SASS Wire Forum

1866 Winchester Commemorative!?

Rancho Roy

grand-prize.jpg

Winchester is running a contest where the Grand Prize is a Commemorative 1866..............Is winchester bringing out a "new" 1866 or are they giving away a vintage 1866. Nowhere does it spell this out.

http://winchester150th.com/share-memory.html

Edited by Roy B

Atz a good question Roy.

The rifle shown in the picture is a vintage 1866. Don't know if there giving that one away or not. Winchester (Miroku) is purported to be making a "new" 1866, but other than the one on display at the shot show, nobody I know has seen hide nor hair of the new manufacture 1866.

Would be good/bad if it's the one in the picture. Good .... a collectable 1866 (yuck) that you can't get ammunition for. Bad .... a collectable 1866 you can't get ammunition for. I'd actually like to see the Miroku 1866. I really like Brass Rifles (4 Henrys and an 1866).

Coffinmaker

PS: Make that a consumer priced Miroku 1866. The "Commemorative" is just a couple of bucks out of my budget.

Edited by Colorado Coffinmaker

Atz a good question Roy.

The rifle shown in the picture is a vintage 1866. Don't know if there giving that one away or not. Winchester (Miroku) is purported to be making a "new" 1866, but other than the one on display at the shot show, nobody I know has seen hide nor hair of the new manufacture 1866.

Would be good/bad if it's the one in the picture. Good .... a collectable 1866 (yuck) that you can't get ammunition for. Bad .... a collectable 1866 you can't get ammunition for. I'd actually like to see the Miroku 1866. I really like Brass Rifles (4 Henrys and an 1866).

Coffinmaker

PS: Make that a consumer priced Miroku 1866. The "Commemorative" is just a couple of bucks out of my budget.

Well, you could always track down and install a centerfire conversion bolt....

I entered the contest !

My uberti 66 is in 44 Special .

So I could make room for one in 44/40 also :-)

Thanks for the post .

Atz a good question Roy.

Coffinmaker

I have seen a few listed on gun broker, generally starting around $5000. Way too rich for my blood. I did contact Winchester recently and was told that the standard model 1866 will be in the January catalog, so perhaps we will see them this year. I am considering getting one myself.

I have seen a few listed on gun broker, generally starting around $5000. Way too rich for my blood. I did contact Winchester recently and was told that the standard model 1866 will be in the January catalog, so perhaps we will see them this year. I am considering getting one myself.

Hopefully priced the same as the 73

Someone at the SHOT mentioned that they would be comparable but about $100 more. There was a big debate about why it would cost more than the steel, but I don't think anyone ever settled it.

Someone at the SHOT mentioned that they would be comparable but about $100 more. There was a big debate about why it would cost more than the steel, but I don't think anyone ever settled it.

Here you go.

http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=246569&hl=%2Bshot+%2Bshow+%2Bwinchester