SASS Wire Forum

Smooth SG hulls already primed for BP reloading?

Dusty Sometimes

Anybody know a source for smooth, non-ribbed, primed Shotgun hulls for black powder reloading? I know about buying once fired AA or STS hulls and I know I can just buy primers and reload once fired hulls, but I'm looking for a source for smooth bodied hulls already primed. I've checked The Curmudgeon's Ballistic Products.

Thanks

DS

Howdy Dusty, BPI was the only one I could think of. Just curious :huh: ..........why do you not want to do step 1& 2, (deprime-prime) but are gonna have to do steps 3, 4, 5, 6 (powder-wad-shot-crimp). Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

One crazy idea is to just dismantle factory loaded rounds and rebuild with black powder.

That's what I do...by FIRING the factory rounds (or having my co-pilot or someone else do so)

;)

Yep I do, when I need BP shells I'll dismantle a box of AAs, put in BP and reassemble with a card on top. Guess I'll order once fired shells and reload with primers. I was just surprised that there's no primed SG hulls with smooth exteriors for sale, they're all ribbed.

I was just surprised that there's no primed SG hulls with smooth exteriors for sale, they're all ribbed.

Since

* the primer of a shotshell has a major contribution to the pressure in a load (especially with Smokeless loads) (there's much more variation in payload of shotshell primers than in centerfire primers),

* and BP shooters make up a very small fraction of the market,

* and smooth high quality hulls are mostly designed for target shooters (also almost completely smokeless users),

* and folks who have a machine to assemble the powder, shot and wad also have a part of the machine that deprimes and reprimes

* and that primed hulls ship under ORM-D restrictions, while unprimed hulls do not

I am not surprised at all that there is no source for primed target hulls.

You might just be one of a handful of folks in the US who would be a potential customer .

Good luck, GJ

Archived