SASS Wire Forum

UNOFFICIAL, Official Steampunk Cowboy / Cowgirl Guidelines

Steampunk Cowboy / Cowgirl is NOT a recognized SASS Category, however, some clubs and at least three state championships in 2017 will recognize it.

Here are the dress guidelines that I have been working from when several of us "kicked around" formalization as recorded by Saint Muffy of the Watercress sandwich with the crusts cut off.

Steampunk COWBOY/COWGIRL

“Steampunk” is defined as “Victorian Science Fiction”. The Steampunk genre is influenced by period writers such as Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs, and H.G. Wells, and modern authors such as H.P. Lovecraft. Shooters are encouraged to combine elements of early Steam driven / mechanical / industrial design into their costuming and to their gear. “Westernpunk” extends the metaphor to the old west period as exemplified by literature and media such as “The Wild, Wild West”.

Any Main Match revolver. Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, except Gunfighter.

Must use any SASS–legal main match rifle.

Must use any SASS–legal main match shotgun.

Must use any SASS–legal ammunition.

Steampunk users are encouraged to add Steampunk “flair” to their main match guns as long as the enhancements do not alter function of safety of the firearms. These would include adding gears, Cerakote Firearm coatings (http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com), leather enhancements with fantasy elements such as carving, buckles, gauges, switches. Firearms enhancements do not count as satisfying costuming requirements.

Costuming: Must choose at least five of the requirements listed below. All clothing items must be worn appropriately during all shooting events and awards ceremonies.

• Goggles (welding or aviation) worn as Eye protection or as an accessory.
  • Any Victorian head gear constructed of Felt, Straw, cloth or leather. Including but not limited to: Pith helmets, Military caps, Deer Stalkers, and leather flight helmets.
  • Pocket watch with Chain, Pendant or Pin watches.
  • Gauntlets / Cuffs
  • Backpacks, shoulder pouches, Bandoleers (Shotgun and / or Cartridge)
  • Vest, or waistcoat embellished in steampunk motif.
  • Scarf or tie.
  • Knife or tools (screw knives do NOT qualify), tools would include wrenches, screwdrivers, hammers. Knife or tools all count as one element. As an example, a shooter could not wear gauntlets with 5 screwdrivers and be considered as satisfying the requirements.
  • Spats, gaiters or Botas.
  • Period gas masks or plague doctor masks.

In addition to the above items, ladies may choose from the items listed below in order to compete within this category: Period watch, split riding skirt, bustle, hoops, corset, Victorian style hat (straw allowed), period jewelry, period hair ornaments (e.g., feathers), snood, reticule (period handbag), period lace up shoes, camisole, bloomers, fishnet stockings, feather boa, cape. Men may wear kilts or other period regional garb.

Footwear: Victorian shoes and Boots are required and must be of traditional design. “Engineer Boots” with deep lugs are permitted.

Edited 12/16

• Like 2

I would wonder if some goggles might cut down on peripheral vision and be a safety hazard?

Then I wouldn't recommend wearing those. Put'em up on your hat!

I like the codification if the unofficial category so there are some basic guidelines for those who enjoy this style. It helps reduce the chance of unnecessary disputes. This specific case it isn't really my thing, and who am I to impose guidelines where I am not and active participant. With this in mind, I would respectfully recommend some additional consideration on shooting style / limitations, Cross Draw or not, Gunfighter or not.. I am certain SOMEONE will want to try shooting Gunfighter, and presuming they had a rig that was conducive to that shooting style, what would be the harm? Conversely, if not shooting gunfighter a common limitation is to only allow one loaded revolver in hand at a time. I presume the idea is to have a open class to maximize the participation and enjoyment of the category. For the clothing aspect you have a good start.

Good Luck, Just My $.02

F.S.

What's with the "no Gunfighter" thing? While I personally am not a Steam/CowPunk fan, I am pretty sure the punks would be dual gunnerss! :)

I was going to ask the same thing. What's with this gunfighter bias?

