SASS Wire Forum

Bruce Derns question

Bugler

Does anyone know of any movies where he was NOT the quintessential bad guy? He was sort of type cast like John Wayne was but on the dark side. He was SO good at the bad guy role that you loved to hate him....especially in the Cowboys

Bugler

In Silent Running he played a gardener/astronaut in charge of all the plants left on earth...

I don't remember him being the "Bad Guy' in that one

• Like 1

Silver Sam is right... Silent Running was a good movie, too.

But Bruce Dern was not really a bad guy in the movie... Last Man Standing... with Bruce Willis as the main character. In that movie... Bruce Dern was just a seat-warmin' lawman... not much "do anything" about him.

ts

Check out Nebraska , plays a cranky old man who gets a letter saying he was a prize winner

I've been anti Bruce Dern since the very first time I saw the Cowboys. In fact I've been known to turn a movie off when I saw his name in the credits. I have to say though, I did feel sympathy for his character in Nebraska.

• Like 1

I liked him in Support Your Local Sheriff, being a murderer doesn't make you a bad guy, does it?

I also thought he had a pretty funny character in The Burbs.

I've been anti Bruce Dern since the very first time I saw the Cowboys. In fact I've been known to turn a movie off when I saw his name in the credits. I have to say though, I did feel sympathy for his character in Nebraska.

Why? Cuz he killed John Wayne?

Hell, after "The Cowboys," even JW's younger kids were scared of him!

:-)

That just shows how good a character actor he was.

If I recall correctly, in "Silent Running" he killed the rest of the crew to keep them from jettisoning the forests and slowly went mad with Huey, Louie, and Dewy (the robots).

• Like 1

Posted · Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, December 13, 2016 - Off Topic
Hidden by Doc Faraday, SASS #5749, December 13, 2016 - Off Topic

If I recall correctly, in "Silent Running" he killed the rest of the crew to keep them from jettisoning the forests and slowly went mad with Huey, Louie, and Dewy (the robots).

So... what's yore point?

ts

In the movie "On the Edge" he's the hero. He plays an aging runner that enters a competition run by one of his former colleges turned advisory.

Edited by Bramble Mountain Buzzard

So... what's yore point?

ts

That's what I figgered... 'cause I got all them old emails... ALL OF 'EM.

There was never any threats to anybody... real or imagined. NOBODY.

Since ya can't alter "sent" emails... anybody wants to see 'em... I will give them free reign to inspect 'em... and investigate 'em.

Ya know... sometimes... it's better to bury the hatchet... than to carry it to yore grave. That's not a threat... but I could understand you takin' it so... but that is just ME. I am trying to live to January 1st.

Got nothin' to add... how 'bout you? What's a matter... cat got yore tongue?

ts

???????

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 13, 2016 - refers to hidden posts
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 13, 2016 - refers to hidden posts

Same here What the .....???????????????????????

This is a thread about Bruce Derns and how well he did his job on bad guy roles, and whether or not he had any good guy roles.

Bugler

Wasn't Bruce Dern the only guy to shoot John Wayne in the back?

I'm not a John Wayne or the highway fan of his, but after that, I wanted to punch Bruce Dern in the face, even if it was 40 years after the movie!

In "Down Periscope" he plays an Admiral who is trying to rig a sea trial by using a screw-up captain (Kelsey Grammer) and a broken down sub. He might not be a "bad" guy, but he sure isn't "good".

Wasn't Bruce Dern the only guy to shoot John Wayne in the back?

I'm not a John Wayne or the highway fan of his, but after that, I wanted to punch Bruce Dern in the face, even if it was 40 years after the movie!

How 'bout the bartender in The Shootist?

Or the cute girl in El Dorado?

That's the ones I remember.

Haven't seen The Shootist in decades, and not familiar with El Dorado........

In "Coming Home" he commits suicide rather than be married to Jane Fonda. I was proud of him!

A true bad guy would have killed Jane Fonda.

• Like 1

In "Down Periscope" he plays an Admiral who is trying to rig a sea trial by using a screw-up captain (Kelsey Grammer) and a broken down sub. He might not be a "bad" guy, but he sure isn't "good".

Funny, I don't remember anyone other than Lt Emily Lake from that movie. :D

From Bruce Dern's own words...

John Wayne tole him... "You gonna be hated after this movie"... (paraphrasin')...

Just an FYI...

ts

Then Dern said "but they'll love me in Berkley!". Also paraphrasing)