SASS Wire Forum

.22 LR division

BrianTheBison

Doesn't anybody else think that there should be a .22 lr division at shoots? I think it would make the game more fun for younger and older shooters, smaller statured shooters and women? Not to mention it would be much less expensive for new members and well practiced shooters alike. Let's face it. This can be a cost prohibitive sport.

Not sure where you buy your .22's and/or how much you pay but I can load .38's for the same cost or slightly less.

There is nothing stopping a local club from offering a sub category like you propose. But in my experience of match directing even the most casual of competitors will not like placing below a adult shooter be it a man or woman who is shooting .22's when they are shooting centerfires.

Aye. My .38s are cheaper. But.... I do love .22s. We do side matches and long range. My daughter started with .22s then tried my Vaquero's and never gave them back.

Even a side match would be great, I wouldn't expect centerfire shooters to rank up to rimfire shooters. I didn't even consider that local clubs can facilitate as they please. I just figured it would be a good idea for a nationally sanctioned class.

Don't forget that our youngest shooters in the Buckaroo category can shoot .22 caliber.

So let's think this through. We create a category that lets adult shooters use .22 caliber, so they go out and buy two rimfire revolvers and a .22 lever action rifle. Later on when they feel comfortable moving up, they buy another pair of centerfire revolvers and another rifle?

A .32 or .38 revolver with light loads has little more recoil than a .22 and they can be fitted with lighter springs so they are easier to cock. A .22 round needs a hard slap for reliable ignition which means a harder cocking effort.

I am all for local clubs doing whatever they want to do for their shooters but I don't see any benefit to the creation of an official rimfire category beyond Buckaroo.

We have one club up here that offers a "double deuce" category. Usually the only one shooting it is the person who started the category. The only plus really, is not having to root for the brass. My opinion is to offer it as an option, but as an un-scored category.

I've thought about offing a "Senior Buckaroo" Category to be shot at a monthly match but scored separately. Haven't done it yet. Don't know how many folks would have 2 single action .22s and a .22 Lever Action.

It certainly has ZERO interest for me, and I seriously doubt that many more folks would be interested in a Long Range 22 RF category.... of course if you can find someone else interested, then the two of you can most likely go out to the range and shoot it out. I do, however see some interest in short range 22 RF shooting gallery type side events, IF DONE PROPERLY. One of our neighboring clubs has a very talented member who has made a motorized arcade for 22 RF. It has the ducks and all sorts of whiz bang targets to shoot. This draws many shooters when ever he sets it up.

Snakebite

Paradise Pass offers a .22 side match prior to the main match. Those who have the gunz flock to it and have their fun, then the SASS match starts. There is quite a bit of work that goes into all aspects of this game, and asking the folks in charge to do more work seems a little forward. If your club is up to it and will let you, make up some rules and get 'er done.

CR

At our monthlies, for those that want to try it out and maybe don't have all the proper gear yet, I offer a .22 category, but it is scored separately. We call it "Sheepherder."

Nope, lots of categories right now.

If ammo cost is holding you back, reload your own cast bullets.

Pards in the old west did not go to gunfights armed with 22s. :lol:

The game is what it is, and probably will stay there for a while.

We would welcome you, and as stated above, local matches will probably carve out a special category to let you shoot as you start up in the game.

Good luck, GJ

22 category ? I think not.

Up here we still haven't recovered from the couple year long rimfire shortage.

Hand loaded ammo is less expensive than many brands of 22 shells.

A full size rimfire revolver costs the same as a center fire revolver.

Never seen a rimfire 66 or 73.

What's the point ?

Even without the high cost of .22's, it seems like a poor idea. There would be limited appeal to my way of thinking. The light .38 loads make recoil a non-issue so that reason does not hold water. I certainly agree that allowing people to shoot .22's should be considered. Maybe that is all they have, or do not reload, or that is what they want to shoot,,,, but they shoot for fun only with the rest of the participants.

I used plink with .22's but it is cheaper to shoot .38's and 9mm nowadays if you reload and cast.

Coffin Filler

There is already a ".22 division" for younger shooters. I haven't seen any older shooters wanting to shoot .22s (I are one) and I'm thinking since I can't run with the big dogs, I might go for more noise and try Black Powder and a larger bore rifle. I'm in this game to relive my childhood fantasies of the Old West (real or not)!

Guest Grass Range #51406

22 category ? I think not.

Up here we still haven't recovered from the couple year long rimfire shortage.

Hand loaded ammo is less expensive than many brands of 22 shells.

A full size rimfire revolver costs the same as a center fire revolver.

Never seen a rimfire 66 or 73.

What's the point ?

Winchester 73s were made in .22 calibre

Überti made both 66's and 73's in 22 rim fire and Winchester made the original 73 in 22 as well. Colt also made SAA's in 22. I woul think that more folks nowadays would opt for a Marlin or Henry in 22 though.

I think the concept of allowing shooters to shoot 22's in local matches is a great idea. I don't think very many would switch to 22's to get a competitive advantage though. (I could switch to full auto and still couldn't bear Deuce!). A thought is to bring a set of loaner 22's to matches to let new shooters experience the flavor of our game.

It's true that this is not a particularly inexpensive pasttie. The starup costs ar not as bad as being in the vintage car community, or IPSC or a lot of other hobbies but we understand it can be substantial. However I think we mus remain true to the original concept of the sport. Competetive shooting with Old West firearms. That's what drew most of us here. It was difficult for me to get geared up years ago. But I was determined. The "new category" suggestion comes up frequently from new shooters. Sometimes they want to use only one pistol, or no shot gun, or double actions or some other method to make it more affordable.

Many clubs offer 22 side matches at their bigger shoots. But to create another catregory besides what we already have would, in my opinion, be impractical for the reasons mentioned by other experienced members.

You wouldn't join a Harley club riding a Moped.

It's true that this is not a particularly inexpensive pasttie. The starup costs ar not as bad as being in the vintage car community, or IPSC or a lot of other hobbies but we understand it can be substantial. However I think we mus remain true to the original concept of the sport. Competetive shooting with Old West firearms. That's what drew most of us here. It was difficult for me to get geared up years ago. But I was determined. The "new category" suggestion comes up frequently from new shooters. Sometimes they want to use only one pistol, or no shot gun, or double actions or some other method to make it more affordable.

Many clubs offer 22 side matches at their bigger shoots. But to create another catregory besides what we already have would, in my opinion, be impractical for the reasons mentioned by other experienced members.

You wouldn't join a Harley club riding a Moped.

Yup shooting 45 ACP in semi auto 1911s and shooting 97s really fit the original concept of the sport.