SASS Wire Forum

Cold? Try fleece....

Chili Ron

Howdy,

Fleece vest or jacket or both....

Light and work great.

Just don't git it wet and cover it with a layer to stop wind.

Trapped air is great insulation and weighs next to nothing.

And if all else fails try rum and coke...;)

Best

CR

Keep yer noggin covered and keep your gloved hands around a hot cup of cocoa laced with a liberal shot of Bailey's Irish Cream. Look for polar fleece with wind block. It helps alot too.

Lots of good ideas...But I still think two blonds are better...

TL

And 2 BIG blonds are best!

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

I love fleece; much to my surprise, my local paper ran an article last week regarding an environmental concern regarding fleece. It seems fleece garments shed fibers like crazy in the wash, and the wash water (if it discharges into a municipal system) then deposits those fibers into streams and oceans and beaches - not good.

Take a look here:

http://www.outsideonline.com/2091876/patagonias-new-study-finds-fleece-jackets-are-serious-pollutant

I may be headed back to wool and real fur.

LL

Howdy,

I never heard of this microfiber shedding.

It seems like the washing machine folks should filter this out.

And jackets get washed only from time to time, not every week.

We are headed for sub zero this week and Im outta jackalope hides.

Best

CR

I am a static magnet. When it's dry and cold the worst thing I can wear is anything poly, especially fleece.

I remember years ago I was in NC and it was in the 30's and very dry. I was wearing a fleece liner in my rain jacket. I walked up to a liquor store door and as I reached for the door an arc come from my hand to the door handle that was at least 15" long, I kid you not. Made my arm numb and hurt like crazy/ People inside the store asked "What the heck was that?" when I walked in. They could hardly believe it, even though they saw it. From that day on I exited my truck by grabbing the door metal and then setting my foot on the ground but I still get zapped if I am wearing synthetics.

Wool, wool and more wool. Its kept sheep warm and dry. Its natural and seems to last forever. I've tried all the newest stuff over the years and always go back to wool.

Rubber soles?

Howdy,

I never heard of this microfiber shedding.

It seems like the washing machine folks should filter this out.

And jackets get washed only from time to time, not every week.

We are headed for sub zero this week and Im outta jackalope hides.

Best

CR

I have never seen a filter in a washing machine, driers yes, washing machines no. After I typed that, I googled it, sure enough some washers have filters, but they would never be fine enough to filter out the particles described in these reports.

My washing machine wastewater does not go into rivers and oceans. it goes into my septic system.

True that "Jackets get washed only from time to time" but I have observed some people who have no sense of that and washed everything that gets used very often.

Rubber soles?

I have never seen a filter in a washing machine, driers yes, washing machines no. After I typed that, I googled it, sure enough some washers have filters, but they would never be fine enough to filter out the particles described in these reports.

My washing machine wastewater does not go into rivers and oceans. it goes into my septic system.

True that "Jackets get washed only from time to time" but I have observed some people who have no sense of that and washed everything that gets used very often.

Yeah; mine too. But thinking about it some, that water ends up running through soil, and then in an aquifer, and then in your neighbor's well, and then in his mouth. I'm not sure that natural filtration through soils removes the fibers, either.

LL

Got some. Carhartts too. And thermal undies. And wool socks. And toe warmers. Gloves, Mittens, Hoods, mufflers, Trooper Hats, etc etc etc :D

FDPMjN.jpg

Edited by Utah Bob #35998

TL

They won't come outside though. They like fireplaces. ;)

There's real fleece and microfiber, which everybody calls fleece these days. Real fleece is wool!

I am a static magnet. When it's dry and cold the worst thing I can wear is anything poly, especially fleece.

I remember years ago I was in NC and it was in the 30's and very dry. I was wearing a fleece liner in my rain jacket. I walked up to a liquor store door and as I reached for the door an arc come from my hand to the door handle that was at least 15" long, I kid you not. Made my arm numb and hurt like crazy/ People inside the store asked "What the heck was that?" when I walked in. They could hardly believe it, even though they saw it. From that day on I exited my truck by grabbing the door metal and then setting my foot on the ground but I still get zapped if I am wearing synthetics.

It must be your electric personality... :D :D

That's exactly right... Uturn... real fleece is wool. Guess folks never saw Jason and the Golden Fleece.

But if it ain't real wool... or fleece... I don't want it.

You want to develop a tolerance for cold... stay outside a lot... and go campin' this time of year. I tent-camped over the weekend with a buncha SCV fellas... but I had a log-perch... right close-like to the fire. May be gettin' too old for that. But it is still fun.

ts

This is true but if you have two blonds why do want to go outside....

TL

That firewood won't cut itsef. ;)

That's exactly right... Uturn... real fleece is wool. Guess folks never saw Jason and the Golden Fleece.

But if it ain't real wool... or fleece... I don't want it.

You want to develop a tolerance for cold... stay outside a lot... and go campin' this time of year. I tent-camped over the weekend with a buncha SCV fellas... but I had a log-perch... right close-like to the fire. May be gettin' too old for that. But it is still fun.

ts

Winter tent camping is great but for me it's "hot camping": an outfitters'-type tent with a wood stove and cots. Do a lot of it with kids and grandkids. I definitely agree you get a tolerance for cold-- as long as you're prepared for it!

Wool is best, but modern polyester fleece has a place. Both keep you warm if wet, the main thing in winter. I use a lot of wool but still have polypro pullovers and especially long underwear. But mostly I use wool pants and shirts.

Edited by Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619

TL[/quote

Talking about your cocker spaniels again TL?

Old jingle from the '50's - "No matter if it's wet and cold - you're always warm in wool!"

• Like 1

I have a couple of M51army surplus wool field shirts. Wore em all the time in Germany in the winter. Warm wet or dry. Great for when it's too cold for even my Duluth Trading Co. shirts.

I was reading about the Aleutians campaign and how the 7th Division trained for Africa but then were committed to the Aleutians. They had no winter clothing but it was available. However the commanders thought the heavy winter gear woul slow the troops down. So it wasn't issued. Men froze to death on Attu.

Some folks should have been court martialed.