SASS Wire Forum

A Day in Infamy

Okiepan

Let us Remember 75 years ago today , when we were attacked at Pearl Harbor , and give a moment of silence and a prayer for ALL that where there

The survivors are so few these days

God Bless America

And thank you ALL that have served

Prayers for our Men and Women who was their.

Prayers for our Country .

Prayers for the brave men and women that lost their lives in that attack, and for their families as well. Along with 9/11 I will never forget the heroes and innocent victims of those sneak attacks.

And I don't give a damn what the WH says, I will NOT ".. get over the bitterness .." of Pearl Harbor. Doesn't mean I have any towards those of Japan today as they were not personally involved in the attack. ( Not sure that makes sense.)

Edited by Clay Mosby
  • Like 1

Prayers for the brave men and women that lost their lives in that attack, and for their families as well. Along with 9/11 I will never forget the heroes and innocent victims of those sneak attacks.

And I don't give a damn what the WH says, I will NOT ".. get over the bitterness .." of Pearl Harbor. Doesn't mean I have any towards those of Japan today as they were not personally involved in the attack. ( Not sure that makes sense.)

Actually, Clay, it makes a lot of sense. Hating civilians who had nothing to do with a military attack is a pointless waste of energy. On the other hand, forgetting what happened invites the repetition of history.

As our next Secretary of Defense has said: ‘Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.’

LL

• Like 1

My mother told me about this day and listening to the news with horror.

My Father was a pre-war, Royal Canadian Air Force Regular, stationed at RCAF Station, Rockcliffe, in Ottawa.

Great Britain, Canada and the rest of what is now the Commonwealth had been at war with Nazi Germany, since September 1939 and the prospect was looking grim.

He and my Mother had only been married for three months and he was expecting his overseas (British Isles) transfer, momentarily, having just finished his embarkation leave.

Monday evening, December 8, he returned from the air base and told her "With the Americans now fully in, we just won the war"

Thank you America for your sacrifices. You helped my Father and most of my uncles to survive.

• Like 1

Hi Loophole LaRue, I apologize for not being better with my words. What I was trying to say was that I wouldn't forgive or forget those that planned and carried out the attack. I have no animosity at all for the Japanese as a people.

Sorry if I made it seem otherwise.

Hi Loophole LaRue, I apologize for not being better with my words. What I was trying to say was that I wouldn't forgive or forget those that planned and carried out the attack. I have no animosity at all for the Japanese as a people.

I just wish they would not be laughing while touring the Arizona Memorial.

Clay:

Your words were just fine. I agree with you completely.

LL

Makes perfect sense to me!!

Clay:

Your words were just fine. I agree with you completely.

LL

I'll agree with both of you!!!

My mother told me about this day and listening to the news with horror.

My Father was a pre-war, Royal Canadian Air Force Regular, stationed at RCAF Station, Rockcliffe, in Ottawa.

Great Britain, Canada and the rest of what is now the Commonwealth had been at war with Nazi Germany, since September 1939 and the prospect was looking grim.

He and my Mother had only been married for three months and he was expecting his overseas (British Isles) transfer, momentarily, having just finished his embarkation leave.

Monday evening, December 8, he returned from the air base and told her "With the Americans now fully in, we just won the war"

Thank you America for your sacrifices. You helped my Father and most of my uncles to survive.

Cold Lake, that was a world war. You were either against us or with us. Thank you to all that stood for freedom, what ever uniform they wore, and the folks that back home supported them to the fullest.

Hitler and Tojo did not have a good plan for those that were conquered.

Mom said when her uncle told them about the attack, no one had any idea where Pearl Harbor was and had to look it up on a map. Mom also said she had a pin pal living there and had sent her a letter on Dec. 6th, but never heard from her again. She also said her pin pal was of Japanese descent. Years ago I tried to locate her friend with no luck.

R.I.P. The Greatest Generation

We should have never dropped two atomic bombs on Japan.

