SASS Wire Forum

Hey, CAT PEOPLE - question

Alpo

You're going out of town for a couple of days.

Do you engage a catsitter, or do you just leave out food and water, and go (because, since it uses the litter box, it don't really NEED to go out)?

Book I'm reading. They have a cat. On Tuesday they fly to Alabama to see a sister graduate on Wednesday, then Thursday they fly to Tennessee to see a second sister graduate Friday, and Saturday they fly home.

No mention made of "arrangements" for the cat.

When I'd go out of town, I'd kennel Big Brown Dog. That didn't work well. Then I started having Mama come over couple of times a day, to feed her and drain her.

Now both Mama and Big Brown Dog are dead, and when I go out of town I take Worthless with me. If she can't come, I don't go.

while our daughter was gone, if we were only going out for a weekend, we'd just make sure to leave an extra bowl of food and one of water....any longer than that and we'd get our son to come over at least every other day while we were gone....right now our daughter is living with us so she takes care of Boo if we're not home....

I have a similar situation to Mary. If we're only going to be gone a couple of days, Pongo gets extra food and water and I make sure he has a freshly cleaned box. {He is really fussy about his box.} If we're gone more than a couple of days, we hire the neighbor's son to come over and check up on him.

Yep... make sure you have an oversized or multiple litter boxes.

I have one of those jug-type watering stations and an automatic feeder... at the programmed times, my voice belts out a call to dinner. Don't be between the cats and their supper! :lol:

The first time it sounded off it confused the heck outta Sherwin... she was SO confused! She stood there and looked at me... then toward the kitchen... then at me... the kitchen... and finally walked toward my "other" voice, looking over her shoulder at me.

Makes life MUCH easier. :)

I think that's too long. For that period of time, I would kennel the little cat. If you are wary of kennels, see if your vet will kennel her...many do. If nothing else, try to find a cat sitter to come over once a day to check on your cat, give fresh water and check the kibble dispenser....that may be the best solution anyway.

We have had lots of cats (and dogs). We would leave for five days; dogs to the kennel. and as many have said. lots of water and multiple cat litter boxes. Never a problem, except the Cats were always Pissed when we came home got on the bed and turned their backs to us. After an hour or so, they came around, and were friendly again. Just remember " Dogs have Masters, Cats have Staff!"

Cheers, Hoss C.

My cats have always been happier in their own home than in a boarding facility or even with a relative. Rip open the side of a cat food bag, make sure the toilet lids are up, clean the litter box and take off.

Our daughter lives just down the road and she stopped by twice a day to let the cat out in the morning And back in at night so that the coyotes didn't get her. We took Charlie the dog with us this time and I think he had a good time. Being around a bunch of kids and another dog kept him busy.

There are many automatic cat feeders.

Some are even programmable.

Some feed as cat eats from bowl.

Bowl stays full.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cat+feeder&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

How come you know so much about cats?

And when are you coming up here for a visit?

We are down to one cat, at one time we had 4; one each for humans in the household.

If we are going to be gone for 10 days or less, leave food and water (have self filling food and water dispensers) and two litter boxes. More than 10 days we will have someone come in and check, clean litter boxes.

I live off the pavement aways and I don't see my cats from March to December. Last year, 9 of 'em showed up out of the woods when it got cold. This year, only 1 so far. I'm kind of a softie and build a small insulated shelter for them several years ago, and put out a heated water dish and store-bought food when they show up. ;)

We had a feral here in the woods for a while. He would never let us touch him; but would sure tell us when he needed feeding. Hubby took a vent out of the shop wall and built a box on the inside. The box was the size of one of those rectangular ceiling tiles. Hubby had one tile that was heated. That was the roof to the box on the inside of the shop. One spring the cat disappeared and never came back. I found out later that he'd moved down the road (looking for females I suppose).

Our Smith & Wesson seem fine for a few days with water, bowls of food & clean litter box. Marlin the rottweiler however, has a 3 times a day visitor to let her out and feed her. Smith & Wesson aren't usually seen by said visitor. Back in the days of Ruger the rottweiler, we would take motorcycle trips for over a week and then we had a sitter move in for all the critters. Mossberg & Winchester ( the cats ) loved her as well as Ruger. It's really hard to find a great sitter however.

Trade pet duty with a neighbor. When their kids were teenagers, it was a good way for them to earn a few bucks.

Two cats in my (thier) house. One would be smart enough to stretch out several days of food. The other is stupid enough to wolf down several days of food before we could get out of the driveway.