SASS Wire Forum

Civil War Logistics

Subdeacon Joe

Currently reading a good book about little known stuff on the Civil War ( War of Norther Agression to you southern folks ) . . . . the lagistics of supplying thousands of soulders with a wagon trail behind the army was a major factor in many engagements . . . . .

Its didn't mention anything about the mules/horses on the front of the wagon.

Where do you think they got their fresh meats?

..........Widder

Sherman to the officer in charge of his supply train: "If you don't supply my army, and keep it supplied, we will eat up your mules, sir."

Currently reading a good book about little known stuff on the Civil War ( War of Norther Agression to you southern folks ) . . . . the lagistics of supplying thousands of soulders with a wagon trail behind the army was a major factor in many engagements . . . . .

It has always been this way, Alexander, Hannibal, Caesar, Attila, Richard the Lionheart, Washington, Napoleon, Patton, Eisenhower, Schwartzkopf. all were concerned with logistics.

Its didn't mention anything about the mules/horses on the front of the wagon.Where do you think they got their fresh meats?..........Widder

Fresh?? Hahaha. Salt beef and salt pork were the meats.

Troops kearned to test the freshness by thrwing a hunk at a tree. If it bounced off it was edible. If it stuck...pass.

It's all the behind the scenes people.

"What did you do in the war?"

"I made boxes. lots & lots of boxes"

Here's a question: does anybody know of a good, readable, even adventurous book about wartime logistics, or logistics units?

All good military histories will devote some ink to logistics; mostly to acknowledge the importance, etc. They may have an example or two. Everybody knows that an "army travels on its stomach", etc. Everybody pays some passing homage to logistics.

We all read about how the railroads were torn up, then repaired, in the Civil War, to use just one example. But it never has much detail.

But is there a really good book (or more) about it? Stories of how the supplies were organized, how they got through tough opposition, on and on? There must have been a lot more guys in logistics than in combat, and there must be many stories to tell, from many eras.

There must be some little-known gem out there about the subject.....

Yep. Google "The Red Ball Express." All about the "supply train" of trucks supplying (trying to supply) the allied forces following the breakout after D-Day

Coffinmaker

PS" "There were trucks from horizon to horizon"

Yep. Google "The Red Ball Express." All about the "supply train" of trucks supplying (trying to supply) the allied forces following the breakout after D-Day

Coffinmaker

PS" "There were trucks from horizon to horizon"

Yes, but the subject was Civil War logistics. The thing I remember from the movie, "The Red Ball Express" was that poor driver who jumped down from the cab of his truck...and hit a mine! :(:(:(

Now, that is just the hard crackers. Add in the meat, the "desecrated" vegetables, flour, salt, sugar (if they were lucky), coffee, soap, candles, clothing, munitions, tools, arms. and lord knows what else, and you have quite a load out.

COFFEE!!!! What army were you with. :P

Ours only had chicory. :D:D:D

COFFEE!!!! What army were you with. :P

Ours only had chicory. :D:D:D

COFFEE!!!! What army were you with

The Union had no shortage of coffee they in fact drank copious quantities when they had the time to boil it. On the march they just chewed the beans. When the armies were close coffee was traded for tobacco Edited by Henry T Harrison

Gosh, Sorry Trailrider. I thought Red asked about any stories about the logistics.

Current ratio of support troops to line troops is about 7 to 1.

Edited by Colorado Coffinmaker

The Union had no shortage of coffee they in fact drank copious quantities when they had the time to boil it. On the march they just chewed the beans. When the armies were close coffee was traded for tobacco

There is a nice scene in "Gods and Generals" where Union and Confederate pickets do a "truce" to trade coffee & tobacco.

The Union had no shortage of coffee they in fact drank copious quantities when they had the time to boil it. On the march they just chewed the beans. When the armies were close coffee was traded for tobacco

Federal quartermasters were quite generous in supplying the CSA for the first two years of the war.

Gosh, Sorry Trailrider. I thought Red asked about any stories about the logistics.

Current ratio of support troops to line troops is about 7 to 1.

Yes, I did. An interesting conversation leads in many directions. I am interested in any writings and stories about logistics; a subject that seems to get short shrift in the literature.

Yes, but the subject was Civil War logistics. The thing I remember from the movie, "The Red Ball Express" was that poor driver who jumped down from the cab of his truck...and hit a mine! :(:(:(

But is there a really good book (or more) about it? Stories of how the supplies were organized, how they got through tough opposition, on and on? There must have been a lot more guys in logistics than in combat, and there must be many stories to tell, from many eras.

He said from many eras so Red Ball Express would apply.

I had some relatives in the Civil War, Illinois Regiments. One of them kept a journal. He sent home a few pages at a time. One of my cousins put together a book for all of us from the journal. When reading it, one thing kept popping up for me.....they were always sick with "stomach disorder" after they received their rations. They mostly foraged for food and seemed to do ok with that. They also said it was usually after they got salted meat. I imagine it would be quite a logistics problem back then to provide that much food for the troops.

Edited by Big Sage, SASS #49891 Life

Union troops in most areas were prohibited from taking livestock, but permitted to forage for wildlife.

The shot farm pigs and butchered them before the officers found out. Called em "Slow Deer".

LOGISTICS.....Wasn't it a German officer upon entering a US camp and finding a piece of birthday cake said..." You can't beat an army who's logistics can find a soldier in battle and deliver a piece of birthday cake from home"

I believe it was Col Hessler (Robert Shaw) in the 1965 movie "Battle of the Bulge". He is in his command trailer and shows a fresh chocolate cake to his officers. He mentions the allies have so much fuel and supplies that they can fly a birthday cake from the US to Europe and deliver it before it went stale.

I made some hardtack to eat once; as an avid historian, I just wanted to experience what the CW soldiers experienced first hand. It was as awful as they all claimed, and mine didn't even have weevils and vermin in it!

I made some hardtack to eat once; as an avid historian, I just wanted to experience what the CW soldiers experienced first hand. It was as awful as they all claimed, and mine didn't even have weevils and vermin in it!

The weevils are what gives it that little bit of ...... :D:lol::D:lol: