SASS Wire Forum

Somewhat Nervous

DocWard

So, I stumbled across a job opening for an attorney, working for the State Medical Board. Lower end of the salary scale is about double what I make selling firearms, so, on a lark I applied. I had applied for a similar position with them not long after leaving the Prosecutor's Office, and was one of their final candidates, as in they took the time to call and let me know if the top candidate didn't pass the background check and drug test, they would be in touch.

I can't really mention it at work, until I have an idea what is going on, because I don't want to panic management needlessly. I can't really discuss it at home, because Mrs. Doc has enough going on without me making her crazy. So, I thought I would at least mention things here.

I am just a tad nervous thinking about it. Worried I won't get a call for an interview, and then worried I will... And possibly even get a job offer. Hoping I am up to the task if I do.

At any rate, I felt the need to share a bit. Wish me luck.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

If I am so lucky as to get an interview and an offer, I will have to take it. Financially, I can't not take it. I think I would enjoy the work, just not the commute, but that is only about 15-20 minutes more than I do now, so, not a big deal.

Good luck Doc

Doc Ward,

Here is what I do.

Sit down and make a list of positives and negatives about your options in each regard. Don't do it in one sitting. Revisit the lists over a 2 day or more period. Be honest with yourself in your lists. Once you are done whichever list gives you the most positives and the least negatives is probably the way to go. I say "probably" because there are many unknowns about what life will be like in the new job but I have done this a few times and only once did I make a mistake. Mostly because of the "unknowns" like, finding out my new boss was bipolar. Something you'd never catch at an interview.

When or if you take the new job, because the positives outweighed the negatives, and you start doubting why you took the job go back and look at your lists again just as a reminder of why you are there now. It helps ground you.

Good luck in whatever you decide. It's a tough situation but don't make it tougher with self- doubt and worry about "what ifs".

Good Luck! Don't think you would have applied for the position if it was not what you wanted and had not thought it over.

Good luck Pard. I am in a similar position. I applied for a lower paying job in a small town. Two of my references offered me jobs before I got an offer from the town. I'm staying where I'm at for now but after bonus time I am revisiting one of those offers. I think about it every day. Stressful.

The best time to find a job is while you have one my Pa told me once.

I hope nobody at your shop reads the Wire. ;)

Pretty sure I'm on safe ground there, but thanks for adding to my list of worries! :o

They know I like my job there. I enjoy what I do and the people. I think they would also understand me saying "it pays twice what I make here, when I am constantly juggling funds and barely keeping my debts at bay."

Thanks for the advice and well wishes everyone. I read it and take it to heart. I will probably re-read it a few times at that.

Edited by DocWard

You are in our prayers, Doc. We understand where you are because we are there too...... You are a good man and I'm sure you would do well in the new position or you wouldn't have considered it.

No need to worry. What is best for you and yours will always work out in the end.

Much good advice already given.

I can add nothing, only echo Smoken D's sentiment.

I've all the confidence in the world in you!

Thanks again for the well wishes and prayers. Since posting, I've realized that the hardest part may be waiting for a call to ask if I'm interested in an interview! If I don't hear from them at all I will be disappointed, to say the least.

Two comments stand out;

"So I stumbled across a job opening for an attorney"

It sounds like you are looking for a better paying job and are looking in the field that you have a lot of experience, education and skill in.

"I applied for a similar position not long after leaving the Prosecutor's Office"

Pat Riot has the best suggestion so far. Sit down and ask yourself why you truly left the Prosecutor's Office. Offhand I can think of several reasons that I personally that would cause me not to work in there but your reasons may well be different.

Then ask yourself if this is something you really want to do or is it mainly for the paycheck? As a licensed attorney I can understand why you do not want to leave the field that you have worked so hard in and there are many different types of law.

I don't know if you are religious but if you are seek out guidance from a higher power.

Good luck with your decision.

Two comments stand out;

"So I stumbled across a job opening for an attorney"

It sounds like you are looking for a better paying job and are looking in the field that you have a lot of experience, education and skill in.

