SASS Wire Forum

Poly Coated V.S. Lubed

Lead Ringer

I'd like to hear your opinion (pros and cons) in regards to Polymer Coated (Hi-Tek) Bullets

What are experiences with them. Both Positive or Negative.

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Ringer

Slippery little boogers. I tried some in 38 sp, they work fine, but hard to grab with my big ole fat fingers. I've tried wearing fingertip gloves, can't stand them. Same with any sort of rubber glove.

I like them SPG lubed bullets from Ringers Bullets!

• Like 1

Its a trade off for me and the trade just wasn't worth it. Coated cost more, perhaps a little cleaner but clean isn't an issue with me. My die's do stay cleaner but the lead I shoot by Bumble Bee bullets doesn't shed lube much and I get 5k plus between cleaning my Dillon dies with them. Big sales point they work though a bullet feeder very well which of course lubed do not. I didn't find them any more accurate than lead in fact slightly less but again not really an issue. Smoke, didn't find much difference at least that I could notice. I did get a comment that they really stank and in fact you can smell the poly burning. I probably will not buy more unless I find an attractive deal once what I have on hand are gone.

I go through 500-600 thousand swaged, coated bullets a year. Never go back to to cast bullets with wax or grease again. Machines require 90% less maint. with coated bullets.

As stated they are slippery and harder to get properly oriented.

Around here they cost the same or maybe a dollar or two more per thousand than lubed.

Biggest down side is they are not available in as many weights and profiles as lubed bullets.

They are gaining popularity with IPDA crowd as they are less expensive than jacked bullets.

I much prefer hitek coated. If they stink when shot the coating was not applied/baked correctly.

I have been casting and coating my own with the hitek powder. Easier then lubing. I'm trying so save more money, or at least have more bullets so I can shoot more.

I'd like to hear your opinion (pros and cons) in regards to Polymer Coated (Hi-Tek) Bullets

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Ringer

Besides reducing the amount of lead you get on your fingers whilst reloading, many

indoor ranges that prohibit exposed lead bullets will allow these. Once they review the

Material Safety Data Sheet they seem to get right on board.

I've switched over recently, and while I still have a thousand or so of the old lead types,

I'm using them up pretty quick, and only buying the Hi-Tek coated bullets from

Missouri Bullets.

SC

I've been shooting them for almost 2 years now and I like'em. A single patch down the bore is usually all that's needed. I shoot the ones with no lube or crimp groove so I get the most flexability with OAL and now only buy a sigle bullet for all our cowboy guns.

HEY RINGER,

I understand YOU are now producing some coated bullets. Yes/No?

What are your thoughts and experiences?

In the past few years, ALL my bullet purchases have been from RINGER or Clarks (which is 'Clarks bullets by SCARLETT ).... Scarlett Darlin in S.C.

I am SUPER happy with both bullet makers.

..........Widder

I have been shooting them for about a year and a half.

Pros:Cleaner to handle, no more cleaning wax out of your dies, less smoke, shoot the same as lubed bullets

Cons: More expensive, coating has to be done correctly

Some lead/lube bullets can be really messy, but not the case with yours. The ones I won from you at Byhalia last year were extremely nice bullets. I know you spent a good amount of time making sure they were done right.

The bullets I use are teflon coated not moly coated and the bullets are sized after being coated.

PLUS PLUS...These are the best so far, in my opinion. Precision Bullets out of Kemp, Texas.

These are perfect for polygonal rifled guns(Glock). Coated bullets are much cheaper than jacketed and plated ones. Bore always looks clean after use.

I like your current lube for my cowboy guns because I can use them for blackpowder or smokeless.

Edited by Brimstone Bill Willson

Any comments about condition of the bore compared to lubed?

I've been shooting SNS castings poly coated bullets since they started making them. Not sure how they compare to Hi-Tek. There's been no issues with leading in my bores at all. Everything stays cleaner, dies, hands and guns. They can be a bit slick to pick up, but that's an acceptable issue. And shoot well out of my Glock 34 with polygonal rifling as mentioned above.

My 1911 chamber seems to stay much cleaner with the poly coated bullets as well.

Even tried them with BP in 44-40 and .38's, at local matches with close targets they've work well. Typically I get through a whole match without much fouling. Longer target distances on hot days, that's a different story all together. As expected accuracy diminishes after a few stages rather quickly without lube.