Any Main Match revolver. Revolvers may be shot in any SASS–legal shooting style, except Gunfighter.

I didn't catch that on my first read through but I'd have to agree with the others, why no gunfighter style?

What's with the "no Gunfighter" thing? While I personally am not a Steam/CowPunk fan, I am pretty sure the punks would be dual gunnerss!:)

I was going to ask the same thing. What's with this gunfighter bias?

Me too. I didn't have any plans of shooting steampunk, but my wife would probably like it, and she shoots gunfighter.

I didn't catch that on my first read through but I'd have to agree with the others, why no gunfighter style?

Gunfighter discrimination should not be tolerated! Seriously, being a gunfighter, I'm curious as to why no gun fighter.

My first thought as well!

No dog in this fight, as I am not interested in trying it, but it does sound like fun for those who are interested. But I would like to offer some questions and/or comments.

1. There is nothing to prevent someone who likes the costume aspects of "steampunk" from dressing that way if they want to, unless they were shooting in a different costume category with specific requirements.

2. It could be argued that steampunk could be a part of B Western, especially since Best of the West is mentioned.

3. Since part of the idea of steampunk is to take late 1800's technology to its practical extreme, that is to say pushing the limits of what was possible, or at least theoretically possible, it seems to me that a requirement for a repeating shotgun (97 or 87) would make more sense than allowing any SASS legal shotgun. (Other firearms options would require this to be a sidematch instead of something that can be done as an option at a main match, so I will not voice them)

4. I think this is a great idea for an unofficial category and look forward to seeing it from time to time. :)

5. Why no gunfighter style?

6. There is no idea/question number 6.

7. Would a traditional cowboy hat be considered legitimate for this category? "Any Victorian head gear constructed of Felt, Straw, cloth or leather. Including but not limited to: Pith helmets, Military caps, Deer Stalkers, and leather flight helmets." That would seem to indicate that it is. Key words being "any," and "not limited to," suggests it would. But for some reason I am wondering.

8. I have to admit that I have never seen anyone dressed up steampunk. (Perhaps I am unlucky) How popular is it in "reality?" Is to more of a regional thing?

9. I wonder if there is any way to involve real steam into the category. (Well, not really, but it would be cool to see steam coming out of someone's hat.)

• Like 1

Sorry Kreps ,I will be shooting Gunfighter Steam Punk this winter here in East Tennessee. The guys and gals that shoot cowboy here let a NY Yankee in. So now comes Steam Punk Gunfighter.

New York is NOT a part of New England. There is therefore no such thing as a NY Yankee. (Other than that improperly named baseball team)

Well I never did like the North East because politicians ,winter, anti gunners, winter, winter, did I say winter? Taxes gas heating oil high utilities. Besides any one from north of the Mason Dixon is a Yankee down here.

• Like 3

Here we go again. Couple lustrum ago, some folks started a real fun unofficial side match thing called .... "Wild Bunch." Then someone at SASS decided it would be nice to have "rules." Shortly thereafter, Wild Bunch went directly into the toilette.

So here we have it. Steampunk. Any style "Except" GUNFIGHTER. I ain't saying yer stupid. Just you might be having some trouble with thought. If it's unofficial, intended to be fun (it is), and a free for all, leave it alone. It's not "your" game. It's for anyone who wants to play. Enough with "rules" and "guidelines" already.

Coffinmaker

• Like 1

Here we go again. Couple lustrum ago, some folks started a real fun unofficial side match thing called .... "Wild Bunch." Then someone at SASS decided it would be nice to have "rules." Shortly thereafter, Wild Bunch went directly into the toilette.

So here we have it. Steampunk. Any style "Except" GUNFIGHTER. I ain't saying yer stupid. Just you might be having some trouble with thought. If it's unofficial, intended to be fun (it is), and a free for all, leave it alone. It's not "your" game. It's for anyone who wants to play. Enough with "rules" and "guidelines" already.

Coffinmaker

Amen on Wild Bunch, it was a lot more fun back then.

