SASS Wire Forum

Double Barrel Shot Guns

scottcost

I am interested in joining SASS and I am starting to equip myself but I'm a little confused on the area of shotguns. I understand that automatic ejectors are not allowed. I've seen a number of references to the Stoeger coach gun being used in Cowboy action. I looked at one but it had auto ejectors. Is there something I'm missing here? Are the ejectors in the Stoeger not actual ejectors? Are they allowed? Would they have to be removed? I would appreciate any insight on this topic. Thanks

The Stoeger Coach gun has extractors not ejectors and they are legal ....

But the Very Best thing you can do is come on out to a shoot and try a gun or dozen , bring a box of 12 ga. AA target loads with you and I'm sure you won't have a problem finding guns to shoot them up in ...

Talk to folks ,,,,,,, Listen ,,,,,,,,,,,, Try ,,,,,,,,,,,,, Before you BUY ...

Jabez Cowboy

• Like 2

Both Coach Gun & Uplander models have extractors only, the only difference being barrel length. While many prefer the single trigger models, the double trigger models are simpler; thusly, IMO, less likely to malfunction. I have one of each that I've used since '86 & '88, and while I've added to the arsenal with hammered guns, I still, on occasion, use the Stoegers.

What Jabez said.

The Stoeger Coach gun has extractors not ejectors and they are legal ....

But the Very Best thing you can do is come on out to a shoot and try a gun or dozen , bring a box of 12 ga. AA target loads with you and I'm sure you won't have a problem finding guns to shoot them up in ...

Jabez Cowboy

What he said!!

Best bang for your buck is a Stoeger 20 SXS 12ga.

With very little work it will give you years of use.

Welcome to the dance !

If you have not already heard, you will lose a match on the revolvers and win the match with the shotgun. One of the most heartbreaking sights is a new shooter fighting his equipment, whether it's revolvers, rifle, shotgun, or leather. All of us can sympathize with the effort to save money, but in the long run you will get more enjoyment out of a reliable tuned firearm than an inexpensive brand new one that will probably need additional gunsmithing.

So, if you accept that premise, get acquainted with the other shooters in your area and see what good quality used firearms are going up for sale that have already been tuned for our game. And don't economize on the shotgun. If you decide to leave the sport, you will recover more of your investment with good usable equipment than with the cheaper ones.

J Bar is correct but there is nothing wrong with a Stoeger if that's what you can afford. I have used one for6 or 7 years of matches and still do...the same one. I polished the chambers myself, keep it clean and properly lube it. When / if it ever dies I will get another one.

Also, I shoot Winchester AA shells. They are smooth and you can shuck them easier once fired.

Howdy

Perhaps a definition is in order.

Ejectors do exactly that. They are spring loaded and throw the empty shell clear of the gun.Ejectors are not allowed on Double Shotguns in SASS.

Extractors only pull the empty shell out a little bit by a camming action as you open the shotgun. In truth, an extractor is an ejector without the spring loaded assist. So extractors only pull the shells up a little bit so you can pull them out with your fingers.

Most of us use a technique with our doubles where we jerk it backwards as we open it, to propel the empties out of the gun.

Extra points if you hit the RO with your empties.

You can see the extractors in this photo of an old Stevens Side X Side shotgun. The gun is open all the way and the extractors have moved out about 1/4" or so.

Stevens31116gaugeopen.jpg

• Like 1

Stoegers are a decent shotgun to get started in this sport. They can be easily slicked up and they get looser and looser the more you shoot them until after 7-8 years they just fall apart. Then you go get another one and start over. Good bang for the buck.

• Like 1

Driftwood gives an excellent pair of definitions which match with common usage but beware. I have seen manufacturers exploded diagrams of the Stevens double that he posted with the extractors labeled "ejectors" 😳

YMMV

OK

Here are the extractors on my old Stevens Hammered Double. The extractors are actually one piece that pulls back about 3/8" when the shotgun is broken open. Good luck finding an exploded diagram of that shotgun anywhere.

Hammered%20Double%20Extractor_zpssg4gy2d

Jabez Cowboy

Howdy Scottcost and Welcome. What Jabez said....try before you buy. IMHO the Bakail is much better in that price range. But before you buy anything start going to as many local matches as you can find. Try out the different firearms, you may find a good buy, or may decide to buy one slicked up by one of our fine gunsmiths. Get ahold of the MD, they may be able to have some gear you can try. Don't rush, spend yer money wisely the first time. Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy