SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
a d texaz

break cleaner or carb cleaner

Howdy all....

later today im off to the automotive supply store for some supplies....

i think i remember that either brake,or carb cleaner contains varnish,
and varnish is bad for cleaning firearms.

Which one for cleaning firearms.

please help.

Regards,

AD

Edited by a d texaz

Either one does the job well.

There's no 'varnish' to worry about. It's a solvent.

Be sure to use it OUTSIDE.

OLG

Edited by The Original Lumpy Gritz

A D

Either one works good on cleaning parts or more exceptionally shotgun barrels. Spray in the barrels let set for 5 to 10 seconds and run a brass brush thru and it will remove all plastic and burnt powder. All your Pro Shotgun shooters that's all they use and its much cheaper than the Gun cleaning products

Goatneck

i think i remember that either brake,or carb cleaner contains varnish,

No, what you have been told is those cleaners will soften and remove varnish or most other stock finishes. Keep it off the wood. Shotgunners usually even pop the barrel(s) off the gun so there is little chance of damaging stock finish.

As LG mentioned, use it outdoors. The chemicals in those cleaners are HARD on the lungs! Brake cleaner is slightly less aggressive than carb cleaner - but either will work for removing plastic or powder residue from shotgun barrels. Will not remove copper or lead fouling from rifle or revolver barrels very well. Bore cleaners are better there!

Good luck, GJ

Be sure to buy the NON-Chlorinated formula. It is less likely to damage plastics.

Chlorinated solvents when heated above 600 degrees or exposed to strong UV radiation can form deadly phosgene gas. Many a welder has had to learn this the hard way and way to many don't survive the first lesson.

Chlorinated solvents when mixed with water will also form hydrochloric acid.

The non-chlorinated versions may require a little elbow grease to do the job but are much safer in the long run.

Edited by Sedalia Dave
  • Like 2

And lube well after. They remove any & all rust preventative products.

I use Ed's Red which is equal parts Acetone, Kerosene, Mineral Spirits and Dextron 3.

Keep in metal or glass container. Never store in plastic containers. I store in 50 cal ammo can and metal container that the acetone came in.

There is also an Ed's Red oil made from equal parts of Kerosene and Dextron 3 which works well.

• Like 1

A spiral Tornado brush works better, as it pushes out the plastic instead of tearing it up like a bristle brush.

Last time I picked up some solvent at the Auto Parts store (NAPA). They recommended a product from CASTLE "ShopSolv" recyclable(?) non-clorinated multi-purpose solvent. I pretty much use the spray solvents to remove all the dirty cleaners from the guns I've cleaned and spray off the parts over an empty box. Brake cleaners leave a wicked odor in the shop right up there with the cleaners including Ed's Red. Seems to be hardly any odor from this stuff and seems to wash of the parts admirably. It comes in a 16.5 ounce spay can. Don't remember the cost but it was cheaper than Brake Kleen.YMMV

Edited by Eyesa Horg

Don't use carburetor cleaner on guns,It has a mild acid in it that will damage blueing.The non chlorinated Brake clean is what you want to use,But as others have said,Apply oil afterward because it will take all the oil out of the metal.

I use Brake Cleaner, sparingly. BUT only on metal parts. Non-Chlorinated brake cleaner shouldn't harm most gun plastics but any solvent can. Carb Cleaner EATS plastics. The chlorinated brake cleaner is a much better metal cleaner but as Sedalia Dave said they are bad for the environment and for you. They all eat varnish and gun stock coatings, to some degree.

Like with any solvent, make sure you have good ventilation

Brake cleaner is extremely dangerous when exposed to heat and too aggressive for gun cleaning when plastics and finished wood is involved. I much prefer starting fluid. It is very fast and cheap. Just make sure you are in a no smoking area when you use it.

and wear safety glasses too, if u don't already wear glasses,,, don't ask how I know how much carb cleaner hurts,,,it removes oils from your eyes too!!!

and have water nearby to use as a flush just in case!!

CRC QD ("Quick-Dry") electronic cleaner, red can, $4.99 cheapest place to get is Walmart.

If it won't hurt electronics, it won't hurt your guns. Plus, I've been using it for 3 1/2 years on all my guns since I saw the Blackfish Kid using it at a shoot.

I clean 4 new Vaqueros, 2 1873's, & 2 SKB's at least once/week, sometimes twice.

Makes for a very easy cleanup. And, I use nothing but Break-free for clean & lube afterward. I do put a few dabs of Extreme Weapons Grease EWG in obvious places on the rifles Seers, lever to lifter arm, hammer where the bolt extension contacts. I know there are lots of personal views on the lubes.

• Like 1

Pretty harsh stuff y'all are using.

I use Froglube almost exclusively and my guns clean up with very little effort. It doesn't hurt me or my guns. Most everything just wipes off. Except for the carrier in my '73, which I have to brush clean. During reassembly I wipe everything down with a microfiber cloth to make sure there's no surface residue that will turn sticky in the cold.

I have used these products almost everyday for the last 25 years. This is what I have found.

First, not all brake parts cleaners are the same. Some are harsh enough to damage plastic parts and finishes. If you aren't certain the product is safe then just purchase Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber Synthetic Safe Cleaner.

http://www.mountsplus.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/Birchwood-Casey-Gun-Scrubber-Firearm-Cleaner_13-oz.jpg

I have never experience damage to any gun parts or finish using it.

