SASS Wire Forum

Henry big boy...yea or nay? (I already know the answer)

Sgt. Hochbauer, SASS #64409

That's funny Widder. I remember when I got my Marlin Cowboy Comp people still said "Ya need a '73" or "Ya need a '66".

Well, I pick up my '92 today...I am sure I will hear about that from some well meaning Pard.

I've got several rifles, '66 and '73s, but I'm holding on to my pre-safety half-round, half octagon Rossi '92 in .45colt, and a Winchester '92 in 38WCF. They are good shooters and as accurate as you could want. I shoot them with heavier loads and at longer distances than CAS, but they still make for a decent match gun. Have fun with that '92!

• Like 1

That's funny Widder. I remember when I got my Marlin Cowboy Comp people still said "Ya need a '73" or "Ya need a '66".

Well, I pick up my '92 today...I am sure I will hear about that from some well meaning Pard.

I have a 73 and a 66 and a 60 .

Love all three of them .

But I always seem to go back to my 92's .

Lighter and just as smooth .

Kinda funny how everyone has a Opinion,

With out ever owning a pictorial firearm.

I have owned them all , Still have one or more of each one.

And still keep going back to my 92's .

Im not about speed and never will be as fast as I could be.

I have no intrested in practice and dry fire.

I shoot Cowboy to play with the guns I love.

And to have fun with like minded people.

The 92 will do all I need her to do,

And more !

But I will say.

The 73 is alot easer to clean out BP fouling then the 92 !

• Like 1

I think Boggus Deal & Ringer had the right idea. Everyone should run a BB, especially in my class.

Sgt. Hockbauer:

First, let’s remember the number one reason for joining SASS and shooting in your local Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) Club…COMRADERY.

It’s a time to get together, meet new people and talk about your passion for shooting vintage, albeit clone, firearms and dressing like a cowboy.

Of course we would all like to be the fastest, but when you are just starting out, that should be the last thing on your mind or you will surely fail.

As a newcomer to CAS, I can tell you that I have met several shooters who have given up on the sport, willing to sell their firearms and get into something else. They spent thousands of dollars getting the best equipment they could afford, only to take a loss, getting out.

Everyone has a budget, a dollar amount that they can spend, and when first starting out, get the firearms you can afford.

Keep in mind, that newcomers have to not only learn and obey the rules of the sport, but they need to get familiar with their firearms, exercise good gun safety and practice, practice and more practice. With that practice will come the speed, and if down the road, you feel you have maximized any particular firearm, AND you still enjoy the sport, you will either have your firearms gunsmithed, where possible, or upgrade to a faster more efficient firearm.

At that juncture, you could either trade in the old firearm, or better yet, keep it as your second choice should your first choice firearm stop working during a match.

A lot has been written about the Henry Big Boy rifles on the SASS Wire. I even started one myself back on May 30, 2016 entitled “Pros and Cons of the Henry Big Boy rifles” with over 2,605 views and 56 replies, both good and bad. If you haven’t already done so, there are a lot of good cowboy opinions on there.

Myself, I have gone with the Henry Big Boy Silver in 357/38spl. The gun was acquired with the specific intent on providing documentation, both video and written notes, tracking the progression of a new shooter handling this gun from start to finish. I am hoping, after the first of the year (2017), to begin this journey and provide both video and commentary on the SASS Wire.

I am excited about starting this journey and look forward to all the UPS and DOWNS that will come along the way, but more importantly, share this journey with you.

She’s a beauty……

http://i1305.photobucket.com/albums/s547/fatherkitcoolgungarth/Henry%20Big%20Boy%20Silver%20357_zpsfrr5wuxd.jpg

Edited by Father Kit Cool Gun Garth
  • Like 1

LostVaquero,

Tell me about this "one piece Marlin ejector"? I do not know all of the parts so help me out. If I could see a picture then it will make sense. Where to buy?

Yes the lever is wrapped to save my fingers.

Regards

Chestnut Louie

Wild West Guns makes the ejector.

It ir sold through many outlets including Midway.

The ejector, in my opinion, does not work as well as an original or replacement original.

Failure rate is fairly high after a short usage.

Your mileage may vary.

A lot has been written about the Henry Big Boy rifles on the SASS Wire. I even started one myself back on May 30, 2016 entitled “Pros and Cons of the Henry Big Boy rifles” with over 2,605 views and 56 replies, both good and bad.

That thread should be pinned at the top of this forum!