SASS Wire Forum

Poly Coated Boolits with Real Black ?

Cemetery

Quick question for my fellow Darksiders.......anybody have experience using Poly Coated (Hi-Tek) boolits with real black?

Just recently started reading about these, and wondered how they'd work, I'm thinking you'd still be swabbin' the bore after each stage. Maybe the work good with APP....I dunno.

I have seen them successfully used with APP. Nothing there to keep the fouling soft with Holy Black, so not a good idea, IMHO.

CS

I emailed Patrick at BadMan bullets and he stated Poly are a no-go with Real BP without a grease wad. Subs are fine. I have heard mixed stories with the Moly (Bear Creek Bullets) and BP, but I would still want some sort of lube with real BP.

Edited by Totes Magoats

I may be the odd one out here but I had some issues with them shooting 3F Goex.

They worked fine with a lubed wad under the bullet but by the time I spent that extra money and extra time I was better off just getting the big lube bullets.

I didn't have ANY issues with APP but I like real black better. Doesn't seem to leave that "white wall" the subs do.

YMMV

I may be the odd one out here but I had some issues with them shooting 3F Goex.

They worked fine with a lubed wad under the bullet but by the time I spent that extra money and extra time I was better off just getting the big lube bullets.

I didn't have ANY issues with APP but I like real black better. Doesn't seem to leave that "white wall" the subs do.

YMMV

I think you're just saying what others have said in a different way. With the genuine real non- artificial charcoalsulphersaltpeter original BP, best use a lube cookie.

I agree about the cost and fuss - Big Lubes all the way.

CR

Howdy,

I may be doing something wrong, but I powder-coat my own bullets, shoot 2f or 3f, without lube cookies or whatever and have had NO issues.. Now our club usually only shoots up to 5 stages in our monthly shoot.. Toward the end of the 5th stage starting to get pretty gummed up. But, same as with using normal SPG lubed bullets. Now, not encouraging anyone to try this, just stating my own experience with it. Again, this is baked on powder-coat, not moly... Wishbone

The question was about real black and not APP and if it ain't real, well, it ain't real. :) Seriously, I would ask what's the advantage if you have to add lube anyway? Does it do better in a longer bore than say a Big Lube? I've used other lead bullets with great success in my Smoke Wagons, but had to go back to the Big Lubes to keep from leading my 24" rifle barrel.

The question was about real black and not APP and if it ain't real, well, it ain't real. :) Seriously, I would ask what's the advantage if you have to add lube anyway? Does it do better in a longer bore than say a Big Lube? I've used other lead bullets with great success in my Smoke Wagons, but had to go back to the Big Lubes to keep from leading my 24" rifle barrel.

Even with Big Lubes, my 30" bores will suffer in the last 4" on hot, dry days and require a wet patch every couple of stages

CR

I've used them, yes they work, but expect more fouling and loss of accuracy. Lubed is a far better choice. Besides loss of accuracy and more sticky guns, cleaning the rifle bore is more of a chore. The fouling is like cement, not soft or softer like when using lubed.

If you swab the bore's every couple of stages it will help. The only reason I used them is because it's what I had on hand at the time, Now I still have a bunch loaded that I hesitate to use since going to lubed bullets for BP.

All that said I've been able to shoot local 6 stage matches with closer targets clean using poly coated bullets and no lube, but on a hot day with more distant targets.......ouch....I couldn't hit a thing!

Tully

I've used them, yes they work, but expect more fouling and loss of accuracy. Lubed is a far better choice. Besides loss of accuracy and more sticky guns, cleaning the rifle bore is more of a chore. The fouling is like cement, not soft or softer like when using lubed.

If you swab the bore's every couple of stages it will help. The only reason I used them is because it's what I had on hand at the time, Now I still have a bunch loaded that I hesitate to use since going to lubed bullets for BP.

All that said I've been able to shoot local 6 stage matches with closer targets clean using poly coated bullets and no lube, but on a hot day with more distant targets.......ouch....I couldn't hit a thing!

Tully

The purpose of lube on a BP bullet is to keep the fouling soft so the next shot can just push it out of the way and deposit more soft fouling. The poly coating keeps the rifling from leading, and the smokeless powder does not leave a buildup of residue. Can't see how anybody could expect accuracy using real BP (the OP subject) and no lube. Like many, I learned the hard way that the the hotter and drier the day, the sooner you can't hit the side of the berm with your rifle if you don't use a lot of lube and/or swab the bore.

CR

Them coated bullets originated in Aussie and Hi Tek is a great product.

What I found best was I lubed the actual bullet with a muzzleloader lube so it went into the empty lube groove, nothing precision all just coated it with a ice cream stick or something and then loaded it on top of a card wad, or filler if I had to use some.

I then swabbed the rifle bore with a wet one you know those nappy wipes after every stage, and never had a problem, accuracy was maintained and easier to clean at the end of shooting.

Just put the rifle back in the cart and ran the rod and swab up and down twice and that was it.