SASS Wire Forum

Question about shotshell belt for a double?

San Joaquin Shootist

new Mernickle mil-spec elastic double-shell loops are as fast as I can go - lay middle finger between the pair of shells as I grab them.

GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708

Howdy,

Does everyone who runs a double use a shotshell belt with two rounds per pouch? I'm curious if anyone loads a double from a single loop shotshell belt still grabbing two shells of course?

SJS

I normally use a shotshell belt with two rounds per pouch. However when I need to carry more than eight rounds I wear a canvas belt with single loops.

I shoot a double. I've used single loops that hold two and I've used single loops (that hold one each) spaced closely together. I've found the latter to space the shells better for loading into the gun. Less fumble.

I've been using single loop ammo belts/slides since I started CAS 25 years ago.

I can pull two rounds from anywhere on the belt without an empty loop between pairs.

Same method when using any model shotgun (SxS with or without hammers, '97, or 1887).

I have one double-loop snap-on slide that came with a complete gunbelt setup.

Does anyone use a bandolier? I saw a guy with one at BAC a couple of months ago. He wasn't world record fast but it seemed to work for him.

Does anyone use a bandolier? I saw a guy with one at BAC a couple of months ago. He wasn't world record fast but it seemed to work for him.

I do. The tupelo bando works great. Especially for a double. I have a harder time using it with the 87, but I'm never going to be fast with that gun anyway.

I have a single loop belt I leave an open loop between each two

+1

I use a slide that hold 8 rounds. Each round is in it's own loop but it's spaced between each 2 like as if there is an empty loop between 2 singles on a belt. I also have a belt. On that I just load up how ever many rounds I think I will need and grab from the left, 2 at a time. I tried the 2 shell loops and like McCandless mentioned, it gets fumbly that way because the rounds aren't spaced when you pull them.

Boozy Creek & Quickly Down Under come to mind & they're both pretty fast.

I have a single loop belt I leave an open loop between each two

Me too, On the rare occasions when I use a '97, I can put 3 shells in adjoining loops, skip one loop then put a single in the 5th loop so I can grab 4 at a time in my left hand, fitting the 4th shell between the ring and middle finger. Saves one trip to the belt.

Edited by J-BAR #18287

I use a single loop belt for sxs and 97s.

With a double, I pair shotshells, skip a loop, pair, skip, then four-plus, working from left to right. The four-plus are for a missed target or in case I forget to reload my belt for the next stage (never happened except in my mind).

With the 97: three, skip, two (for four shot stages). I usually end up with the fifth shell in my hand ready for a missed shot.

I've been using single loop ammo belts/slides since I started CAS 25 years ago.

I can pull two rounds from anywhere on the belt without an empty loop between pairs.

Same method when using any model shotgun (SxS with or without hammers, '97, or 1887).

I have one double-loop snap-on slide that came with a complete gunbelt setup.

Had I started out like PaleWolf, I would have a few more championships in my pocket. As it is, I finally learned the hard way. This is the best way, in my opinion. I use the Doc Noper single canvas shotshell belt with 5 rifle/pistol reloads on each side. This is the best in the west..in my use of the side by side shotgun or the 97.

I use a bandoleer & love it !

Smokestack is real quick with one..then that's the same for pistols & rifle !!

Howdy,

Does everyone who runs a double use a shotshell belt with two rounds per pouch? I'm curious if anyone loads a double from a single loop shotshell belt still grabbing two shells of course?

SJS

Yep, generally only use a slide with single loops just inboard of the strong side holster. Belt holds 24 rounds in single loops also. I tried the double loops early on, and found I fumbled more than when in singles.

Your choice of single vs. double loop pouches should be determined by how you grab the shells. I grab them from the side between the forefinger and thumb of my weak hand. For that reason a double pouch works best for me. If you grab them from the top with your middle finger between the shells with your strong hand, single loops would probably work best for you. Here's a Longhunter video of both techniques. (Even though he uses the same belt for both.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGSHqDDlCL0

Edited by Shooting Bull

Your choice of single vs. double loop pouches should be determined by how you grab the shells. I grab them from the side between the forefinger and thumb of my weak hand. For that reason a double pouch works best for me. If you grab them from the top with your middle finger between the shells with your strong hand, single loops would probably work best for you. Here's a Longhunter video of both techniques. (Even though he uses the same belt for both.)

