SASS Wire Forum

Marlin bolt help(pic added)

SHOOTIN FOX

I have what appears to be a crack in a Marlin bolt where the lever fits into the bolt. I triedto post a pic, but no luck.

IF anyone has any ideas, please send me an email and I will send a pic.

Foxavn@bellsouth.net

Edited by SHOOTIN FOX

I see what you may be referring to, slightly to the left of the slot and about 1" long.

Put a single drop of oil on the crack and let it sit for a spell. If it is a legit crack, the oil will seep down inside.

BUT, I must admit that what I think I'm looking at is probably a machine mark.

Wish I could be of more help.

..........Widder

It is 45 the crack is at the six o clock position.it shows a round area and the ramp area. Another bolt shows just a ramp. Widder, Please send me your email and Inwill send more pics. Inam thinking about weld and file as I cant find a new bolt. Thanks

Hey Lumpy.

The area that is damaged is located at the upper end of the slot (looking at the pic above).

The problem area looks like a 'punched hole' right at the edge of the ramp at the slot.

Apparently, its in an area where the edge of the lever makes contact with the slot when the action is closed. Or atleast thats my assessment.

I talked with Shootin Fox and I think he does have an issue that needs to be fixed. Its giving him some problems while working the action.

..........Widder

If you zoom in on the top of the slot, as you look at it, there is an area with crescent shaped waves and a round object. This area is supposed to be part of the ramp where the lever rest on the bolt when the lever is closed. After discussing it withWidder, I believe it must be welded and machined. Otherwise the lever hangs on this spot while opening and closing the bolt.

I can't mark the pic, or I would.

Haven't found a 45 bolt anywhere , yet. I will try Remlin on Monday. Thanks for all the replys.

Fox

Hey Lumpy.

The area that is damaged is located at the upper end of the slot (looking at the pic above).

The problem area looks like a 'punched hole' right at the edge of the ramp at the slot.

Apparently, its in an area where the edge of the lever makes contact with the slot when the action is closed. Or atleast thats my assessment.

I talked with Shootin Fox and I think he does have an issue that needs to be fixed. Its giving him some problems while working the action.

..........Widder

OK-THX. I was looking on the surface of the bolt and not inside the notch.

Never seen this issue before. What's your take on corrective action?

OLG

OK-THX. I was looking on the surface of the bolt and not inside the notch.

Never seen this issue before. What's your take on corrective action?

OLG

Hey Lumpy.

My original comment to Shootin Fox was to contact Remington/Marlin and see if they can put a new bolt in his .45

From my experience, not ALL parts are easily interchangeable and he might be wasting his money just to buy a new bolt that might now work well in his rifle.

Shootin Fox is a very knowledgable Pard on the Marlin rifle, plus if he thinks he can get it welded, he can probably machine it back correctly. That might be his first choice of correcting that issue.

He examined the lever also and it appears to be fine, with no apparent issues that caused that part of his bolt to 'break' (or crack).

Hey Lumpy, you're a good Marlin mechanic also. What do you think would be a good fix?

More good input from knowledgable Wire Pards will certainly be appreciated by Shootin Fox.

And, as Big Iron Patnode suggested, I think its a good idea to contact Boomstick and see if he can help.

Have a great day.

..........Widder (walkin in a WidderWonderLand)

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

Here's another thought:

If the plan to weld and reshape that area doesn't seem to work out well, I think I would take a file into that slot and clean it up by making that area flat. THEN, stick it back in the rifle to see if it works well.

There are issues to be considered in doing this work. If the lever isn't able to push the bolt forward in a timely manner, the bolt locking lug will bump the bottom of the bolt before it can push up into its recess under the bolt.

Its highly possible that Rem/Marlin will replace that bolt free and ensure the new bolt functions well.

Remington is now producing a new 1894 Marlin in .45 Colt and I think the new bolt design might be an improvement over the previous design.

I hope to try one out in the near future.

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

Hey Lumpy, you're a good Marlin mechanic also. What do you think would be a good fix?

Have a great day.

..........Widder (walkin in a WidderWonderLand)

Very kind words from the Master. Thank you :excl:

I would really need to have the bolt and lever in hand to make any 'fix' suggestions. I have never seen this type of damage before.

Is this damage visible from the top of the bolt's slot?

OLG

just thinking , IF you were to clean up the bolt recess , you would have to TIG up the matching face of the lever to bring it back to battery

IF you weld up the slot , it will effect the heat treat , bolt needs to be re heat treated

where as the lever could be cased

Chickasaw

Just got off the phone with Remington. Ship it back and we'll take a look. We did not make that rifle, so there might be a charge for repair. No they will not ship a new boIt is a restricted item.

I'd talk to Boomstick or other gunsmith/machinist before I sent it back to Remington.

Unless you live outside the US why would a bolt be a restricted item?

WARNING-Remmy will sit on it....FOREVER.

OLG

Yeah I agree, regarding NOT sending it to Marlin. They may even lose it in the process of letting it sit around while they ignore it. So, I don't consider sending it to them an option for you, but you'll have to decide that.

I'd listen hard, to Widow and OLG.

If you are not experienced, i do suggest that, if possible, you obtain an undamaged bolt as a model to guide you in machining your weld-repaired bolt back to an acceptable semblance of of its original self.

I can't speak for Remington/Marlin, but I can understand why they have the bolts listed as a restricted item.

When replacing a bolt, you're are also dealing with headspace, appropriate functioning of the lever/bolt movement/safety locking lug, which has its timing function to raise & drop in a timely manner in order for smooth movements of the bolt and help ensure proper headspace.

There's just so much that interconnects inside the 1894. Thats why just a small 'crack' or metal fatigue in one little area is causing problems with the rifle functioning correctly and smoothly.

There's been some real good info in this thread and I've enjoyed reading them as much as anyone. Thanks!

..........Widder

I think from all the reasons that Widder mentioned, you need to just send the complete rifle to Boomstick. That bolt will have to be refitted to the receiver after it's welded and re-machined. Can't do that if the gun isn't in his hands.

RBK