SASS Wire Forum

Shotgun question

Piecemeal kid

Chinese imports, not bad for what they are. Inspect yours before you buy it. I've seen one where the barrels were misaligned and one pointed lower than the other. Barrels are two sections with the barrel welded to the breach. Breach face has a protruding block instead of a flat face, makes smooth loading more difficult. Fit and Finish are spotty, with sharp edges at the muzzle crown and trigger guard on the one I looked at. Wood was nice, styling like a brick... but at 275.00 I wouldn't expect a lot of niceties. The specimen I handled was so stiff, I had to use my knee to open it. Personally I wouldn't recommend it as a starter gun. There are many better doubles that come up for sale on the Classified Wire for just a bit more, that already have work done on them, so they are competition ready. I'd start there. For price point, you'd do better with a Stoeger or Baikal.

Well, They're affordable. They're Ugly. They go BANG. They're Ugly, They're prone to breakage. Did I mention They're Ugly?? I don't think they make a good "starter." In my experience, Short term temporary fix's tend to stick much longer than one intends. Were I to recommend a shotgun for "starting out" it would also be a shotgun you can live with for a while. Stoeger. Well priced, well made (for a price point), reliable, modifiable, good choice for a hammerless. If your in lust specifically for a Hammer Double (Most cowboy of all) then the best value for dollar is Cimarron's 1878 replica. Built like a tank, soaks up recoil. Reliable, modifiable, again, best value for dollar in a Hammer Double, bar none.

Coffinmaker.

PS: Did I happen to mention that Century "thing" is really really Ugly??

• Like 1

They are not what the gammers use but they work.

Some need more work then others , but they do work.

You would be better off buying a used SXS from a pawn shop .

Or asking around a Cowboy shoot for a used SXS .

Even a used Stevens 311 or 5100 and cut down ghe barrel if you want it shorter.

They are not what the gammers use but they work.

Some need more work then others , but they do work.

You would be better off buying a used SXS from a pawn shop .

Or asking around a Cowboy shoot for a used SXS .

Even a used Stevens 311 or 5100 and cut down ghe barrel if you want it shorter.

+1

I would use an H&R single barrel with an ejector if I was staring and did not want to buy a Stoeger, Baikal or 311 (least expensive doubles without a locking tab).

Suprisingly fast option.

Amen !

Aw Shucks. I forgot all about an H&R Handy Single Barrel with an ejector. With a little practice, amazingly fast to run. On a par with a single load 97 shooter. A cautionary suggestion though. Unless your paying attention, DO NOT stand directly behind the shooter. Those fired hulls really sting when they hit ya inna forehead (Don't ask how I know this fact). Even though they aren't making them anymore, they aren't hard to find.

Coffinmaker

Aw Shucks. I forgot all about an H&R Handy Single Barrel with an ejector. With a little practice, amazingly fast to run. On a par with a single load 97 shooter. A cautionary suggestion though. Unless your paying attention, DO NOT stand directly behind the shooter. Those fired hulls really sting when they hit ya inna forehead (Don't ask how I know this fact). Even though they aren't making them anymore, they aren't hard to find.

Coffinmaker

A $100.00 starter gun. And they can be surprisingly fast. Sold my 20 gauge. Wish I still had it.