SASS Wire Forum

Shell holder?

Pit Bull Tex

Is one shell holder better than the other?I know I need one that fits the press but some say they will fit different presses.I have a Lee box of shell holder but it did not come with one that fits 44-40 .

Edited by Pit Bull Tex

There are at least 3 different #s. Lee-#14-----Rcbs- #35--- Lyman-#14B was wondering if one was better than the other.

I use the shell holder that is for the press and cartridge..so lee shell holder on a lee press, dillon on a dillon...never had one break or wear out so can't say any one brand of shellholder is any different than any other.

i use lee dies in a dillon 650 because i had the dies from my loadmaster..i make accurate ammo and have no issues.

Years ago, RCBS, Lyman, Lee and others standardized shell holders. I find that all of mine from the 3 mentioned brands all work in my old Lyman press.

+10

Except for the manufacturers marks you probably cannot tell the difference between them.

My Lee chart in the box say #11 or #14 for 45 colt.The #11 will not work with 44-40.I am guessing that the 38-40 will fit the #11 or the #14 but don't have a 38-40 to see.

Howdy Pit.

If you are wanting a shell holder to use with the LEE hand primer, then NO, they are not the same, unless Lee has changed their design.

BUT, if you are wanting a shell holder to use with a reloading press, the appropriate shell holder for that caliber is 'BASICALLY' the same.

The reason I say 'Basically' is because some shell holders might set your cartridge higher/lower than another shell holder.

In other words, if you set your die up for a particular bullet seating depth OR crimp using a particular brand of shell holder, switching brands of shell holder could possibly change the bullet seating depth and crimp by a few thousandths. Maybe not enough to make much difference but still something to consider.

Hope I explained this well enough.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

Pit Bull:

Lee #14 for 44-40 & 38-40, Lee #11 for 45 Colt is what I have used for the last 15 years

--Dawg

I have shell-holders from Lyman, RCBS, Lee, Pacific & Redding... all fit my RCBS Rockchucker. and yes, it does get confusing sometimes as to which fits what case. In addition, some brands are held to tighter tolerances than others... the only explanation I can come up with as to why my .40-90SBN from Bertram won't fit in my Pacific #14 shell-holder, but does fit my RCBS #14.

I'm thinking that they might be a difference in the thickness of the holder not much but some so some size the brass further down than others iirc

I learned the importance of always using the exact shell holder that was used to setup the reloading dies. In other words don't setup your dies with a shell holder & expect to get the same seating depth, etc. with different brand shell holders.