SASS Wire Forum

Astronaut and Space Pioneer John Glenn Passed Away Today

Cypress Sun

John Glenn, a major pioneer in jet development and the "race for space" died today at age 95. He was the first American to orbit the Earth in 1962.

Thank you for having the courage to be a trail blazer in the Final Frontier.

Rest in Peace Mr. Glenn :FlagAm:

He did us proud:

US Marine

WWII Vet

Korean Vet

Astronaut

Senator

RIP Mr. Glenn..... and thank you for your service.

..........Widder

Edited by Widowmaker Hill SASS #59054

Awards

Distinguished Flying Cross × 6

Air Medal

Presidential Unit Citation

Navy Unit Commendation

American Campaign Medal

Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal

World War II Victory Medal

China Service Medal

Navy Occupation Service Medal

National Defense Service Medal

Korean Service Medal

United Nations Korea Medal

South Korea Presidential Unit Citation

Congressional Gold Medal

Presidential Medal of Freedom

Congressional Space Medal of Honor

Ted Williams said that in Korea, Ted was John Glenn's wingman. I am sure it had something to do with flying, not picking up girls.

Edited by Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984

Fifty-five years ago, in the summer of 1961, a 19-year-old college student (and AFROTC cadet) was working as a summer hire for the Navy, at Cape Canaveral. On the weekends he was allowed to use the pool at the Holiday Inn, which was where the Mercury Astronauts stayed (the Astronaut facility hadn't been built yet). While there, with a 16mm silent movie camera, he was filming six of the seven astronauts (Gordon Cooper was in Australia). When the youngster was observed filming him, as he came up from a run on the beach, Col. Glenn said with a grin, "Here, I'll give you a real closeup!" and stuck his face right in the lens! I still have the film and a DVD made from it (though the DVD needs digital enhancement).

R.I.P., Colonel Glenn, Sir! -_-

|

|:FlagAm:

|

|

By all accounts I've heard, he was a good man, generous with his time, and didn't have the ego that he very well could have had, considering his accomplishments.

Rest in honored peace, Sir.

All that said and I commend him for his service to our country, BUT, he was an anti-gun Ohio senator who consistently voted against our second amendment. He was a terrible senator. I'm a lifelong Ohio voter and have written him letters about the gun issue a few times. He wrote me back and voted FOR the assault weapons ban because he said "criminals should not have AUTOMATIC weapons. This was right after the famous bank robbery in California where the criminals had full autos. Guess he didn't know the difference between FULL and SEMI-AUTO even though he said he was a lifelong gun owner and served in the military. :wacko: