SASS Wire Forum

2400 45/70?

Jimmy Reb, SASS #54804

I have some left over 2400 powder and would like to use it up instead of just pouring it out and burning it. I tried looking on the alliant site but did not find any info. If anyone has some usable loads for 405 gr cast bullets or 400 gr jacketed bullets, I would be grateful for a pm with them. I am loading for a Marlin 1895, so they do not have to be super mild. I normally load 3031 in my 45-70's, but I have this powder and I guess I am to cheap to not use it. Thanks in advance. Jimmy Reb

I don't like 2400 in anything. If it were mine I would use it for fertilizer.

Edited by Noz

I have some left over 2400 powder and would like to use it up instead of just pouring it out and burning it.

I don't like 2400 in anything. If it were mine I would use it for fertilizer.

Are you kidding me? Powder that you don't have an immediate use for is just poured out and disposed of??

Coincidentally, I hadn't used 2400 in several years myself, but had two or three pounds on hand. I have an SMLE and an 1891 Argentine and decided to give BAMM a try, and 2400 works great.

If I have powder on hand that I no longer use regularly, I'll make a use for it!

While 2400 is not the best choice, and can only find listings in some of the old Lyman Ideal handbooks, NOT the most recent Lyman manuals, it was listed for use in bullet weights from 300 to 405gr lead alloy bullets. You may be able to google for the older Lyman manuals. Compared with the volume of the case, 2400 loads are quite small volume-wise. My advise would be to tip the muzzle of the rifle up to settle the powder against the primer. A heavy crimp on the bullet by the case mouth would be advisable.

I once read that 2400 wasn't very position sensitive. Some article about the universal load with cast bullets, I think. Anyway, I like the stuff in 3030. But haven't tried it in 4570. This article liked it in 3006 cartridges with cast, if I remember right......

Mustang Dave and Red River Ray like using 2400 and grits in there 45 70. They are getting good results. For me it's a bit snappy, I like 4198

Chicken Scratch

Edited by Chicken Scratch

Are you kidding me? Powder that you don't have an immediate use for is just poured out and disposed of??

Coincidentally, I hadn't used 2400 in several years myself, but had two or three pounds on hand. I have an SMLE and an 1891 Argentine and decided to give BAMM a try, and 2400 works great.

If I have powder on hand that I no longer use regularly, I'll make a use for it!

I'm one of the strange ones. If I don't like a product I dispose of it. My 2400 went the way of my pound of Green Dot. I sold what was left of the only container of 777 I ever owned. I no longer load for 44 mag so I have disposed of all of my 44 mag molds. I have several 32-20 molds that could use a home. I tried that and could not get a 32-20 rifle to shoot well for me. Gone. Life's too short to mess with stuff you don't like.