"I applied for a similar position not long after leaving the Prosecutor's Office"

Pat Riot has the best suggestion so far. Sit down and ask yourself why you truly left the Prosecutor's Office. Offhand I can think of several reasons that I personally that would cause me not to work in there but your reasons may well be different.

Then ask yourself if this is something you really want to do or is it mainly for the paycheck? As a licensed attorney I can understand why you do not want to leave the field that you have worked so hard in and there are many different types of law.

I don't know if you are religious but if you are seek out guidance from a higher power.

Good luck with your decision.

I spotted the posting as I was looking for continuing education courses. I keep my eye out, but I am not "actively" looking. I have considered being more aggressive in searching for a job I would enjoy that pays better, but as of yet, I have not done so.

I typically don't discuss the reasons I left the prosecutors office, particularly in a public forum, in large part because it is a rather long story that is somewhat involved and personal. I believe a couple of people here know most of the story, but it is something I'm still not comfortable putting out to the "community at large."

Based on my own experiences, I believe I would find the job fulfilling, if it is the same position I interviewed for previously. It is also one in which I believe I can have empathy for those I would work with, again, based on my experiences.

I did not enjoy the majority of my time in private practice. I enjoyed working as a Guardian ad Litem, and still work in that capacity on a limited basis, but that is not something one can build a practice around. I also appreciate the stability of a regular paycheck. Starting out a private practice, our credit took a hit because I was trying to juggle bills, not quite sure when I would receive payment I was owed for work.

As for my faith, I am a Buddhist. So, while I have no "higher power" to look to, I have attempted to contemplate the matter as best I can.

Oh, as an aside, my faith has come up a couple of times the past couple of years (About this time of year, in fact). I mention this so it is clear I am appreciative, even humbled, by those here whom I respect who choose to include me in their prayers, despite our different faiths, as they have in previous posts. And Del Rio Pete, if you see this, I do celebrate Christmas, for reasons I've explained (see that explanation here: http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=244972&page=2&hl=docward#entry3202224 at #44 if interested), so let me take the time to return your greeting!

Quite a post! I need to be going!

Edited by DocWard

Doc,

Thanks for the "Merry Christmas".

Perhaps you are referring to another post where I commented about responding to "Happy Holidays" with "Merry Christmas & God Bless You".

My point was that America was founded on Freedom of Religion and each of us should have the right to worship as we please.

You and I should not be afraid or limited at our place of employment with what is "politically popular".

I would appreciate a friendly warm Happy Holiday or Happy Hanukah or Merry Christmas, etc from anyone.

Because I am just an old sinner who has been forgiven much, I like to share the joy that has been given me from the Christ in Christmas.

So, Merry Christmas Doc Ward, and I wish you much success.

Look forward to hearing about your new job.

Thanks,

May The Lord Bless You and Keep You and Give You Peace.

Happy New Year, too!!!!

Doc,

Thanks for the "Merry Christmas".

Perhaps you are referring to another post where I commented about responding to "Happy Holidays" with "Merry Christmas & God Bless You".

My point was that America was founded on Freedom of Religion and each of us should have the right to worship as we please.

You and I should not be afraid or limited at our place of employment with what is "politically popular".

I would appreciate a friendly warm Happy Holiday or Happy Hanukah or Merry Christmas, etc from anyone.

Because I am just an old sinner who has been forgiven much, I like to share the joy that has been given me from the Christ in Christmas.

So, Merry Christmas Doc Ward, and I wish you much success.

Look forward to hearing about your new job.

Thanks,

May The Lord Bless You and Keep You and Give You Peace.

Happy New Year, too!!!!

I was referring to your first post on the thread. I just wanted to be sure you knew that a wish of "Merry Christmas" is not something to avoid in my case. I agree with you wholeheartedly, and believe that whatever greetings and well-wishing is done, if it comes from the heart, that is all that matters. It didn't occur to acknowledge Bodhi Day here on December 8th, now I wish I had! Maybe next year.

Hi Doc,

I think I've said this to you before; if not, here goes. You are a good person.

Sincerely,

Allie Mo

You have, and I am continually humbled. I thank you.

Edited by DocWard