SASS Wire Forum

Anyone use a full buckhorn sight?

Lone Rider SASS#32091

My eyes are not what they used to be and I'm wondering if a different rear sight would help on my 1866 rifle and my 92 I use as a backup. They both have the semi buckhorn sights now. Is anyone using the full buckhorn and any pros and cons of the sight would be welcome. Thanks.

Many of my rifles wear this rear sight

I'm with Goody -- I use it as a ghost ring

--Dawg

buck.jpg

I have aging eyes and find a full buckhorn very fast and accurate. Find one that is almost completely closed and use a brass bead for the front sight vs. a blade. Still able to take out a grouse in the head sitting up in the top of a tree.

Best to shoot with both eyes open

First thing I changed on all my match rifles was to put a full buckhorn site on it,as the others have said,use it like a ghost ring.

I'm running a full buckhorn on mine. I have great eyesight, I just wanted a better sight. Like the others I use it like a ghost ring. I've noticed that I'm a bit faster on target and more accurate.

I run a full buckhorn on all my rifles. The human eye/brain combo will inherently find the center of the "circle". Flat blade sights drive me crazy with alignment. The buckhorn is very natural.

I use a full buckhorn and don't care to change. I like

However, I believe that the flat blade rear sight with a small notch is "fastest" for many shooters because it allows quicker target acquisition for them. I believe this is because the buckhorn's "wrap-around" style blocks the target array to some extent.

I use a full buckhorn and don't care to change. I like

However, I believe that the flat blade rear sight with a small notch is "fastest" for many shooters because it allows quicker target acquisition for them. I believe this is because the buckhorn's "wrap-around" style blocks the target array to some exten

Not a problem if you keep both eyes open

I love my full buckhorn sight on my rifle. Coupled with a big brass front sight, I have it sighed in so that all I have to do is quickly put the target inside the buckhorn and pull the trigger.

I have them on all of my SASS rifles. I use as a ghost sight, just haoling the front sight. Very fast for me to pick up with my eyes.

+1 .

On every Rifle .

Full Buckhorn on my '66 (Uberti)

My '73 has a semi-buckhorn that I think I'll switch out for a Full.

Fastest sight picture for me hands down! Like others, I use it as a ghost ring with the little notch in the bottom removed (That's the thing with the he white diamond on one side).

I've tried the flat top sight which some say is fastest for them, but find elevation control is much harder. I miss high with flat top sights.

Disclaimer: I can't keep up with Cowboy Junky, but he's not in his 80th year either!

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy

My 1860 Henry has been my Main Match rifle for quite some time now and I have the same sight on it that Prarie Dawg posted. The reason I have this sight on my Henry is because I did not like the stock sight that came on it. I wanted to replace it with a Marbles Semi-Buckhorn sight, but they were too long and I was not going to mount a sight on backwards. So this is the sight I use most of the time. However I hesitate to call it a Full Buckhorn sight.

trackofthewolfrearsight02.jpg

This is a Full Buckhorn sight. You can see by the fact that I have not blacked out the diamond on it that I do not use it in CAS. That and the fact that it is mounted on a Marlin 39a 22 Rimfire rifle. But personally I do not care for a Full Buckhorn sight, it obscures too much of the target area for me.

Full%20Buckhorn%20Marlin_zps4tu0u1q6.jpg

If I'm not shooting the Henry I may bring along one of my old Winchesters. So far, I have not replaced the sights on any of them, I just shoot them with whatever came on them when I bought them. This is the really nice Marbles Semi Buckhorn sight that came on a Winchester Model 1873 made in 1882.

Winchester%201873%2038-40%20Marblers%20F

This Semi Buckhorn sight came on a Winchester Model 1873 from 1887. If you look real close you can see the tiny notch at the bottom of the sight, but I can't even see that when I am shooting.

winchester%201873%2038-40%20rear%20sight

I used this rear sight for my first few years in CAS. It is a folding leaf flat top sight I put on a Winchester Model 1892 that left the factory in 1894.

folding%20sight%20winchester%201892_zpsm

Here is the sight on a Winchester Model 1892 Saddle Ring Carbine that left the factory around 1916 or so.

MarblesSemi-BuckhornonWinchester1892Carb

This is the sight on an old Marlin 1894 from around 1895. This is the first rifle I ever brought to a CAS match. It does not get used much any more.

marlin%201894%20rear%20sight_zpsafns5df8

So in answer to the question, no I do not like a 'real' Full Buckhorn sight very much because it covers too much of the target area.

But that's just me.

P.S. In regard to the statement 'My eyes are not what they used to be' I will bet you a donut my eyes were never as good as yours are now. But the other side of that coin is it doesn't really matter to me how quickly I acquire the sights, so I don't care about the extra speed some seem to get out of the Full Buck Horn sight.

Edited by Driftwood Johnson, SASS #38283

I carefully flattened all of my rifle sights to be like the "big boys". Then I bought a new 73 with the Uberti semi buckhorn they come with. I'll never shoot anything else for cowboy.