Tully

In regards to barrel condition I might be the exception to the rule, but build up from lead has been extremely minimal from the cowboy loads- and we shoot a lot.

Making the switch to HiTEK coated have been nice though. Not only are they massively easier on die maintenance, but you can do them in colors! :lol:

From what I'm hearing you can use them with real BP without having to use big lube lead anymore? That's gotta be good...

Thanks for your input.

Regards,

Ringer

Biggest pros and a real plus is that the missing lube does not plug up dies. If you wear thin latex or other gloves pick up of bullets is easy. Should be doing it anyway to eliminate lead in your body.

From what I'm hearing you can use them with real BP without having to use big lube lead anymore? That's gotta be good...

First I'm hearing this.....if I have an alternative to big loobs, that would be nice.

I've been powder coating my own bullets. Using powder, tumble in a #5 tub and then 'cook' in a toaster oven. Love them and if they make a mold for the bullet I can PC it.

here is a link over on cast boolits that deals with Hi-Tek as well as PC them. I'm Walter Laich over there:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?184-Coatings-and-Alternatives

cr

I've used probably 10K of the Hi-Tek coated bullets from Cheycast Bullets. The are cleaner in the bore and cylinders, less residue. Much cleaner on the fingers and loading dies. As for accuracy, at our distances not really an issue. Although, I have been successful with long range lever rifle events. Hope this helps.

Assassin

I switched over to coated bullets after I got a bullet feeder for my Dillon 650, they work better. Like others I've found my dies are cleaner and they work well with 777 powder too.

I switched to coated when the indoor range I was using prohibited plain lead bullets. Have never looked back, nor had to clean my seat/crimp dies. Bores stay quite clean--after 1000 rounds, one patch and that's about it. I don't find them especially slippery when handling during loading, and appreciate the reduced exposure to lead. I run Missouri Bullet Co. Hi Tek coated bullets.

HEY RINGER,

I understand YOU are now producing some coated bullets. Yes/No?

What are your thoughts and experiences?

In the past few years, ALL my bullet purchases have been from RINGER or Clarks (which is 'Clarks bullets by SCARLETT ).... Scarlett Darlin in S.C.

I am SUPER happy with both bullet makers.

..........Widder

Yes started coating with HI-TEK polymer. So far all is good. They look and shoot great.

I just wanted to get some opinions about them. I guess it verifies what I was thinking. I can't see any down side.

Regards,

Ringer

Thanks for everyone's input.

I am curious about the couple of Glock comments.

Are you saying they shoot out of a Glock barrel with zero build up??

Yes started coating with HI-TEK polymer. So far all is good. They look and shoot great.

I just wanted to get some opinions about them. I guess it verifies what I was thinking. I can't see any down side.

Regards,

Ringer

When will we see them on your website?

After doing a small batch test to get the powder:Acetone ratio right, myself and a group of fellow shooters got together and cast, coated and sized 7800 125 grain bullets using Hi-Tek.

Using the coating was easier that wax lubing by a LONG shot. we used a star luber with the lube actuator arm disconnected to size the bullets after the coating is done. worked perfectly. I won't be going back to wax lubed bullets any time soon.

So far, gun cleaning has been a snap. zero leading. even in 45-70 with 405 grain bullets.

Although I've shot them trough my Glock with good results, I have not shot enough to comment on build up and long term effects. Really don't shoot the Glock much. My online research prior to shooting them through the Glock was very favorable and mostly from IDPA forms and the likes.

See below link from Eggleston bullets in regards to poly and lead in polygonal rifling. Lead Ringer, sorry for the link to a competitor, but it's good information.

http://www.egglestonmunitions.com/articles/polycoated-bullets-and-polygonal-rifling-will-these-run-in-my-glock

Tully

Edited by Tully Mars

I bought some coated 125gr bullets from cimarron bullets.I did some lead burning when I worked at DuPont and after I started reloading I got to thinking about the amount of lead that I got in contact with.I like the coated bullets very much.They are a little higher but worth the price to me.

I too have never shot more than 125 rounds between cleanings, but the barrel is always very clean.

Just a suggestion, if you make these can you offer a gray color so they look a little more historically correct? I use red for my 40S&w and black for my 9mm, but colorful old west ammo is odd looking :lol: .

Edited by Brimstone Bill Willson