SASS Wire Forum

Justice...?

There’s a gentleman I’ve known for a number of years through Scouting. A local attorney, he has always been dedicated family man, very active in his church, and with a giving personality.

Sheldon Feigel was a “Scout’s Scouter,” serving in a number of demanding positions, including Scoutmaster, WoodBadge Staffer, and more. He’s also a recipient of his district’s Award of Merit, and the Silver Beaver… and he’s credited with guiding a number of boys to earning their Eagle rank.

At 0630 on January 15, 2014, evidently under the order of the state Attorney General, Kamala Harris, armed DOJ officers entered the home of Sheldon and his wife, Stacey. With guns drawn, they arrested the Feigels. Their children still in bed, and officers entered their bedrooms with guns trained on the kids (ranging in age from younger than 10 to late teens).

Stacey and Sheldon Feigel were accused of being part of a real estate scam in which a California state law was abused to steal homes. The scam was a completely nonviolent crime in which Sheldon Feigel, who is an attorney, and his cohorts allegedly used false documents to get title to abandoned properties and resell or rent them - a totally non-violent crime.

Feigel declared his innocence, and his attorney said he passed a lie detector test.

Stacey was released, and Sheldon was detained.

A hearing was to be held on February 03. As she entered the courthouse to participate in the hearing and support her husband, Stacey had a massive heart attack, and died.

Almost three years later, there is justice – of sorts.

Last Thursday, December 08, 2016, Sheldon received some relief. In an unusual move, a Fresno County Superior Court judge has not only dismissed the charges, but apologized to Sheldon for a nearly three-year legal ordeal during which his wife died and he was disbarred.

Judge W. Kent Hamlin dealt a major blow to the high-profile California Department of Justice investigation. Hamlin granted the prosecution’s motion to dismiss the case against Feigel with prejudice, meaning charges can’t be refiled against him.

“Honestly, as I look at this case, I am puzzled as to how you were ever charged in this case and I’m disturbed by everything I’ve read about this case and how you and your family were treated in this case,” Hamlin told Feigel. “And since you won’t get the apology from the attorney general or the Department of Justice, on their behalf I’ll apologize for them.”

Prayers up for the Feigels, in that they may reassemble their lives.

Justice...?

Oh, Clay... take heart!

The good news is she's out of her AG job. emo31.gif

The bad news is she's now our new senator. emo16.gifemo24.gif35.gif

"Almost three years later, there is justice – of sorts."

I don't know there will ever be justice for what has happened to this family. No apology or monetary award or whatever will bring Stacey back. Sheldon will at least have some peace now.

Prayers up for Sheldon and those who are close to him.

There’s a gentleman I’ve known for a number of years through Scouting. A local attorney, he has always been dedicated family man, very active in his church, and with a giving personality.

Sheldon Feigel was a “Scout’s Scouter,” serving in a number of demanding positions, including Scoutmaster, WoodBadge Staffer, and more. He’s also a recipient of his district’s Award of Merit, and the Silver Beaver… and he’s credited with guiding a number of boys to earning their Eagle rank.

At 0630 on January 15, 2014, evidently under the order of the state Attorney General, Kamala Harris, armed DOJ officers entered the home of Sheldon and his wife, Stacey. With guns drawn, they arrested the Feigels. Their children still in bed, and officers entered their bedrooms with guns trained on the kids (ranging in age from younger than 10 to late teens).

Stacey and Sheldon Feigel were accused of being part of a real estate scam in which a California state law was abused to steal homes. The scam was a completely nonviolent crime in which Sheldon Feigel, who is an attorney, and his cohorts allegedly used false documents to get title to abandoned properties and resell or rent them - a totally non-violent crime.

Feigel declared his innocence, and his attorney said he passed a lie detector test.

Stacey was released, and Sheldon was detained.

A hearing was to be held on February 03. As she entered the courthouse to participate in the hearing and support her husband, Stacey had a massive heart attack, and died.

Almost three years later, there is justice – of sorts.

Last Thursday, December 08, 2016, Sheldon received some relief. In an unusual move, a Fresno County Superior Court judge has not only dismissed the charges, but apologized to Sheldon for a nearly three-year legal ordeal during which his wife died and he was disbarred.

Judge W. Kent Hamlin dealt a major blow to the high-profile California Department of Justice investigation. Hamlin granted the prosecution’s motion to dismiss the case against Feigel with prejudice, meaning charges can’t be refiled against him.

“Honestly, as I look at this case, I am puzzled as to how you were ever charged in this case and I’m disturbed by everything I’ve read about this case and how you and your family were treated in this case,” Hamlin told Feigel. “And since you won’t get the apology from the attorney general or the Department of Justice, on their behalf I’ll apologize for them.”

Prayers up for the Feigels, in that they may reassemble their lives.

Justice...?

HP:

I don't know any of the details here, and it certainly sounds bad.

But the first thing that popped up on a Google search was Feigel's disbarment memorandum, and it looks like he lost his ticket due to fabricating some Court orders related to the sale of a client's horses, and some other related misconduct - not due to the alleged real estate scam.

http://members.calbar.ca.gov/fal/Member/Detail/160455

LL

I'd read that some time ago, Loophole.... all I could think was "Dang. All that, then done in by horse-swapping shenanigans!"

Weird. Especially the last sentence.