SASS Wire Forum

Primers sticking to the decapping pin

Sedalia Dave

Having an issue with primers sticking to the decapping pin and getting pulled back into the primer pocket. Messes up the works when you try to seat 2 primers into the same hole

Reloading some once fired fired brass from a range.

So far all the head stamps have been either Hornady or PPU.

Anyone else ever had this happen?

yes, mostly once fired and they were Speers, still happens once in a while..

I try to make sure the deprimer sticks past the case a lot!

Had this happen with Dillon dies on 9m/m and 223. Dillon advised decap pin had a square end and I should radius the end of the pin. Said the star in the primer would roll over end of pin and clamp onto the pin on hard sitting primers. Didn't help. Older Dillon dies had a wave washer under the e-clip that holds the decap rod in the die. I found it worked better if I left the washer out. Seemed to me I got a better snap from the spring when the wave washer was not there. Problem gone. Several years later noticed Dillon dies omitted the wave washer. Hmmm. Good luck and hope this was clear. GW

I had that happen a lot with small pistol primers. I solved it by slightly tapering the last 1/8" of the decaping pin with a wet stone. Just taper it enough to stop the pin from sticking inside the anvil of the spent primer and your all set.