For that reason, many years ago I contacted a manufacturer of a brake parts cleaning product sold by Autozone and ask them how it compared to the B-C Gunscrub. Comparing the ingredients they told me it was the same thing as their non-chlorinated Brake parts cleaner. This product made by Albany Brake parts company, packaged in Lafayette La. was sold at Autozone parts store. But, since that time Autozone has it packaged with their name on it.

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znetcs/product-info/en/US/ptr/AZP-10/image/4/

A word of caution, I don't use Carb cleaners. Some Carburetor cleaners are caustic. They can be too harsh on bluing, wood finishes and plastic parts.

Lucas Oil Outdoor Line Contact Cleaner is all I use, anymore. Developed specifically for the purpose by Lucas Oil. Their lubricants and metal polish work great, as well.

You guys must be gettin' rich with all the nickels yer saving using brake cleaner. What's wrong with gun cleaners.

Can't get rich saving nickels anymore... but, just like pennies... a nickel saved, is a nickel earned. Which can be spent on primers, powder, range fees... ad nauseam! Why make the gun cleaner makers rich?

You guys must be gettin' rich with all the nickels yer saving using brake cleaner. What's wrong with gun cleaners.

Have you compared prices- :o

Automotive supply, is so much cheaper ounce to ounce.

I uses NAPA products and buy by the case.

OLG

• Like 1

Gun Cleaner would work out to about $100.00 for a years worth at the rate I use it.

Non-chlorinated brake cleaner costs about $25.00 for the same amount.

Might not be getting rich but the math is pretty convincing.

• Like 1

I use Simple Green for cleaning all my black powder guns. How well would Break Cleaner work on BP compaired to SG?

I use Simple Green for cleaning all my black powder guns. How well would Break Cleaner work on BP compaired to SG?

Brake cleaner wouldn't work on BP fouling.

Brake cleaner is used to soften / dissolve grease, oil, etc.

Why make the gun cleaner makers rich?

Because I like to be able to clean guns in the house and in motel rooms without haz mat crews getting called or myself kicked out of an establishment.

:lol:

And I value my lungs and what's left of my brain function and eyesight.

And I don't like having to be real careful where the overspray lands.

I shoot a lot, and buy about 4 cans of spray gun cleaner a year. For that $40, I sleep well and don't worry.

Besides, I would much rather make a gun product company "rich" than some real estate sharpie from Arkansas or New York.

Good luck, GJ

Edited by Garrison Joe, SASS #60708
  • Like 2

I usually just scrub out and finish up using shotgun jags with O-Rings. I not use these jags on my Revolvers, Shotguns, and anything else I have that has to be cleaned from the muzzle end. I have used Electronics Cleaner to prep firearms prior to Cerekote, but I generally don't like using anything that harsh on my guns, unless using it to remove lapping compound. Be careful when using acetone, gun scrubber, break cleaner, or electronics cleaner of any non metallic surfaces; as these are chemicals that will melt plastic, ruin wood finishes, and can possibly damage bluing / firearms finishes.

Edited by BartEnder

I don't use either on my CAS guns. But they are awesome on my bottom feeders.

Nickle City Dude....continue on with Simple Green.

I spray a tad of CLP after and run a clean patch through.

Shanley runs a bore snake!

....! Why make the gun cleaner makers rich?

Because I own stock? :lol:

I clean all my BP guns with Simple Green and Hot Water .

Then spray with Balistal and blow off with air compressor.

Works great .

On Smokeless .

I still use Hoppies #9.

Works great .

• Like 1

CRC QD ("Quick-Dry") electronic cleaner, red can, $4.99 cheapest place to get is Walmart.

If it won't hurt electronics, it won't hurt your guns. Plus, I've been using it for 3 1/2 years on all my guns since I saw the Blackfish Kid using it at a shoot.

I clean 4 new Vaqueros, 2 1873's, & 2 SKB's at least once/week, sometimes twice.

Makes for a very easy cleanup. And, I use nothing but Break-free for clean & lube afterward. I do put a few dabs of Extreme Weapons Grease EWG in obvious places on the rifles Seers, lever to lifter arm, hammer where the bolt extension contacts. I know there are lots of personal views on the lubes.

Hey MAX, I also saw Blackfish Kid using that electronics cleaner at a match. So, I went out and got me a couple cans and it does work very well.

I also use brake cleaner and other good designated Gun cleaning products and lubes.

..........Widder

• Like 1

Break cleaner or carb cleaner? An interesting question.

My answer: Hoppes #9.

Break cleaner is for breaks.

Carb cleaner is for carberators. (Don't ask me how to spell it)

Hoppes is for guns.

Edited by H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

odorless mineral spirits works pretty well and no smell. you can reuse the 'used' spirits until you decide they're too dirty. cheap too.
rec by a pistol smith. he soaks the guns in it.

brake cleaner is nasty stuff, but works.

carb cleaner i've always been told leaves a residue (on purpose).
at the bus garage they use starting fluid. yep, ether or whatever it is. works to clean the goo of new brake rotors.

part cleaner in garages, etc is mineral spirits.

1. There's nothing like Windex with Vinegar and water for BP cleaning followed by Ballistol. I sure don't need death sprays!!! :wub:

2. My guns function just fine and have for decades. :)