SASS Wire Forum

WWII history buffs: Hacksaw Ridge movie

Widder, SASS #59054

I've read where Desmond Doss was an ARMY medic.

I thought during the movie, a couple lines from his Sergeant mentioned 'The Corp'.

Which made me think he was in the Marines.

ALSO, I wasn't aware of any ARMY activity on Okinawa, where Desmond Doss served so valiantly.

Question: Was he a medic in the ARMY or a Corpman for a Marine Battalion?

..........Widder

Howdy Widder

Here's his CMOH citation, including Unit, Rank, Organization, Dates, Place, and Citation Details

http://www.cmohs.org/recipient-detail/2717/doss-desmond-t.php

From Wikipedia

The United States created the Tenth Army, a cross-branch force consisting of the the 7th, 27th, 77th, and 96th divisions of the U.S. Army with the 1st and 6th divisions of the Marines Corps, to fight on the island. The Tenth was unique as it had its own tactical air force (joint Army-Marine Command), and was also supported by combined naval and amphibious forces.

There was both Army and Marines in the battles for Okinawa. My neighbor was in the Army during WW2 and he was there and I think Saipan both. I know he said he was in on 2 island campaigns. He passed away from a fall almost 2 years ago. I sure miss Everett.

Pards, thanks for the info.

I have since checked out those websites and other info and discovered information like the post above.

Dang, that was a HUGE and deadly task, for ALL involved.

..........Widder

There's a monument to the 77th Infantry Division here on Guam. Apparently they participated in a lot of the island campaigns.

Guam, the Philippines, Okinawa, and Occupation of Japan, which really is a lot considering their first combat was Guam in July 44.

From Wiipedia:

The 77th Infantry Division landed in Hawaii, 31 March 1944, and continued training in amphibious landings and jungle warfare. Elements began to leave Hawaii, 1 July 1944, for the amphibious assault on Guam. Attached to III Amphibious Force, the 77th made an assault landing on Guam, 21 July 1944. After taking over defense of the beachhead, the division drove north to seize Mount Tenjo and effected junction with the 3d Marine Division, linking the northern and southern bridgeheads, 23–29 July. It continued to drive north, and dislodged the enemy from positions at Barrigada town and mountain, 4 August, resistance ending on 8 August. With Guam recaptured, the 77th sailed for New Caledonia, but plans were changed en route and it was directed to proceed to Leyte. The division landed on the east coast of Leyte, 23 November 1944, and was attached to XXIV Corps, Sixth Army. After a short period of training and combat patrolling in the Corps' rear, 23 November – 6 December, it landed at Ipil and fought up the east coast of Ormoc Bay to seize Ormoc, 10 December. Attacking north, astride Highway No. 2, the division secured Valencia and the Libungao-Palompon road junction. Mopping up operations continued through January 1945 to 5 February 1945.

The next combat assignment was Okinawa. In late March (26–29), the division made 15 landings, securing Kerama Retto and Keise Shima for the assault on Okinawa. Riding at sea, 1–15 April 1945, it suffered casualties from enemy suicide attacks, and prepared for the assault landing on Ie Shima. On 16 April 1945, the 77th landed on Ie Shima, captured the airfield, and engaged in a bitter fight for "Government House Hill" and "Bloody Ridge". It was in this operation that Ernie Pyle was killed. On 25 April, it left Ie Shima for Okinawa, relieving the 96th Division, 28 April 1945. Fighting its way slowly against extremely heavy Japanese resistance, the division drove to Shuri in conjunction with the 1st Marine Division, occupying it 29–31 May. In June the division covered the right flank of XXIV Corps and "sealed" Japanese cave positions. In July the division moved to Cebu, Philippine Islands, and prepared for the proposed invasion of Japan. The division landed in Japan in October 1945 for occupation duty, and was inactivated a few months later, 15 March 1946.

There's a monument to the 77th Infantry Division here on Guam. Apparently they participated in a lot of the island campaigns.

My father in law was in most of them. Woubede twice on Oki and evecuated. Finished the war in the hospital in Atlanta. Passed away last year at 90. He loved the 77th Div cap I gave him.

aeKRk5.jpg

j3VGb6.jpg

Edited by Utah Bob #35998

Many people think the war in the pacific was a marine Corps thing. But the Army was a much larger organization and had more troops in theater.The Crps did the bulk of the amphib assaults.

One of the last two WWI guys in our VFW post was with the 77th. He loved the Thompson on Guam but was lss fond of it in the open country on Okinawa. He was there on IeShima when Ernie Pyle was killed.