SASS Wire Forum

This is Sparta

Phiren Smoke GUNFIGHTER

The Kaskaskia Cowboys are pleased to announce "The Sparta Summer Shootout". It will be held on Saturday June 10, 2017 at The World Shooting and Recreational Complex in Sparta, Il.

The entry fee for "SSS" is $45 and includes lunch and entry into a practice match, a mini WB match, and a drawing for giveaways, and of course the eight stage main match.

The practice match and mini WB match will be held Friday June 9, 2017.

Entry forms will be available on our website kaskaskiacowboys.com in the coming weeks, and I will post more info as I remember it and as it becomes available.

If you have wanted to shoot at Sparta or have shot here in the past and wanted to return, save the date.

Hope to see you there.

This is Sparta,

Smoke

• Like 2

BTT, because some people might still think we are not having matches. We have been having monthly matches for most of this season. But this will be our first annual since the range was closed.

This is Sparta,

Smoke

• Like 1

Forgot to mention camping will be available, but must be reserved and paid for through the state of Illinois. Campsites are on the grounds, but about a mile away from the cowboy range. If needed we can arrange transportation to and from the campsites.

This is Sparta,

Smoke

LOVE IT!!! I'll try to make this one!! I really enjoy the range and the folks that make this happen are tops!!!!

I will go on record again and say Sparta has the best Cowboy shooting range in the World. Parking,RV Camping spots,steel,shooting berms,thousands of hotel rooms within 30 miles and some of the best darn cowboys and girls you'll ever meet.And to top everything off Walk Mart has AA featherlites, all the time. T Bone

• Like 1

Ive heard alot about some of the past big shoots sparta has had but I have never had the oppertunity to witness one :) Guess ill get to see what all the excitment is over. Count me in!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen and lady! I did not want to respond until I had more info.

Applications are available on our website kaskaskiacowboys.com. Thank you, Miss Weev and Shyanne and Mr. Russ. Click the tab for Sparta Summer Shootout for info and link to app.

Camping can be reserved at reserveamerica.com.

Just got a call with questions about the match. Why do I feel like a snow flake just starting to tumble down a big hill? :lol:

Hope to see you all there.

This is Sparta,

Smoke

• 3 months later...

Got some more info for everyone signed up or considering attending "SSS".

The theme this year will be "The Magnificent Seven, Then and Now".

Most any cowboy is familiar with the 1960 film and I am sure many have seen the recent remake.  So sign up and give us your best Steve McQueen or Denzel Washington impersonation.

We still have openings available.  Information and entry forms are on our website:  Kaskaskiacowboys.com

This is Sparta,

Smoke

On 12/11/2016 at 7:08 PM, T-Bone SASS #36388 said:

I will go on record again and say Sparta has the best Cowboy shooting range in the World. Parking,RV Camping spots,steel,shooting berms,thousands of hotel rooms within 30 miles and some of the best darn cowboys and girls you'll ever meet.And to top everything off Walk Mart has AA featherlites, all the time. T Bone

Any place that has over 1000 full service campsite on the grounds is special.

23 hours ago, Noz said:

Any place that has over 1000 full service campsite on the grounds is special.

You got that right, Noz.  It looks like a city all to itself when it is full.

13 hours ago, Bailey Creek,5759 said:

I would like to come down and  shoot with you fellers . I always enjoyed shooting at Sparta .

I was there at the first State Shoot and the last State Shoot .I personally can't see driving 5 hours for a one day shoot .

Sorry I can't do it .

If it will help tempt you we are having side matches and a WB match on Friday before the main match.  We felt having a one day main match would help minimize the shooter's hotel needs.  But I sure understand not wanting to spend most of the day on the road.

22 minutes ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

If only I lived closer, I'd be there. It is a wonderful place. I had so much fun the time I attended the U.S. Open there!

We sure enjoyed having you.  You are welcome back anytime.

Smoke

• Like 1

I'd love to come shoot with you folks again!  At this point, I'm not sure about my schedule.  Will ya' accept signups the day of the match??

9 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

I'd love to come shoot with you folks again!  At this point, I'm not sure about my schedule.  Will ya' accept signups the day of the match??

Blackwater,

Absolutely, while advance notice helps with awards and meals and so forth. We want to accommodate as many shooters as best we can.

Come on up and shoot with us.

Smoke 

• 1 month later...

If you are thinking about signing up but need a little nudge, your entry gets you a chance for a IAC M97 and a Ruger 10/22.

Boxes of ammo and shot shells and several other items round out the door prizes.

Did I mention every shooter gets a pair of Smith & Wesson shooting glasses by Radians.

The match is just over a month away.  Do not get left out, years from now you can tell friends you attended the first "SSS".

Applications are available on our website kaskaskiacowboys.com

This is Sparta!

Smoke

Edited by Phiren Smoke GUNFIGHTER

Ok everyone we are less than a month away.

I have a round count for the 8 stage main match.  80 pistol, 80 rifle, and 32+ shot gun should get you through the main match.  Plan on 30 pistol, 30 rifle and 12 to 20 shotgun for the three stage warm up match.  I have not seen the stages for the WB side match, but figure on 30 rifle and 18 to 30 shotgun.  If past experience holds true bring bunches of pistol ammo, my guess would be 75 should do, but I am bringing more.

Hope to see you all there.

This is Sparta,

Smoke

• 3 weeks later...

Here is the link to the event:

http://www.kaskaskiacowboys.com/sparta_summer.html

Round count for the Wild Bunch will be 70 Pistol, 40 Rifle and 24 Shotgun as we hope to shoot 4 stages if time allows. Lead goes down range at 1:00 for Friday's Wild Bunch side match and Warm up match. Same day sign ups are welcome, but a call would be appreciated if you are coming. Hope to see you there.

Safecracker,

Thanks for the link and the update.

Mary,

Looking forward to seeing you both there.

Entries are really pouring in now, but we have plenty of space.  Come on out and shoot with us.

This is Sparta,

Smoke

In an earlier post I mentioned feeling like a snowflake tumbling down a hill.  Well, I am loaded up and headed to the range in a few minutes and it feels like I am in an avalanche.

Yee Haw, what a ride.

See you all there.

This is Sparta,

Smoke

Rudy,

Thank you for the kind words.  You and Lady Cheyenne were great additions to a great posse.

Thanks to all the workers and shooters that came together to make this match a success.

Smoke

32 minutes ago, billy broncstomper said:

Any scores posted?

Not yet, probably this afternoon or tomorrow.  Check our website and our facebook page.  one may get posted before the other.

SPOILER ALERT:  Missouri Lefty won first over all.  Okaw was first and I was second in Outlaw.  And that is about all my feeble brain could retain.

Congratulations to all the category winners.

And thanks again to everyone who attended.

Smoke

The SPARTA SUMMER SHOOTOUT was another fabulous event  at Sparta hosted by the Kaskaskia Cowboys, led by Phiren Smoke and Boben Weev.

we had great stages, a nice breeze, and super food (from Mike, The Butcher's Block).

It was a fine day of competition.

• Like 1