SASS Wire Forum

Missouri Boat Ride

Bailey Creek,5759

The Mo boat ride was the annual event of the Moniteau Creek River Raiders out of Fayette Mo. We lost our range and of course the lake for the boat ride. Our inspiration and dirving force was the late great Doolin Riggs.

A lot of the club members now shoot with the Owl Creek Sportmans Club, and Warden Callaway is helping to mold that club. Unfortuneally we only have a small creek that trickles in wet weather so no more boat ride.

Stoney

Or the scene from the movie Jose Wales...

I don't know if I deserve any credit or blame for the running of the Owl Creek River Raiders. I have no official standing. My contribution is mostly stage maintenance and making YouTube videos.

Sawmill Mary has taken over the job of treasurer and secretary.

The Missouri Boat Ride was before my time. It must have been something because I've had people far and wide comment on it.

It was quite an event. They had a pontoon boat with two shooting tables on it divided by a piece of plywood. Take the cowboy guns of your choice and all the ammo you wanted. The boat motored down the bank that had 41 targets. They had a starting post and an ending post and you could only shoot between the posts. Use whatever guns you wanted when you wanted and try to hit them all. I never succeeded. I did get a bulged barrel on my 44-40 though. Got on the boat with a straight barrel and got off with a bulge. I have no idea when it happened.

T Bones got a lake at Badlands Bar 3 maybe he could set up a stage there?.

Man, what a ride! The Great MO Boat ride was a blast. I had the pleasure of shooting it a couple times and never could load and shoot fast enough to hit them all.

I seem to recall you had two shooters at a time on the ride. From the bank it looked like the boat was crawling along. From the boat trying to shoot the targets you'd swear you were pulling skiers behind.

One of my favorite memories of the "ride" was watching two Black Powder shooter's tooling along the far side of the large farm pond/ small lake shooting the targets. The wind, well, light breeze, was blowing the same direction and speed the boat was going so after the first flurry of shots there was just a growing cloud of smoke moving along the far bank. :lol:

FWIW it was a just-for-fun side match. No score was kept. Maybe bragging rights if you could lie well enough to convince anyone you actually hit all the targets. :D

Good times.

Angus

The Mo boat ride was the annual event of the Moniteau Creek River Raiders out of Fayette Mo. We lost our range and of course the lake for the boat ride. Our inspiration and dirving force was the late great Doolin Riggs.

A lot of the club members now shoot with the Owl Creek Sportmans Club, and Warden Callaway is helping to mold that club. Unfortuneally we only have a small creek that trickles in wet weather so no more boat ride.

Stoney

I didn't know Doolin had died. He was a great guy to shoot with.

I didn't know Doolin had died. He was a great guy to shoot with.

His scenarios were good enough they should be in book form.