SASS Wire Forum

Thanx all

Too Tall Bob

I would like to know what can be added to BP/APP shotgun reloads to create colored smoke. Don't want to use chalk or similar as it gets in folks sinuses and tends to coat everything down wind. Any thoughts?

Edited by Too Tall Bob

No room for any thing in my loads .... Da case is full of Goex 3f.

Jabez Cowboy

Sprinkel the chalk into the shot. You'd be surprised at how much you can get in there.

The effects are much harder to make work when using Black Powder. IF!! you can find colored smoke markers, (like used for marking air drops) you might be able to do some colored smoke. For non pyrotechnic sparkles, use mylar sequins. Glitter is too small and can easily get around eye protections, AND it doesn't show up well. The sequins, cotton balls, feathers, or crepe paper needs to be added in with shot.

For pyrotechnic stuff, you'll need to buy and disassemble fireworks like Roman candles and the like. These can be used with shotgun shells and with pistol/rifle cartridges. Sort out the portion of the assembly that produces the effect and safely discard the powder and other materials and place the effect portion on top of the powder when assembling the ammo round. I'm telling you how it is done.

I do NOT recommend that anyone do this!!! If you decide to do this, you do it at your own risk!!

I have experimented with several approaches. In all cases so far, the effect can only be seen by spectators and not by the shooter.

The best I have ever seen was several years ago when a shooter fired a BP shotgun shot that sounded underloaded. When the smoke cleared a tiny black thong was hanging on a shot gun target.

Querida Kate has ben known to fire paper streamers and/or feathers.

Edited by Noz

The more you fiddle around with trick loads, the more you open yourself up to the possibility of an accident.

Be very very careful.

WHAT BOB SAID. I was using some of the loads Blackwater mentioned and suddenly the range was on fire. We had 5 sources of ignition, lots of fancy, fast stepping dancing. All that to impress a gal. It worked we are still together 6 years later.

KIDS DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME, WE ARE WHAT YOU CALL EXPERTS lol

Imis

Fancy loads are fun and look great, but they are banned at Wartrace now

Something to consider.

Almost all powders are flammable when suspended in air at the right ratio. Grain dust, flour, sugar, and yes even chalk will create a HUGE fireball under the right conditions.

Don't know what colored powder was used but the below link shows what happens when it goes wrong.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/28/asia/taiwan-water-park-explosion/

Please make sure that the wind is blowing down range if you wish to use any of these load.

Chalk and/or powder can trigger a medical reaction in some shooters.

I have used BP for over 70 years. I adamantly recommend never adulterating your black powder.

• Like 1

Unintended consequences happen!

A friend made some hot pink feather loads and gave several of us ladies a box. I didn't like the inconsistency so I didn't use them all. I forgot to return them and took them home. Hubby saw the shell case color and mixed them in with a box of that color, which I took to an annual match. When the pink feathers came out and the wimpy load went poof, I was so mad as I thought someone whose name I used here, who was on my posse then and at the previous match snuck it in.

I still feel bad for getting mad at him. :blush::wub:

Regards,

Allie