SASS Wire Forum

Dam Site Old School

Creeker, SASS #43022

The Eldorado Cowboys have "decided" (ok, I admit it was mostly my idea), that The Best Shoot by a Dam Site should pay homage to the game we used to play in cowboy. Perhaps interject a little bit of the silliness that has been lost over time. A Legacy shoot.

Now don't misunderstand me; I have zero interest in revisiting the games of chance and non shooting activities determining winners. But I think the game is called "Cowboy Action", for reasons other than simply the era our guns were designed.

So with that premise in mind; what are some of things that you used to do in cowboy that have faded away and you would like to see revisited within a match using todays sensibilities?

Sequences/ actions/ props that could be integrated within a 2017 era cowboy shoot that do not diminish the shooting match component, but simply add a dash of yesterday?

And lastly; does the idea of a yesteryear shoot mixed with a match from today interest you?

I think it is a great idea. I might actually travel down there to shoot a match like that. Things like carrying a bag of Gold or opening the safe to retrieve your pistol might be fun and not too far off from todays CAS.

Creeker:

This past September, the theme for our annual, Fall Round-Up, was "New School vs. Old School." Half the stages incorporated some things we don't usually do much any more. According to the surveys I received, the "Old School" stages were well received. One example: a full sized cutout of "Little Johnny," the brat who tormented you all through grade school. Shooter started standing in school house doorway with an old fashioned felt chalkboard eraser in one hand, ready for revenge. Starting line..."Hey, Johnny!" At the beep, toss the eraser at Little Johnny, step forward and retrieve rifle. etc. I awarded a 3 second time reduction for the stage for a "hit" on the brat - about the same amount of time it took to react, throw, and actually start shooting. Most everyone hit Johnny, but some of the misses were monumental, and provided some interesting "talking points" at the socials.

CS

Edited by Count Sandor, SASS #74075
  • Like 1

Back in the day, I think I remembered seeing someone shooting from horseback (wooden horse) or while riding shotgun on a covered wagon.

The Eldorado Cowboys have "decided" (ok, I admit it was mostly my idea), that The Best Shoot by a Dam Site should pay homage to the game we used to play in cowboy. Perhaps interject a little bit of the silliness that has been lost over time. A Legacy shoot.

As if I didn't love you enough already. You still can't have my Bud Lite, but this is AWESOME!

I know how much this is hated in some circles but, I'd love to see some bonus targets thrown into the mix.

Since Dam Site is limited to 100 shooters, maybe bring back the Texas Star. Hopefully resetting time wouldn't cause problems with a slightly smaller match.

Haven't seen a required reload, either rifle or pistol in ages, that would definitely be a throw-back.

Creeker

If you will send me an email address, I have several "old school" match stages that I can send.

Here is a long time favorite that most folks think is just so simple. But, it is truly amazing how many shooters just can't keep their mouth shut from start to finish!

It uses a train car design to shoot from.

The Great K&A Train Robbery

When you think of the American cowboy, a certain image springs to mind. You picture a stalwart, clean living hero astride a noble horse who is always ready to right wrongs and champion the cause of justice. Such westerners may have populated the real West but most likely the abovementioned description owes its existence to... TOM MIX. Tom Mix was the first of the colorful, escapist motion picture cowboys. In this scene, Cullen has hired Tom Mix to try and stop the robberies on his railroad. Knowing Cullen's secretary Holt is tipping off the gang, Tom works undercover by posing as a highwayman. To help him bring in the gang he enlists the help of the hobo DeLuxe Harry.

So, we catch up with Tom while entering the train and, as always, Tom saves the day but remember this is a “Silent Movie”.

Pistol and 10 rounds, Rifle and 9 rounds, Shotgun and 2 Shells

Starting Position – Standing outside the caboose.

Staging – Two pistols loaded with 5 rounds each and holstered. Rifle loaded with 9 rounds staged at the first window in the passenger car and shotgun staged at the door in the freight car.

Procedure – When ready say “Action”, snap the clap board and wait for the beep. At the beep, move to the 1st window in the caboose. With your first pistol, engage the four train pistol targets with at least one shot on each, from either direction, no double taps. Move to the passenger car, get your rifle and sweep the nine rifle targets from either direction. Place the rifle back where it was staged and move to the last window in the passenger car. With your second pistol, engage the four train pistol targets with at least one shot on each target, from either direction, no double taps. Move to the shotgun and engage the 2 shotgun targets in any order. Place the shotgun back where it was staged and then snap the clap board and say “Cut”.

Since this is a “Silent Movie”, you can not talk between saying “Action” and “Cut”. If you can be silent you will get a 5 second bonus.

As if I didn't love you enough already. You still can't have my Bud Lite, but this is AWESOME!

I know how much this is hated in some circles but, I'd love to see some bonus targets thrown into the mix.

Since Dam Site is limited to 100 shooters, maybe bring back the Texas Star. Hopefully resetting time wouldn't cause problems with a slightly smaller match.

Haven't seen a required reload, either rifle or pistol in ages, that would definitely be a throw-back.

Wow, No Bonus targets, No Texas Star, and not even a Rifle Reload!

What do y'all do for fun? Shoot Nevada Sweeps?

Wait a minute... You're in Nevada, Do ya just call 'em sweeps? :huh:

This is a great idea Creeker :excl:

The RR-Bar Regulators just did this last month, and it was a BLAST. We had to use our sights more than a few times. ^_^

We also had to reload the rifle and pistol a time or two. ^_^

Are you gonna make misses 10 second penalties, like back in the day? :lol:

OLG

This is a great idea Creeker :excl:

The RR-Bar Regulators just did this last month, and it was a BLAST. We had to use our sights more than a few times. ^_^

We also had to reload the rifle and pistol a time or two. ^_^

Are you gonna make misses 10 second penalties, like back in the day? :lol:

OLG

No; no 10 second miss penalties.