This is not a debate or "Category creation by committee". It was created by a group of people who were interested in Steampunk, and people who said "I don't like steampunk and wouldn't shoot it", or "I don't think it has anyplace in SASS" were SPECIFICALLY NOT consulted.

No gunfighter? Because I said so.

I firmly believe that gunfighers should only shoot against other gunfighters. That's why they have their own categories.

If you don't agree, start your own unofficial category.

• Like 3

On 12/10/2016 at 3:53 PM, Rolan Kraps, SASS # 24084 Life said:

This is not a debate or "Category creation by committee". It was created by a group of people who were interested in Steampunk, and people who said "I don't like steampunk and wouldn't shoot it", or "I don't think it has anyplace in SASS" were SPECIFICALLY NOT consulted.

I firmly believe that gunfighers should only shoot against other gunfighters. That's why they have their own categories.

And here I was!! Thinkin' of shootin' Outlaw Steampunk Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter!!

SO MUCH FOR THAT!!! <_<<_<<_<:rolleyes:

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

That is reason enough. I did not mean any offense.

You expected not to receive any questions or criticism here on the Wire??

:D

• Haha 2

And here I was!! Thinkin' of shootin' Outlaw Steampunk Frontier Cartridge Gunfighter!!

Good thing ya didn't say "Frontiersman" - Noz woulda been on ya like a hound dog on a soup bone ! :lol:

• Haha 1

That is reason enough. I did not mean any offense.

None taken. My daddy always said "Don't dish it out unless you can take it", and you have to remember the Motto of "The Krappy Gang: "We're not laughing WITH you".

You expected not to receive any questions or criticism here on the Wire??

:D

Yup.

27dd39065116dd636291836c3b557377bd42c8e3

• Like 1

I'm with you here pard, not a steampunk fan but am a fan of participating to the rules.

There are rules made up in every sport and if they're not your cup of tea don't participate, OR conform.

You only have to look at most stages at matches today, they're all pistol, pistol? Gone are the days of any split pistol and more transitional stages, cause the gunfighters moaned and groaned so much. It has seemed to have been forgotten that 'gunfighter' is a shooting STYLE not a shooting category.?

I'm with you here pard, not a steampunk fan but am a fan of participating to the rules.

There are rules made up in every sport and if they're not your cup of tea don't participate, OR conform.

You only have to look at most stages at matches today, they're all pistol, pistol? Gone are the days of any split pistol and more transitional stages, cause the gunfighters moaned and groaned so much. It has seemed to have been forgotten that 'gunfighter' is a shooting STYLE not a shooting category.?

Jackaroo

We actually had a split pistol stage today in the "Grinch" match I wrote. When I read that the shooting order was "Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol", everyone looked at me like I had 3 eyes.

GUNFIGHTERS should be able to adapt to any firearm sequence.

IMO, there is no such thing as a "Gunfighter UNfriendly" stage.

Any GF who would whine when presented with "split pistols" on a stage dishonors the name.

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

GUNFIGHTERS should be able to adapt to any firearm sequence.

IMO, there is no such thing as a "Gunfighter UNfriendly" stage.

Any GF who would whine when presented with "split pistols" on a stage dishonors the name.

Exactly, as long as there is a prop or something to stage the pistols GFs are not really impeded from split pistol stages.

Jackaroo

We actually had a split pistol stage today in the "Grinch" match I wrote. When I read that the shooting order was "Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Pistol", everyone looked at me like I had 3 eyes.

LOL yea they seem to have disappeared of late....

You must have forgotten to read page 14 of the Shooters Handbook.

LOL yea I must throw my version 2 of the SHB away now!

SO MUCH FOT THAT!!! <_<<_<<_<:rolleyes:

I was thinkin' Outlaw Steampunk 'Frontiersman' Gunfighter with a brace of Le Mats actually........but, there goes that.

Edited by Cemetery

You forget B Western can be shot gunfighter, duelist, or two handed.......and they all compete against each other.

Edited by Cemetery
  • Like 1