SASS Wire Forum

Where to find gun cart wheels?

Flaco Joe

Hello the camp,

I'm sad to report that our gun cart perished in a shed fire recently. My wife, Lanky Jane, is a pretty fair carpenter, and will build another one; however, we have not been able to source the wheels we seek. We need a retailer for inflatable tires on spoked rims, like bicycle tires, only with a hole through the hub that will enable a piece of bar stock inserted as an axle.

Anyone know of a source for such a cart wheel?

Thanks

I get a lot from here. http://www.northerntool.com

You might want to rethink the "inflatable" requirement and go with foam core tires. Flats on gun carts are a PITA.

Just type in "wheels" in the search bar and it will bring up several types of wheels. Pick the type you want and click on it.

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933

One guy in the club is using wheel chair wheels and they work great. I picked-up a baby jogger with foam core wheels and I love it. It's much easier to take down than my old wood gun cart.

It cost $30 and a little more for ATV gun holders that I added.

+1 for Northern tool. However they wouldn't hold air for more than a couple weeks. Put Green Slime in 'em and that clogged the valves making re-filling impossible. Discovered the valve was the source of the leak even with a new stem insert. Resolved by using metal caps with a small "O" ring inside---haven't added air in over a year. I got the 16" ones and they roll nice over bumpy terrain.

• Like 1

Check out flea markets that might have bicycles for sale. Lots of times you can by a bike for less than the cost of the wheels elsewhere. Crosslines, Christian Service Centers, Goodwill etc are also good sources.

I repurposed a pair of 16" ag implement tires from a display model field weed wiper.

Northern Tool is a good source.

Been working fine going on 15+ years.

...but I carry a bicycle tire pump to top off the air occasionally.

;)

• Like 1

+1 for Northern tool. However they wouldn't hold air for more than a couple weeks. Put Green Slime in 'em and that clogged the valves making re-filling impossible. Discovered the valve was the source of the leak even with a new stem insert. Resolved by using metal caps with a small "O" ring inside---haven't added air in over a year. I got the 16" ones and they roll nice over bumpy terrain.

This is my problem, where did you source your metal caps with the O rings?

I'm a fan of Northern tool as well. All my gun cart plans call for them. My latest ones I've been using are the "run flat" ones. They never need air and are a good tire to boot!

Hello the camp,

I'm sad to report that our gun cart perished in a shed fire recently. My wife, Lanky Jane, is a pretty fair carpenter, and will build another one; however, we have not been able to source the wheels we seek. We need a retailer for inflatable tires on spoked rims, like bicycle tires, only with a hole through the hub that will enable a piece of bar stock inserted as an axle.

Anyone know of a source for such a cart wheel?

Thanks

Gunther Cartright------Off the wall carts may be able to help you. Has wood and spoke type.

This is my problem, where did you source your metal caps with the O rings?

I already had 'em from years ago off old tires and they're chrome! "O" ring from the hardware store. PM me if you need a couple and can't find them. I'll send you 2

EH

I use 20" 5 spoke wheels from Northern Tool, BUT I replace the tube with a Never Flat foam tube. The secret to getting the foam tube on and not tearing up the rim in the process is to inflate the tire heavily for a few days before you install the Never Flat foam tube. This stretches out the tire so that it will go around the foam core more readily. It also helps to set the inflated tire out in the sun to warm up before you try to fit the foam tube. I use some little stainless steel bicycle tire tools to install the new tube and tire a minimum of three are required.

Did you try Harbor Freight?

Howdy

I've been doing this for a pretty long time and have never seen the need for inflatable tires.

Get the biggest diameter wheels you can put onto your cart for least resistance to rolling on uneven ground.

This set is 16" in diameter.

cart01.jpg

If you have a Tractor Supply store in your area, they carry a pretty large selection of wheels. I use their 16 inch chromed spoke wheels with non inflatable tires. Very sturdy wheels, and roll in rough terrain very nicely.

RBK

Check your local hardware store. That is where I got the wheels for my cart. If they don't have the exact/size you want in store, they may be able to order it.

Remember, the wheels are the things that allow you to push the cart over sometimes rough terrain. While the rest of the cart may very well look like something made in 1887 if you want it to be, completely modern wheels may be preferable just so you can move the think when it is weighted down with guns, ammunition, going uphill, over a gravel or dirt path, or any other myriad of things you'll see at the range.

• 3 months later...
On 12/13/2016 at 3:23 PM, Yul Lose said:

I use 20" 5 spoke wheels from Northern Tool, BUT I replace the tube with a Never Flat foam tube. The secret to getting the foam tube on and not tearing up the rim in the process is to inflate the tire heavily for a few days before you install the Never Flat foam tube. This stretches out the tire so that it will go around the foam core more readily. It also helps to set the inflated tire out in the sun to warm up before you try to fit the foam tube. I use some little stainless steel bicycle tire tools to install the new tube and tire a minimum of three are required.

Yul,

Where did you source the "Never Flat" tube? Thanks

You can buy them from Amazon, WalMart, or any bike shop.

No-Mor-Flat and Never-Flat are two of the most common brand names. Do a search on Amazon using one of the two brand names and your tire size.

6 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You can buy them from Amazon, WalMart, or any bike shop.

No-Mor-Flat and Never-Flat are two of the most common brand names. Do a search on Amazon using one of the two brand names and your tire size.

SD,

Do you know if the 16 x 1.75 will fit in a tire of that size? The info indicates it goes in a tire of 16 X 1.90.   Thanks

1 hour ago, Eyesa Horg said:

SD,

Do you know if the 16 x 1.75 will fit in a tire of that size? The info indicates it goes in a tire of 16 X 1.90.   Thanks

I don't think so. Try reading this

http://www.betterbybicycle.com/2014/04/a-simple-guide-on-essentials-of-wheels.html

Much Obliged Sedalia Dave, A wealth of info there, still wonder if a .15" difference would matter. Maybe Yul's trick of over-inflating and in the sun would let it squeeze in?!

9 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Yul,

Where did you source the "Never Flat" tube? Thanks

I buy them on Amazon. There a job to put on. If you over inflate the tire for a few days and set it out in the sun it helps a bunch.