SASS Wire Forum

Stop DOT from allowing voice calls on aircraft inflight

Sedalia Dave

The DOT is seeking public input on allowing people to make phone calls via Wi-Fi while in flight.

If you want to see this banned please go here and select the comment now button in the top right.

Notice of Proposed Rulemaking - Use of Mobile Wireless Devices for Voice Calls on Aircraft (Original)

https://www.regulations.gov/document?D=DOT-OST-2014-0002-1795

https://www.regulations.gov/searchResults?rpp=25&po=0&s=DOT-OST-2014-0002&fp=true&ns=true

Edited by Sedalia Dave

Because if I'm sitting next to some millenial who won't stop talking on the dang phone for two hours, his safety will be an issue. ;)

And I have some ocean front property in Colorado to sell you- :lol:

OLG

You didn't read my explanation of safety. ;)

Why should it be banned?

Imagine the most annoying person you have ever had to stand in line next to while they have a loud animated phone call.

Now imaging being trapped in the seat next to them on a plane for 2 or three hours.

Now imagine being on a plane where 20 people are all trying to out talk each other.

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 1

Because if I'm sitting next to some millenial who won't stop talking on the dang phone for two hours, his safety will be an issue. ;)

No, Bob!

Your smacking the Millineal up side his head would be the issue!

:-)

No, Bob!

Your smacking the Millineal up side his head would be the issue!

:-)

My point exactly. His safety would be jeopardized. Not mine.

I'm thinking you're talking about public transportation. Why are you more important than the phone yap person?

I'm thinking I'm as important as said phone yap person. We are living in a time when people feel entitled, regardless of the comfort of those around them. Even on public transportation, there ought to be a notion of civility and respect for others that is sadly lacking. It is one thing for a person to be absorbed in texting for hours at a time, but to be forced to sit next to one half of a conversation, often loud and animated intrudes upon my personal space.

Now add to that the possibility of safety issues involved as Joe Yapper doesn't hear and keeps me from hearing information imparted by the flight crew, and the issue becomes even more important. Think it won't happen? Tell that to the people who talk and drive, text and drive and what have you. They could not care a wit less about what is going on around them. That won't change on aircraft. Heck, even missing which gate my connecting aircraft is going to be located can cause me to miss a connection. I can see far more downsides than advantages.

I'm thinking you're talking about public transportation. Why are you more important than the phone yap person?

Actually, we are not talking about "public transportation". We're are talking about a common carrier, to whom I must pay a substantial ticket price. In exchange for that fee, I expect the carrier to keep flaming morons out of my face and my space. I can't just get up and walk away. Expect some nasty confrontations if the airlines force us to endure the boorish big mouths as they berate their employees and brag about their conquests.

LL

Well, as a matter of fact, I do, at least in my own mind. I paid to ride just like he/she did. I would expect the courtesy

of my own space.

Not that I plan to fly anytime soon, but I'll enjoy participating in their conversations, whether they'll enjoy my participation is another story.

A few years back there were phones on the backs of many airline's seats that could be used to make calls. Most people in Coach rarely used them because it cost a boatload of money to do so.

I am sure that now the cost would be much cheaper. Therefore I am against calls on planes as I love my freedom very much.

Howdy,

I always have earplugs handy too.

One day at the movies I asked for the sound to be turned down.

NO noticeable change....so I went out to the car, grabbed the earplugs

and watched the whole movie with earplugs IN.

Im sure I heard the whole movie just fine.

Best

CR

Interesting. People pay for a ride in a flying bus, cramped and confined and think they bought the plane. Its a cattle car folks.

Worst of all, the attitude. I don't like it so it should be banned. Are you kidding me?

I like Chantry's idea. If they invade your bubble relentlessly just participate in their conversation.

• Like 1

Howdy,

I always have earplugs handy too.

One day at the movies I asked for the sound to be turned down.

NO noticeable change....so I went out to the car, grabbed the earplugs

and watched the whole movie with earplugs IN.

Im sure I heard the whole movie just fine.

Best

CR

Chili Ron, I have had to do the same thing.

Common courtesy no longer dictates behavior in public. Sad.

Howdy,

In walmart last week some one left her cart unattended in line and did a little more

shopping.... tthen she came back and fiddled with coupons and left again, she pulled

this stunt again twice after the clerk started ringing up her groceries.

It took a really long time to buy maybe ten items and of course every item had a coupon.

NEVER one word of any sort of apology.

I wondered if I was being baited, maybe on camera??

Now imagine dealing with that attitude for three or four hours......

Best

CR