SASS Wire Forum

Wisconsin deer-hunting questions

Alpo

How much of a rack does the buck need to have to be legal? Are antlerless deer legal for gun? Often, or just one day a season (we have "doe day" here).

http://conservativetribune.com/hunter-spots-deer-drops-gun/

They're making a point about he "chose not to shoot the deer", and I'm thinking "wouldn't be legal here".

Cute story, though.

Alpo old salt, there are a number of different zones that have different rules. I'm northern Wisconsin, it is bucks only. Anything with antlers. The herd up there is so decimated by the depopulation of wolves that bucks only is the rule. Where I live and Hunt it is the farmland rule. There are so many deer the DNR wants anything brown,down. I could have taken a Buck and two does if I wanted to. This doesn't include bow hunting.There is a holiday hunt between xmas and New year's if I wanted to go out and get another doe. The far southern part of the state I think is still earn a buck. You have to take a doe before you can take a buck. Then there are the sections where it is shotgun only. Mostly in the heavily populated parts of southern Wisconsin. You have to know where you are hunting and what the rules are for that part of the state.

To be legal, a buck must have tines that measure 3"..Otherwise it is considered a doe and must be tagged as a doe. This year I received, at no additional cost, three doe permits along with my buck permit. I live and hunt in an area 30 miles west of Green Bay and there evidently are way too many doe if the know it all DNR is issuing 3 doe permits.

That approach will come back to bite them in the butt. In the late 90's and early 2000's Montana had a brainstorm that there were too many deer in some areas. Anyone including out of state hunters could buy up to 5 doe tags (Whitetail or Muley's). Well, since then with harsh winters, deep snow and blue tongue disease the deer population on both species is not good. But they knew what they were doing...just ask em. When I was still living in Minnesota a legal Buck was about 3 inch antlers. Doe tags were on a drawing basis.

My son hit three doe yesterday on his way to work. He was about 8 miles north of Menomonie WI at 5:00 AM. Yes, there are so many deer its a hazard to drive. We have 7 in our field right now.

Funny story: My father in law has had a place here in Wisconsin since 1961. He always swore by these little whistles you put on your front bumper to ward off deer. He's 98 now, doesn't drive anymore but wouldn't drive a car or truck without them. I know research says they're BS. Anyway an attorney at our work hit a couple in a week and totaled two cars. I was in my local Fleet Farm one day and saw those deer whistles and bought her a set as a joke. I gave them to her and she was very thankful. The next day she came into my office and thank God someone was there with me to verify. She asked me, "Bob, do they go on the front or the back?" I about died. You've got to understand she was a very brilliant well educated attorney, just no "smarts".