It should have been 200

Nope, two was enough. Unconditional surrender is what followed, not the total destruction of Japan and it's people.

The ranks of WWII vets is getting smaller all of the time. I've had the pleasure of knowing several of them, may they rest in peace now. On this day, 75 years ago, for many the war began......for some, it never ended.

God Bless the Greatest Generation and all of those who preceded and followed. :FlagAm:

Marshal Mo Hare: what you said about "them" (Jap Tourist I think) laughing at the USS AZ memorial strikes a real cord with me. During VN, I flew in and out of Pearl often. Later in 84 I took my Wife there the first time and we went to the Monument. Everything was reverent and fine. However. we returned about 95, and the day we went to see the Arizona I will never forget. Thank the good Lord I did not have an M16 or even a high cap pistol with me, as I would be in prison this day.

There was a small group of 8 or 9 young Japanese tourist there and they were laughing and talking loudly and taking pictures and really getting excited. I was furious and said so to them. They simply scoffed at me. Had I been armed that day, there would have been Blood! You see, I have an Uncle who was stationed 7 Dec 41 on the Arizona; he is still there!

Hoss C.

The war had been going on for several years with the US playing only support roles and pretty much staying out of the hard parts. Then Japan made a fatal error by forcing us into the heart of it and just over three and a half years late we had become the major player worldwide..... and a large part of the world lay in ruins.

I recently found and bought a three disc DVD set of Victory at Sea and America's Wars. After a three night session watching VAS it occurred to me that out country has nor even fought, much less won, a war since 1945.

Korea: a 60+ year "cease fire" that we essentially walked a way from without ending anything.

Cuba: The Bay Of Pigs tells that story.

Vietnam: we pulled out after our cowardly government abandoned our allies to the horrors of a Communist take over.

Grenada: In and out almost overnight without any real solution.

The Middle East: going on for decades without end in sight and with a stronger enemy than when we started.

I also noticed that we helped win that war without consideration for "collateral damage". Maybe we need to return to that mind set.

Forty:

I'm no military historian or social scientist, but to my simple mind, (and acts of terror excepted), WWII was the last time that we were directly threatened, and the last time that the threat was so personal, immediate and overwhelming that we became totally unified. There was simply no doubt that we needed to participate in all out warfare, without reservation, in order to preserve our way of life. Collateral damage was regretted after the war, not a focus during the war.

Most of the "actions" that followed were political creations, designed for "limited warfare" - an impossible concept. You cannot win a war with limited engagement. You cannot expose your people to deadly force, but tie their hands by limiting the scope of action or the quantum of force they can apply.

It's like the bully on the playground - either put him down with your first, full effort punches, or be prepared to receive his response and endure an extended conflict.

Problem is that we cannot seem to agree, as a nation, on whether we have the right to fight another all-out war. This leaves us bickering about how much is enough and how much is too much. When Gen. Schwarzkopf took the coalition up the gut of Iraq, it was the first time in my lifetime that we saw our military fight without limited rules of engagement or artificial restraint (that is, until they got near Baghdad). It was amazing, thrilling and darned effective. Compared with the quagmire of political indecision in Viet Nam, it restored our faith in our ability to operate effectively, given training, leadership and an open field. When Bush One halted the advance, I felt a pang of regret, mixed with the certainty that we would be back there in a few years; it happened sooner than I thought.

Perhaps the concerns over a Secretary of Defense with a military background are overblown. I tend to believe that if war is justified, it should be all-out war, without restraint, without political limitation. There is no politically correct way to kill people. Do it fast, do it thoroughly, and when you are done, there will be plenty of opportunities to try to make friends again.

LL

You hit the bullseye Loop.

Isn't it sad that the US (and other nations) gave so much and lost so much to let it all just slip away, forgotten or ignored, put to the torch of political correctness and leaving us so diminished as to approach the point of becoming irrelevant?

For me, at my age, I don't care a lot, but I greatly regret the increasingly liberal world that we are leaving my grandson and mourn the loss of a better world for him.

We should have done better.