SASS Wire Forum

John Glenn passes away at 95

Widder, SASS #59054

Astronaut and Senator John Glenn has passed away.

He did us proud:

US Marine

WWII Vet

Korean Vet

Astronaut

Senator

RIP Mr. Glenn..... and thank you for your service.

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

Godspeed John Glenn. thank you for your service to our country.

When I was a kid I lived in Central Florida. when NASA had a launch, we would go outside to watch.

One of few that had, "The Right Stuff". R.I.P. Mr. Glenn

The word "Hero" or "Legend" is tossed around way too easily these days.

For Mr. Glenn, it actually applies. RIP John Glenn

Well put Creeker.......

Thank you Mr. Glenn for having the courage to forge the "Final Frontier".

Rest in Peace :FlagAm:

In 1974, when Senator William B. Saxbe (R-OH) resigned from his seat to accept the nomination as U.S. attorney general, Governor Jack Gilligan appointed Metzenbaum to serve the remainder of Saxbe's term. Metzenbaum ran for election to the seat but in a bitter Democratic primary, Metzenbaum lost to Glenn, who subsequently won the general election by a landslide. In the primary, Metzenbaum contrasted his strong business background with Glenn's military and astronaut credentials, saying his opponent had "never worked for a living." Glenn's reply came to be known as the "Gold Star Mothers" speech. He told Metzenbaum to go to a veterans' hospital and "look those men with mangled bodies in the eyes and tell them they didn't hold a job. You go with me to any Gold Star mother and you look her in the eye and tell her that her son did not hold a job". Many felt the "Gold Star Mothers" speech won the primary for Glenn, which he won by 54% to 46%.

For his time as a Marine pilot and one of our country's pioneering astronauts, he had my respect and admiration as he so deserved. I remember gathering around the radio that one of my grade school teachers brought so we could listen to the launch. We all cheered as the world wished him "Godspeed John Glenn". As a politician he was elected Senator from the state of Ohio largely as result of that hero status. As a lifelong voting citizen of that state I had no use for him and little respect for him as that politician. He was an anti gun liberal who voted time and time again to take away our gun rights. He never even once earned my vote.

For his time as a Marine pilot and one of our country's pioneering astronauts, he had my respect and admiration as he so deserved. I remember gathering around the radio that one of my grade school teachers brought so we could listen to the launch. We all cheered as the world wished him "Godspeed John Glenn". As a politician he was elected Senator from the state of Ohio largely as result of that hero status. As a lifelong voting citizen of that state I had no use for him and little respect for him as that politician. He was an anti gun liberal who voted time and time again to take away our gun rights. He never even once earned my vote.

I'm glad you said that Seamus, I once wrote him a letter urging him to vote against the assault weapon ban back sometime in the 90's and he wrote back saying that the recent events in California where the criminals outgunned the police with AUTOMATIC WEAPONS, proved that there's no room for assault rifles on the street!!! He told me he was a second amendment supporter and grew up around guns. Yea, right so he didn't know the difference between a FULL AUTO and a SEMI Auto??? I wrote him back and then never heard from him again. Seamus is right, as a politician he was a useless liberal voting strictly party line. Terrible senator!

I do however, commend his service to our country and may he rest in peace.

I'm glad you said that Seamus, I once wrote him a letter urging him to vote against the assault weapon ban back sometime in the 90's and he wrote back saying that the recent events in California where the criminals outgunned the police with AUTOMATIC WEAPONS, proved that there's no room for assault rifles on the street!!! He told me he was a second amendment supporter and grew up around guns. Yea, right so he didn't know the difference between a FULL AUTO and a SEMI Auto??? I wrote him back and then never heard from him again. Seamus is right, as a politician he was a useless liberal voting strictly party line. Terrible senator!

I do however, commend his service to our country and may he rest in peace.

He served his country well in the military and as an astronaut but there wasn't much he did as a senator that made him a hero to me, in fact there wasn't much he did as a senator to be proud of.

I respect and admire John Glenn's service to our nation as a pilot and pioneering astronaut. I can't even imagine the guts it took to be strapped inside a giant bottle rocket, especially in those early days. Glenn was one of a kind.

However, as a politician, I had no use for him. His choice of party and voting record spoke volumes against American's rights.

As a kid growing up at the time of the Mercury program, John Glenn was Superman and Roy Rogers rolled into one. We were glued to the TV for every launch; our schools allowed us to go to the cafeteria at recess and watch a set that was brought in for just that purpose. He was the closest thing we had to a real-life hero.

I really did not follow his political career; I choose not to be distracted from remembering him as one of the Seven.

LL

You hit the nail on the head Seamus. I couldn't have said it any better.

You hit the nail on the head Seamus. I couldn't have said it any better.

I sent you a pm a few days ago, did you get it??? Check your SASS mailbox.

Regardless is anyone liked him politically (I didn't), the man is still one of a few breed. It takes a WHOLE BUNCH of guts to sit on top of a flying bomb (the Atlas boosters were'nt exactly known for their reliablity) and maintain your focus and professionalism. He did this throughout his military career and his NASA career.

He was a hero when America needed one. Not a made up hero.....a true hero.

I'll not forget his political views but I can never thank him enough for his contributions to the Service and Country.

CS

President ordered flags flown half staff till interment. A great honor for a great man.

I don't see any reason to add that. We all know his history pretty well. I repected him as a brave American fighting man and a pioneer and will lower my flag to half staff in his honor.

:(

I don't see any reason to add that. We all know his history pretty well. I repected him as a brave American fighting man and a pioneer and will lower my flag to half staff in his honor.

:(

I respectfully disagree Bob, I also honor his service to our country but all Seamus and I was pointing out was that as Ohio residents we had to put up with his dismal anti-gun votes. He was a liberal who fought conservatives tooth and nail. It was a real PITA to have him as a senator! I wish his family the best.

RIP Mr. Glenn :FlagAm:

I respectfully disagree Bob, I also honor his service to our country but all Seamus and I was pointing out was that as Ohio residents we had to put up with his dismal anti-gun votes. He was a liberal who fought conservatives tooth and nail. It was a real PITA to have him as a senator! I wish his family the best.

I'm with you Rye!

A real hero was Neil Armstrong, he walked on the moon, served his country then walked away and didn't try to shove his politics on us!

For what John Glenn did for our country in the service and NASA and his bravery I am thankful.

Edited by Thunder Creek Kid
  • Like 1

This is neither the time nor the place in my opinion.

This is neither the time nor the place in my opinion.

I understand that.

Edited by Rye Miles #13621