And I really don't want to lose the big, close, fast reputation that The Eldorado Cowboys have worked for.

I just want to put in some reminders; the light hearted silliness of what we used to do in addition to shooting.

Now, I am in no way advocating a return to when "chance" or a completely random activity determined the winners.

I do firmly believe we are a shooting competition first.

BUT - in the effort to become a shooting competition - we have (perhaps) swung the pendulum too far and discarded much of the "playing cowboy" aspect of our game.

To the point where asking shooters to actually say a silly line (or make up one of their own) or carry a gold bag or stab the dummy is viewed as a distraction - not an integral component of the game.

I also don't want to return to the activities that our aging bodies will not endure.

So no starting in and then exiting bath tubs, or laying on the ground with head on saddle.

But maybe a return to...

shooting bottles off the bartop after throwing a whiskey in the barkeeps face...

shooting the stage while seated on the stagecoach - maybe even having to reset your own knockdown rack by pulling on the reins...

escaping the jail by stealing the deputies gun and blasting the lock...

shooting cockroaches (no, not ketchup packets) off the wall of your hotel room...

stuffing a bank bag full of bills and coins (bonuses for the least money left behind)...

snuffing the dynamite (lit candle) with a rifle shot...

saving your partner from the hangman with a well placed shot...

Keep the ideas coming - and I will do my best to create a balance of todays competition with the laughter of yesterday game.

To ensure everyone KNOWS EXACTLY what they are in for - stages will be posted at http://eldoradocowboys.com/at least 60 days in advance of the match.

Sooner if I get a burst of creativity.

Like 25 yd pistol targets and 60 yd rifle

Like 25 yd pistol targets and 60 yd rifle

I'm thinking 25 yard pistol targets would lose my big, close, fast match directors card in a hurry.

But I'm not "completely" adverse to a target or two either farther away (thinking hangmans rope) or smaller targets at todays expected distances (thinking aluminum bottles off a barshelf).

Creeker, what I said was in jest. Speaking for myself, you set the targets up and take them down then polish that up with telling me my score and maybe feeding me too. Heck man I'm all smiles far, near, up, down, large, small I'm shooting that's all I'm looking for. Well, the great company you find at Dam Site is a big attraction as well. Put all that with the good stage descriptions makes for an above average match.

Creeker, what I said was in jest.

Reb, I was well aware that you were kidding. I just want to make sure folks understand it will still be a Creeker style shoot; just with a bit of old school spice flavor.

Edited by Creeker, SASS #43022

My all time favorite was shooting snakes, with the shotgun. Pieces of hard, green garden hose,18-24 inches long. You had to hit them right to get them to move a foot or two across a line. Didnt take long to reset but must be where someone can safely go down range. One or two targets can use up a lot of shooter time if not shot right.

my$.02

Imis

My all time favorite was shooting snakes, with the shotgun. Pieces of hard, green garden hose,18-24 inches long. You had to hit them right to get them to move a foot or two across a line. Didnt take long to reset but must be where someone can safely go down range. One or two targets can use up a lot of shooter time if not shot right.

my$.02

Imis

Only issue with snakes is condition of the ground. Here in sunbaked Nevada; a lot of our ground surface is the same as shooting at concrete. Unless you specifically dig a pit for snakes; it can become a safety issue.

I used to be pretty good on the snakes too.

I didn't know that I was shooting at an old style club, but the evidence is pointing in that direction. We have and still shoot every one of the examples posted here at River Junction to include the Texas Star with re-loads. At times we have the flying clay bird as-well-as the pop-up bird. We have shot from a horse, the 2nd story of the hotel, through a train, from the hangman's gallows and from the wagon seat. I have thrown dynamite, tomahawks, lassoes, etc. to start a stage.

I put the snakes on metal plates. When hit, they go flying and the type of soil is not a factor.

All for our shooting pleasure.

Careful there Creeker. You're skirting dangerously close to Evil Bob stages.

New school run and gun style target placements with a little bit of yesterdays flavoring...

Big and close and silly?

Throwing a knife into a dummy, pitching a horse shoe, holding a toy cap gun in your hand to start the stage. Holding boxes in your hand to start, standing by a piano playing something or holding a guitar and plucking something or singing a verse from a cowboy song. Just a few that are done BEFORE the timer…... ;)

Story line is you brought shame to one of the local Chinese girls and they are after you. Start the stage by hitting the gong with a stick and yelling help. Run back and forth between shooting positions and hit the gong each time you pass it and yell help. Of course after shooting each gun, you have to retrieve the stick and take it with you.

Nothing wrong with doing stuff on the clock as long as it doesn't introduce chance into the shooting order. Have them pull their shotgun shells out of spitoon full of dried beans. Of course the shotgun would be last and they would have to carry the spittoon between shooting positions to shoot the other guns. Sort of shakes up the shells with the beans a bit.

Start with the rifle in hands with a rubber chicken 1/2 full of lead shot touching the forearm. Chicken must swing free and only be held by the neck. At the beep, alternate between two rifle targets. That chicken will start swinging and that's when the fun begins. When done, have them put chicken in a pot.

Starting line is 2-1-2, 2-1-2, 2-1-2. Shoot each pistol 1-3-1. (One of my personal favorites.)