SASS Wire Forum

Classic Mythbusters OOPS From 2011

Subdeacon Joe

thanks for the info. I have a co-worker that currently is a artillary officer that served in one of the sandboxes. He scoffed when I told about the power and accuracy of a buddy's Civil War 12 pounder. 2# of Black Powder - wow, able to hit a 55 gallon barrel at 500 yards usually on the first shot.

That is freakin' amazing, Joe...!

So what are the projectiles?

Usually they are zinc "bolts" (proper term,for the conical projectiles for rifled guns). Some people turn them on a lathe from bar stock, some will cast their own. The people who win every year usually turn their own on a lathe to get a good fit.

They look something like

parrotwithbrasssabotbolt3inch.jpg

One time when I was in Grafenwoehr, West Germany. I was working in Battalion's S3 in the rear while the batteries were in the firing areas. We heard two very loud BOOMs. "Uh-oh"

Shortly thereafter a convoy leader on the tank trail called Range Control to report two rounds hitting the tank trail. This was followed by a Cease Fire to all Alpha units and then a roll call of all units to confirm that they heard the cease fire. then a roll call to find out what and what azimuth they had been shooting.

It was determined that an 8-inch unit had loaded the wrong charges. Some safety officer had screwed up. OOOOPS.

Some "summer students" at Ft Sill dropped a couple of 105's into the parking lot of a restaurant near Medicine Park several years ago. Fortunately, no one hurt.

Oh, God, I remember the "summer students." Their tents were on the parade field across the street from out barracks. The first night training exercise they had ended at 2am when they returned to the tents. THey made noise until 3. When we fell out at 6 for reveille, WE MADE NOISE.

When I was a MP in the CT National Guard, there was a persistent rumor that my platoon leader, a 2nd LT who was an artillery officer, had fired a live 105 mm round over the main highway on Cape Cod.

Saw this episode of Mythbusters. They quit real quick, made an equally quick response of an opps. But never did hear the rest of the story till today. Thanks Joe==inquiring minds want to know GW

An ARVN unit put half a dozen 105 rounds nearly insuide the berm on our firebase one day. Seems nobody told them we were there. :rolleyes:

Squze Bob. ARVN Unit?? Wanna bet the knew full well you were there?? Wanna Bet??

Coffinmaker

There were actually a "few" firefights between our folks and ARVN units. The outcome for the ARVN usually wasn't real Harmonious.

• Like 1

Squze Bob. ARVN Unit?? Wanna bet the knew full well you were there?? Wanna Bet??

Coffinmaker

There were actually a "few" firefights between our folks and ARVN units. The outcome for the ARVN usually wasn't real Harmonious.

Note the roll eyes emogie I added.

I thought this thread was gonna be about the time Kari's bikini top fell off......or did I just dream that? :blush:

You must have dreamed it because I googled it and found nothing

Sigh....

You must have dreamed it because I googled it and found nothing

Oh I'll bet you found SOMETHING. :D

Being in a paladin battalion for 2 years at carson, this type of thing happens more that you think it would or should. There was a rancher that called the post HQ every time we fired our guns because once, maybe twice we drop a few 155s on his pasture. I mean come on, after the first round none of his horses were anywhere near that pasture.

1861 letter about testing guns and shells.

http://www.nytimes.com/1861/03/30/news/rifled-cannon.html

Handbook for Artillery

http://www.civilwarartillery.com/books/RobertsHandBookofArtillery.htm#P4Ranges

Edited by Subdeacon Joe

I understand that a bikini has some moving parts.

Ok, A bikini story, about moving parts, I know you want to read it.

Once upon a time I invited some guests to see the dolphin show at the Dolphinarium in Odessa, Ukraine. One of the offerings is to swim with the dolphins after the show and I bought tickets for them to swim with the dolphins.

After the show, the ladies got in the pool with the dolphins. they were instructed to hold onto their dolphin's fin. At the signal the dolphins commenced their swim around the pool. Sure enough, at the end of this 15 mph swim the girls' tops were around their waists. They were able to correct the failures before they got out of the water though,