SASS Wire Forum

New Winchester 73 Question

C.S. Brady, SASS #63699

Do the new Winchester 73 rifles use a flat mainspring like an Uberti?

They use a flat mainspring but it is nothing like a Uberti. The Uberti uses a highly arched mainspring with hooks on the end that connect to a stirrup on the hammer. It is like an original Winchester. The new "Winchester" uses a much flatter mainspring that rides on a roller on the bottom of the hammer. It is not like an original Winchester.

Uberti on top, new Winchester below.

PA123691_zpsxpkoxe0t.jpg

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933

Larsen E., is the Winchester spring hour glassed?

Larsen E., is the Winchester spring hour glassed?

No, it is not. But they are very high quality and tune very nicely and that can also be said of the action lifter/lever springs.

Be very cautious in modifying the stock springs. Because they have so little arch it only takes a small of amount of material to be removed to make a BIG difference in how much tension the springs retain. You can go from stock tension to no tension fairly quickly. Replacements are hard to get. On the lifter/lever springs because they are basically straight I just put a shim under them to raise them a little. This effectively lowers the tension.

Be very cautious in modifying the stock springs. Because they have so little arch it only takes a small of amount of material to be removed to make a BIG difference in how much tension the springs retain. You can go from stock tension to no tension fairly quickly. Replacements are hard to get. On the lifter/lever springs because they are basically straight I just put a shim under them to raise them a little. This effectively lowers the tension.

Do you feel like the springs need any adjustment if one isn't looking to be super fast race ready? Basically, can the gun be used stock out of the box without worrying about the tension being too tight and damaging other parts of the gun like has been stated many times about the uberti?

The springs in the Winchester are designed differently than those in the Uberti and put a lot less stress on the parts they bear against. The Winchester is not all that bad out-of-the-box. Winchester carrier/lever spring on top. Uberti on the bottom. Winchester actually uses the same spring for the carrier and lever as the interior parts are designed slightly differently than the originals. The Uberti has a right and left side spring like an original Winchester.

PA123660_zpsqqs0wvrz.jpg

Edited by Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933

Do you feel like the springs need any adjustment if one isn't looking to be super fast race ready? Basically, can the gun be used stock out of the box without worrying about the tension being too tight and damaging other parts of the gun like has been stated many times about the uberti?

My Kaya is flirting with breaking ten shots in 3 seconds with a bone stock Winchester. Run it as is she says.

Hey... Larsen...

Is this one of the modifications due to the higher pressures of today's cartridges... or is this a cost-saving deal?

Thanks in advance for responding.

ts

Don't know. They aren't running any higher pressure cartridges than the Ubertis.

The springs in the Winchester are designed differently than those in the Uberti and put a lot less stress on the parts they bear against. The Winchester is not all that bad out-of-the-box. Winchester carrier/lever spring on top. Uberti on the bottom. Winchester actually uses the same spring for the carrier and lever as the interior parts are designed slightly differently than the originals. The Uberti has a right and left side spring like an original Winchester.

PA123660_zpsqqs0wvrz.jpg

It only has one? Interesting. Is it on the left or right side? Or middle?

My Kaya is flirting with breaking ten shots in 3 seconds with a bone stock Winchester. Run it as is she says.

I plan to for awhile anyway. I just didn't know if there is any stress issues I needed to worry about. Can't wait for the one I ordered from John Barleycorn to get to me. It's a really nice looking rifle for sure. I highly doubt I'll be running 3 second strings like Your Kaya, but I do plan to make a lot of smoke and flames with it.

It only has one? Interesting. Is it on the left or right side? Or middle?

I plan to for awhile anyway. I just didn't know if there is any stress issues I needed to worry about. Can't wait for the one I ordered from John Barleycorn to get to me. It's a really nice looking rifle for sure. I highly doubt I'll be running 3 second strings like Your Kaya, but I do plan to make a lot of smoke and flames with it.

It has two springs, but they are the same and interchangable. The Uberti and original Winchester use two different non-interchangable springs.

The weak point of the Winchester is the firing pin safety. Replace it or weld it up. My stock cracked at the rear screw, the burl wood was weak. Or, I may be too rough when placing the rifle back on the staging table "ever so gently."

It has two springs, but they are the same and interchangable. The Uberti and original Winchester use two different non-interchangable springs.

I understand what you're saying now. Instead of having that tab making them one side only, they're identical. Interesting. I have a slew of uberti and an original 73, but this will be my first new one

They have a tab, but the tab is on the same side on both springs. Uberti on the outside, Winchester on the inside.

PA123662_zpscx0qkznp.jpg

That's very interesting. So does that mean the lever is shaped opposite as well? You don't happen to have a picture of that do you? Silly question since I'm sure you do haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm resurrecting this thread after getting a chance to look at my new Winchester. I still have 10 days until I will be able to fully inspect it, thank you very much California, but at first glance it's easily the best looking 73 I have ever seen. And while my original Winchester has that authentic real west quality about it, this one is my new favorite rifle. I can't wait to get it out to a match and see exactly how it performs. If anyone is wondering, I got it from our very own John Barleycorn. A finer gentleman and patient seller (I can be difficult to work with) you'd be hard pressed to find. On top of that, his prices were also the best so if anyone is thinking about one I would recommend supporting your local gunfighter and order from him.

Just curious, what exactly did you get? Was it the navy arms Winchester?

No it was the short rifle, case color frame, 20" round barrel in 44-40. It's beautiful. I'll post some pics when I get to pick it up in ten days.