Different strokes as they say. I load thumb behind shells with weak hand and prefer the single loop. Imo the single loop when spaced correctly gives the perfect amount of space between the shells to load they just rock right in.

Mu suggestion as with most things try both and see what you like.

EMM

The concept of trying to keep the shells spaced correctly from the belt,bando or whatever your using to the chambers while also trying to get max speed has never made sense to me I guess. I let the gun do that and try to do everything else as efficiently as possible. When someone shows me different on the timer I'll starting thinking about changing and teaching differently.

The concept of trying to keep the shells spaced correctly from the belt,bando or whatever your using to the chambers while also trying to get max speed has never made sense to me I guess. I let the gun do that and try to do everything else as efficiently as possible. When someone shows me different on the timer I'll starting thinking about changing and teaching differently.

I can only speak from my experience and my technique. But when I use a double pouch or a single loop that places the brass touching my shells will split apart.

EMN

I tried different ways and loop configurations. Finally settled on what gives me a lesser case of the fumble-fingers and I practice that.

Edited by McCandless

Howdy,

SJS

I have been using a belt with 24 single loops on it, loaded with two rounds high, one down low, and the next two high again, etc.

I grab two at a time to feed the gun, but have spare ammo if I need a single to finish a really bad run! :blink:

I just had made a snap on belt slide that holds 8 shells in pockets of two each will be doing dry fire with snap caps, in anticipation of this spring.

Shadow Catcher

The pouches on my shotgun belts hold two rounds with a small space between pouches. When I don't do a fumble fingers it works great.

Lucky

PICT0298.jpg

I usually make double loop/pocket slides and belts for myself. I bought myself the mernickle belt at eot and received it right before the se regional and really enjoyed the fact that the shells didn't fall out like pockets and even when only one shell was in it it still had enough tension to hold it I got the double loop belt and do not regret it. I'll probably order a three holsters at wr this year.

I use a double shell belt made by JM Leather and love it.I am not fast but try.I think cowboys like Deuce Stevens and Possum Skinner and some others will be fast no matter how they hold there shell.Just drop the rounds in a Qt. bucket and they would still be fast.They put the hours in and work very hard at the cowboy skills.I have never seen Deuce in person but watch him on you-tube but I get to shoot with Possum and they are fun to watch.Both these cowboys help any cowboy or cowgirl that need help.There are so many fast cowboys and cowgirls out there with their shotguns.Love to watch them shoot their shotguns.

With Sassy needing a shotgun belt, I have started looking at today's new designs and such. I have been a fan of double "pockets" for a number of years, having several different version mostly differing in lay-out of rifle loops. With use of a superior elastic these days I am wondering if single row could not be a fine ticket even for double shooters. The single row canvas I had years ago was, as SS mentioned was fine, but for me it placed a tad more gap between two shells in my grab to please me. The elastic might not create that problem. The advantage I can imagine with the single row elastic is a more "endless" supply of shells and IF one was dropped, then just a reach for next two , or one, would have no thought as to a specific pair or pouch. However, I do not see an advantage in even the elastic if one felt the need to a skip loop in pairing. From the input shared here on this thread, this new elastic appears to be very long lasting. GJ mentioned one belt he has by Mernickle, but I have really been eyeing the elastic version race belt by Doc Noper. Anyone else have thoughts?

Edited by Billy Boots, # 20282 LTG-Regulator

I use a single loop belt from Idaho Leaher for my ten gauge 3-1/2: and Hunter belts for duck hunting tens and, for fun, my 8 gauge 4-1/4". I can get 2 at a time to load my double for SASS. I use single loops for my "learner" .38 and .22 belts. I may buy double loops for my "newbies" in the future.

I use a leather belt with single elastic loops made by Red Cent Leather.Have tried double loop leather,but the elastic seems easier and quicker to grab shells for my double barrel. Excellent quality,workmanship,and price. Add a slide for pistol/rifle reloads and you are set.