharged.

A Nevada sweep can be shot with targets set laterally - diagonally - front to back - up and down.

Nevada sweeps can be shot with as few as three plates - as many as nine.

There are infinite variations on this theme and they are infinitely named - but a single tap sweep going back and forth across the available plates is and always will be a NEVADA sweep.

Regardless of the number of the number of plates - regardless of the starting plate.

Sometimes 3 is advanced math. I have fun regardless, and that IS the name of the game.

My$.02

Imis

Im glad I dont have to remember all the names of the variety of sweeps we have available

Like many things in SASS there is no standard. In some places if you don't start on an end you get a P or at least a very long discussion. Same with "two" separate sweeps of the plates. In some places you have to do the two sweeps from the same end. In other places you can do a "dirty" sweep, I.e., sweep one direction, double tap the end plate and sweep back the opposite direction. Whenever I'm on the road I always ask. You would be surprised at some of the answers.

Like many things in SASS there is no standard. In some places if you don't start on an end you get a P or at least a very long discussion. Same with "two" separate sweeps of the plates. In some places you have to do the two sweeps from the same end. In other places you can do a "dirty" sweep, I.e., sweep one direction, double tap the end plate and sweep back the opposite direction. Whenever I'm on the road I always ask. You would be surprised at some of the answers.

If a stage writer wants it one way or the other, he/she needs to specify that. I think it's BS to require something not specified in the stage description.

If a stage writer wants it one way or the other, he/she needs to specify that. I think it's BS to require something not specified in the stage description.

Yep, that is what YOU think. Everyone does not think like you or think like me and how stage instructions are interpreted in different areas of the country ain't the same. Easier to ask than to get into an argument about what "I think" should have been done after-the-fact. "Well that isn't the way we do it around here" always trumps "but that ain't they way we do it where I come from" argument.

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933

I love Nevada's starting in middle. However, a few years ago, for our annual, I had that exact scenarios instruction. Had about 15% P's. Decided I'd never use it again. Then, a year or so ago, I waqs reading the WR scenarios and VIOLA! there it was. Looking at scores, there was no overage of P's on it either, so go figure. No. I didn't have other things going on to make the scenario complicated... Such is the life of a scenario writer.