SASS Wire Forum

Anyone from Scottsdale?

I was there once in the summer 'bout 30 years ago. Hot as HELL! My brother-in-law and his wife live there. It's hot enough for me in West Texas, think I'll pass. 115 is a LITTLE much.

JHC

Scottsdale is one of the many cities attached together to make the Phoenix area. You can pass through about 10 cities and never get out of town. D'backs play in downtown Phoenix, Cardinals and Coyotes in Glendale. 3 SASS clubs in the area: Cowtown, ACSA and Rio Salado, not to mention some other great clubs within driving distance. Over 185 golf courses if you like that as well. Ben Avery Shooting Facility is a huge complex with most types of shooting venues. If it is available in a big city we probably have it....except a winning sports team.... :D

Edited by Diamond S Doug

I was there once in the summer 'bout 30 years ago. Hot as HELL! My brother-in-law and his wife live there. It's hot enough for me in West Texas, think I'll pass. 115 is a LITTLE much.

JHC

West Texas is just flat....Nothing there to see...And everything you can see, you can from the second floor of any house....In any direction...

TL

I'm not that far west. That sound like Lubbock. ;) Many years ago I drove to EoT, second to last year in Norco. I was really wanting to see the mighty Mojave and Death Valley. Crap, most desolate country I saw was out around Pecos Tx. Arizona was a nice place after I got out of WEST Texas!

JHC ;)

My daughter, son-in-law and grown grandsons finally got out of Phoenix & vicinity after 10 years. In actual fact, they seem to like the place! You have to adjust your lifestyle in the hot weather (May to October). Air conditioning is a must in your house and car. Only problem with the latter is that for short trips, by the time the AC kicks in, you are there. If you go to the grocery store and buy ice cream, you better have an ice chest in the car to put it in! I couldn't find the funniest cartoon/T-shirt. The one I like shows a skeleton of a cowboy wearing a sombrero and holding a guitar. He is leaning back against a cactus. On the adjacent cactus is the skeleton of a buzzard perched there, looking at him! :D Caption is the same: "But it's a dry heat!" OTOH, Phoenix has some great restaurants. If you drive through Scottsdale, be sure to have gasoline in your tank. I've only been able to find one gas station. Of course, the next suburb has plenty of them. If, Heaven forbid, you need serious medical treatment, the Mayo Clinic is there, along with their hospital on the north side of town! There are other medical facilities as well.

If you are there during spring training, a lot of the teams play there! :)

If you weren't so busy checking out all the girls there, you would have found plenty of gas stations. :P

......... If you drive through Scottsdale, be sure to have gasoline in your tank. I've only been able to find one gas station.......

Hey Texas Lizzard,

Cut West Texas some slack. Ever been to the Davis Mts, or Big Bend National Park, or traveling on 10 West to El Paso West of Van Horn? Those place are not flat! Cheers,,,Hoss C.

There is quite a bit to do there, possibly too much. I have quite a bit of family there and near there, I find that I go there too often. You will not be bored if that is your worry. There are a lot of SASS members in the area, some are snowbirds in the winter and others are just plain tough for tolerating the summer. Me on the other hand, I am weak, I don't do heat well, that is why I live at 7000 ft, 140 miles north of Phoenix. E mail me directly with questions should you feel like wandering north (dr3498@hotmail.com).....