SASS Wire Forum

Marlin Owners Beware

Rough 'N Ready Rob

I purchased a Wild West Guns Trigger Happy Kit some time back for my 1895 Marlin in 45-70. I don't use this gun to often maybe twice a year for long range, I did the other day. A day later I was cleaning it, gun that was apart when I hit the trigger and the hammer drop, that shouldn't happen. I put the gun back together brought the lever up to almost touching the trigger block and pulled the trigger and the hammer dropped, this gun could fire out of battery. I contacted Wild West Guns they say it's my trigger block. I put two stock trigger back in the gun they both work fine. i contacted them back they wouldn't do any thing, told me to contact Midway who I purchased it from they're no help ether. I have a $100.00 trigger that is use-less, I know there are ways to make it work but I shouldn't have to at that price.

Bottom line is that if you have a Wild West trigger in your Marlin you may want to check it. I do have a Happy Trigger in my 336 Marlin works fine, but will be the last one I will ever buy. Midway maybe on my short list too.

Thanks for looking.

Rob

• Like 1

Interesting.

I have put 4 or 5 of those 'Trigger Happy' triggers in my 1894's with NO issues.

One thing to consider: when your lever is up to the point of touching your 'Trigger Block', your bolt safety lug is already in position to secure the bolt from flying backwards.

And, if you are using the factory 2 piece trigger system, the bolt safety lug has probably not fully aligned the rear portion with the front portion.

And there are other items within the design of the 1894 Marlin that help minimize an OOB occurrence.

If I still needed another Trigger Happy, I would buy that from you for the price you paid. But I really don't need another.

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

None of that aftermarket crapola is necessary to make a Marlin run. MHO, who shoots Marlins all the time.

Al

• Like 3

Widowmaker

My Marlin can be fired anytime in the lever travel there is .012 thousandths between back of the trigger and the front of the trigger block with the Trigger Happy, Bad trigger. Put stock trigger back in the gun works fine.

What Gripes me Is the manufacturer and the seller won't stand behind it.

I think I agree Al, Marlin work well right out of the box.

Rob

It just needs to be fitted.

Think about this. You go to an auto parts store for a part expecting that part to bolt right one. But, the first thing they will ask you is what make, what model and what year. In the case of the Marlins which have been made since 1880's, much of that info is not available. So there will always be possibility it won’t drop right in. As a gunsmith the best you can hope for is a part that is too big. You can always whittle it down to fit.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It just needs to be fitted.

Think about this. You go to an auto parts store for a part expecting that part to bolt right one. But, the first thing they will ask you is what make, what model and what year. In the case of the Marlins which have been made since 1880's, much of that info is not available. So there will always be possibility it won’t drop right in. As a gunsmith the best you can hope for is a part that is too big. You can always whittle it down to fit.

This

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I may be out of line and/or have no dog in this fight.... But.... I don't think it's right or fair to condemn and chastise a parts manufacturer and distributor for a problem that may or may not be their fault...... Seems to me that if there were a problem with the triggers, we would have heard about them by now ?? In all fairness, you should have someone else check it for you..

The notation on the trigger packaging states, "This product should be installed by a competent gunsmith".

Thanks everyone for your input. I put this out here because I think a gun that could fire out of battery is a major safety issue.If you own a Marlin and have installed a Trigger Happy trigger you may want to check it. Simple check leave the lever down pull the trigger if the hammer drop you have a problem.

Yes I'm not happy with the manufacturer, You would think they would want to do all they can to correct a safety issue.

Rob

I will often install a part on my guns myself. If it doesn't work correctly, I'll find a gunsmith to have it checked and if need be fitted.

I'm a retired professional auto mechanic and welder/fabricator. People come to me often to have their automotive repairs checked and corrected when they try and fail to make something work. There is no shame in finding someone to help you get it right if you can't make something work on your own.

If I were working on a Marlin and something didn't perform the way it should, I'd take it to Widder. He's my friend and he's close by!! Then there's Cowboy Carty and Slick McClade and many others who can steer you right or fix it for you!!

The manufacturer's disclaimer says it all!!

I'm 71 years old, this is not my first rodeo. I worked as a apprentice machinist for two year, not my cup of tea. Went in to heavy construction, worked in the shop repairing heavy equipment in the winter mouth. Built a couple fast race cars. When I retired I went three weeks to summer school gun smithing classes to learn to work on cowboy gun. I know I could fix this if I could find some one that can tig weld or maybe some J-B weld and a hacksaw blade and some filing to make up the 12 Thousandth between the back of the trigger and trigger stop, I find this as putting good money and time after bad. I put the stock trigger back in, maybe a little floppy but the gun is safe now. I pray no one has there gun fire out of battery A 45-70 pushing a 1/2" bolt back would do more then a little hurt.

This is the last I will say on this subject.

Rob

Edited by Rough 'N Ready Rob

I bought a Marlin in ,35 Remington at the age of 15. I have used it since with great success. Replaced springs, firing pins, extractor, butt stock due to wear. It's one H--- of a carbine.

• 2 years later...
On 12/14/2016 at 8:16 PM, Al OVERA, SASS#26238 Life said:

None of that aftermarket crapola is necessary to make a Marlin run. MHO, who shoots Marlins all the time.

Al

I agree but a one piece firing pin and a Ranger Point extractor sure does make it run a little smoother....

• Like 3

Seems I've seen quite a few Marlins with the trigger block removed including mine and never an issue. JMHO

:ph34r:   Didn't see this thread when it began, or I might have been scared off.  I have 3 Marlin '94's with Wild West Happy Triggers and couldn't be 'happier'....:lol:.

I heat them, pound them a little straighter, grind end shorter and rounder, round off right side edge and then polish and cold blue.  Never have had a problem.

That is , no problem that I didn't create......

19 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

This thread is over 2 years old.

I'm wondering if Rough N Ready Rob was able to get his problem solved.

..........Widder

He hasn't be 'on', since May 2018.........

OLG

36 minutes ago, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

This thread is over 2 years old.

I'm wondering if Rough N Ready Rob was able to get his problem solved.

..........Widder

I shoot with him regularly and I believe he mentioned he’s got it running properly with so work. Rob is pretty handy with Marlins 

• Thanks 1

Unless the two piece firing pin is replaced with the one piece the Lever actuated trigger block is a secondary safety. The hammer can fall but the gun will not fire if the lever is even slightly down.

The lever has to be fully up to lift the locking bolt in place behind the breech bolt. But, at the same time the locking bolt lifts the rear portion of the firing pin inline with the front part of the firing pin. Only then will it fire. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Interesting post.  Any other shooters having problems with the trigger????  I am looking at getting 3 for my Marlins.  .32 H&R Mag, .44 mag, and .45 Colt

Wow, I'm surprised to see this post again.

Like I said in an earlier post, I put the stock trigger back in and the gun worked fine. I have since sold the gun, too old for heavy recoil, to a pard, he loves it.

I still won't deal with Wild West Guns. I too was in business at one time; two things I thought were important for good business: one, return calls and two, make the customer happy.

RNR Rob 

• Like 4