SASS Wire Forum

CNO Admits He Knows Nothing About Ratings

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/navys-top-officer-admits-he-misjudged-backlash-before-dumping-ratings

"I underestimated how fiercely loyal people were to their rating, I've gotten a fair amount of feedback on that," Richardson said Tuesday during an all-hands call Dec. 6 at Naval Air Station Fallon in Nevada.
"I tell you, in the Navy we are members of many tribes. So first and foremost, we are members of the Navy tribe. that's our principal tribe. But what other tribes are we part of? Rates; warfare specialty; Command. ... So we kind of [underestimated] the loyalty with which people affiliated themselves with that rating tribe. So as we go forward, we'll learn."

"The idea behind canning the ratings system was to comply with Navy Secretary Ray Mabus's order to make ratings "gender neutral" by taking the "man" out of some such as "fire controlman." But the move coincided with a larger strategy to combine groups of ratings with overlapping skills into broader career fields, opening up sailors' career opportunities.

The Navy is still committed to giving sailors broader career options through cross training, he said."

It seems to me this is more about the CNO et al. knowing diddly-squat about ratings and training than about the rating system itself. Maybe the Powers That Be should first educate themselves before overturning Tradition.

"The idea behind canning the ratings system was to comply with Navy Secretary Ray Mabus's order to make ratings "gender neutral" by taking the "man" out of some such as "fire controlman."

Here it comes.

We is all gonna have to become Shmoos...! :huh:

09e976a7682c16f454ac8b4e3e726112.jpg

The CNO and the Navy Secretary are bureaucrat morons and should be taken out of those positions. If Trump needs recommendations on what to do with them I would be happy to oblige.

Note: colorful expletives regarding those two individuals redacted.

For being in the Navy and not knowing how many of the ratings have a lot of pride, shows to me he never learned any thing while serving in his early career.

HM1(FMF)(ret)

Roman T. Range

Officers at his level have been so far removed from the enlisted troops that I doubt he knows a Brown shoe from a Black shoe or a Bubble Head from a Sea Bee.

I do know that the MCPON of the Navy has gotten way more correspondence on the restructuring from retired senior enlisted than he ever thought possible.

I'll stop know before I get banned.

Edited by Sedalia Dave

Running the SASS Vets website over the years has educated this grunt in the mysteries of Navy ratings. While quite confusing to us unwashed snake eaters, I can see the logic behind the system. It doesn't appear to be broke.

That's why the Puzzle Palace is trying to fix it.

In between the Big Wars, the Army also had a rating system. Farrier, bugler, gunner, etc. About 20+ ratings and insignia as I recall. They discontinued it in. The mid twenties. I think the troops were running out of thread.