SASS Wire Forum

Where have they gone

twelve mile REB

I don't post much mostly just read and hang out on the wire but there are a few that I haven't seen in a long time. So I have just wondered what has happened to them.

Manatee always liked to read his posts

Doc Shapiro an interesting fella

Phantom fun to read

Badlands Bud

Bud's Dad

Sixgun Shorty

There are many more like a gunsmith that always gave nice clear concise posts who's alias I can't remember.

Doc S was an author. I believe he did a rewrite of the three SASS handbooks into one handbook that was very good and the Wild Bunch would not even consider it. He left after that, and that may have been the reason. He wrote a great color printed book on getting started in CAS. It may be available digitally now.

• Like 1

I miss them ALL, also.

Sixgun Shorty always had some great input on the topic of Colts. I know very little about Colt brand firearms, but I always found SS post very informative.

Buds dad is Black Jack Traven. Super nice feller (as is Bud) and always made me feel like a good friend when we 'jaw'd on the Wire.

Manatee is in a league of his own. I always felt kinda 'honored' just talking to him in person and shooting on a posse with him at KY State and GOA.

Back in 2009, the great Leviathan bet me a dollar (one dollar) that he would beat me at GOA. Well, he didn't.

I forgot about that $1 bet until shortly thereafter, I received a dollar bill with a note glued to it that read: "Widder Dun Whupped Me Lak A Rinted Mule! Guns of August 2009 ....... Manatee

I still have that dollar bill.

Phantom is a great Pard. I enjoyed talking with him on the Wire and on the phone a couple times.

And if I were to email him today, he would promptly reply with a very cordial greeting.

And Doc Shapiro probably helped more folks with technique info than anyone I'm aware.

These Pards, and others, are often missed and their knowledge, skills, and help are held in high value to a lot of us.

Another great gunsmith not on the Wire much these days is Fireball.

There are others whose names elude me right now, but I hope other Wire Pards will chime in with other names.

..........Widder

West Fargo passed away. He squared away several of my Rugers.

Doc S. has shaky hands these days,and has had for a while,so pretty much got out of shooting, I chat with him on Facebook,he's into mountain bike riding these days, rides a lot,from his fb posts.

he's on facebook under his 'other' name, Joel Shapiro.

Well while we are talking missing ..I haven't seen 'brother King for a while !

And for those in power that are listening 'bring the Phantom back !!

• Thanks 1

Well there's a (you know) Joe that we still don't need to hear from :o:lol: I kinda miss "Reverand Say Yer Prayers" He could hold his own in a good debate.......and pert near argue with a fence post :huh: Heck, he even let the fence post win ever now and then :wacko::lol:

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Edited by Jefro, SASS#69420

I don't post much mostly just read and hang out on the wire but there are a few that I haven't seen in a long time. So I have just wondered what has happened to them.

Manatee always liked to read his posts

Doc Shapiro an interesting fella

Phantom fun to read

Badlands Bud

Bud's Dad

Sixgun Shorty

There are many more like a gunsmith that always gave nice clear concise posts who's alias I can't remember.

Widder provided good information.

• I used to run into Manatee's brother, Hell Raiser, and his son, Clyde, at CA matches. I didn't see them last year. They are relatively young and are probably busy raising children.
  • Like someone said, Doc is into bike riding. We shot with him frequently before the shaking started. I also still converse with him and his wife on FB.
  • This August at the W. Regional, I shot on the same posse with Phantom. It was fun. The last day of the match, he had a shirt on with black cats all over it. :wub: He posts occasionally on FB. I won't address his ban. He seems fully recovered from that terrible accident he had.
  • Bud fell in love and I've only seen him twice since then, at W3G. Last I heard he was working at a gun store in San Diego.
  • Ditto Bud's dad, Black Jack Traven (BJT). He divorced and remarried and I've only seen him once since, also at W3G. His wife has no interest in shooting.
  • Shorty's post says it all. (See the link in post 6.) I hope he is okay. He shot with the Nevada gang mostly as he lives at So. Lake Tahoe. He is a generous man and it breaks my heart that he feels so bad.

I have seen Bud and BJT post here on rare occasion, since I became a Mod.

I wish I knew more.

Regards,

Allie

Allie Mo pointed me to this thread.

I haven't been shooting in quite some time. I developed a palsy in my hands and can't hold a revolver steady any longer. It's apparently genetic. So I've taken to cycling. Mostly Mountain Bike these days.

Hope everyone is well.

• Like 4

Hey DOC.

Its speaks highly of a man when his acquaintances can speak so fond of him even when they haven't seen/heard from him in a few years.

We do miss you.

I hate to hear of your health situation with your hands. I hope proper Dr. care can help get you well.

God Bless.

..........Widder

Hey DOC.

Its speaks highly of a man when his acquaintances can speak so fond of him even when they haven't seen/heard from him in a few years.

We do miss you.

I hate to hear of your health situation with your hands. I hope proper Dr. care can help get you well.

God Bless.

..........Widder

Thanks Widder. Unfortunately, the drugs to stop it have very unpleasant side effects. Gettin' old ain't for wimps!

Doc

Well Widder,

That is because they have all shot in CA. I've even possed with all of the people in the OP. Maybe it's time for you and the Bunkhouse Boss to make the trek to CA! There is so much to see and do.

I highly recommend shooting either, the 2017 CA State match at my home venue, near Sacramento, http://www.californiagunslingers.com/ or the 2017 W. Regional, near Morro Bay http://slosa.clubexpress.com/content.aspx?page_id=22&club_id=976845&module_id=164153&sl=601394297

After all, I do consider you a BFF! You may be my only BFF who I've never met.

:wub:

Allie

Last I knew Phantom was still banned. Don't know if thats the case still.

Maybe a "double secret probation" is in order?....haha

Edited by Lead Ringer
  • Like 2

Another fella that I would print out his every post... Coyote Cap. I have a notebook full of useful information on the '97 from him.

I shot with him on a number of occasions, and a better competitor would be difficult to find.

Allie Mo pointed me to this thread.

I haven't been shooting in quite some time. I developed a palsy in my hands and can't hold a revolver steady any longer. It's apparently genetic. So I've taken to cycling. Mostly Mountain Bike these days.

Hope everyone is well.

I would trust you with my life... the lives of my progeny.... or all of my property. You was always good to me.

Sure hope that yore progeny are fairing well.

ts

• Like 1

Posted · Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 13, 2016 - vendor bashing
Hidden by Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217, December 13, 2016 - vendor bashing

Virgil Ray Hality

Col Nathan Riddles

Mohave Gambler

Howdy Doody

Pigeonroost Slim

Mean Matt McCord

Big Ed - driven off the Wire by Chiz!

Big Ed was driven off the Wire because he kept taking customer's money for new leather and could not deliver for yesrs or ever.

• Like 2

Manatee posts here from time to time, and I still do some business and exchange #@%& you once in a while. Seems irascible as ever and still one of the quick dry wit type you don't forget. IBPG exists largely because of him and CC Top.

CR

Manatee was the 1st JEDI GF of the YEAR due to his efforts in getting BPGF/FCGF category recognized in some bigger SASS matches back when.

I think it was 2009. He's paid his dues, and then some.

..........Widder