SASS Wire Forum

Winter Range Long Range information

Pigpen SASS#1339L

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So Big Question

we do not have a 500yard range here so can we practice and sight our guns in on Monday and Tuesday at the range??

Chicken Scratch

So Big Question

we do not have a 500yard range here so can we practice and sight our guns in on Monday and Tuesday at the range??

Chicken Scratch

Sorry, Because we'll still be setting up so our Range will be closed till Wed. You might consider Cowtown which is about 6 to 8 miles away from Ben Avery or one of the other Phoenix area ranges.

Ben Avery's public rifle range opens Wednesday at 7:00 am, it is closed Monday and Tuesday. https://www.azgfd.com/shooting/basf/. Rio Salado Sportsman's Club in Mesa is open 7:00am to 5:00 pm seven days a week. Their website says they have targets to 300 yds. http://www.rsscaz.com/

Yep you travel 1,760 miles to a range 2,000 ft. lower elevation ,,,,,,,,,,,,, and no where to see what the effect is on sight

settings !!!

Talk about Down Home Advantage,,,,,,, Just plain Stinks !!!

Jabez Cowboy

SASS "Long Range" isn;t! :-) #00 yards is offhand shooting! :-)

OOOOPS! 300 yards! :wub:

Griff, where I shoot long range range finders are welcome to prove we aren't hiding anything from the folks....... a sight in period is for all so the outta towners are on a level playing field. ..........and finally, up to 5 sighters are allowed just before going for record because wind conditions can, and do change. A lot of our long range shooting can go from 500, 700, and even 1000 if in bend Oregon. We've also ran it like silhouette, and allowed range finders plus 7 minutes to shoot unlimited sighters plus 5 record shoots at each target. It's way more fun to keep it fair for all who pay to shoot. I normally shoot, and load tune at 516 yards, because its convenient, and its outta my garage. If I held a shoot at my house, and wouldn't tell the folks how far it was, and allowed no sighters, everyone would be angry, and I wouldn't blame them. Matter of fact, i'd have a huge advantage. Anyway, if you're looking for a good, straight up and fun competition, shoot the main match at WR! I can't say the same for the long range single shot stuff. The last yr I tried it, I hit all 10 for the black powder event, then all 10in the smokeless single shot event, and all 3 Quigley bucket. Anyway, I got a first, a last, and something inbetween for never missing in23 rounds due to it being more of a speed event anyway. I was lucky to hit the first shot. The target was fairly big, and I knew if I hit the first shot, the gun would group tight enough to easily hit the remaining 9 shots. I won't waste my time playing bingo for a shooting competition, but I really enjoy bingo in the main tent with friends!

You pays your money, takes your chances... Would not the same apply should YOU host a shoot?

Every long range side match shoot I've ever attended allowed sighters with assistance from RO or someone else with a scope. With no sighters, it is simple luck to even get close for most except the most experienced shooters.

Wasn't aware there were no sighters. Might just save my ammo......

For the Quigley it still sounds like my 1885 HI Wall in 30-30 is a SASS legal single shoot rifle and can be used in the Quigley Shoot.

Yep you travel 1,760 miles to a range 2,000 ft. lower elevation ,,,,,,,,,,,,, and no where to see what the effect is on sight

settings !!!

Talk about Down Home Advantage,,,,,,, Just plain Stinks !!!

Jabez Cowboy

Hey... J.C.... I agree 'bout the advantage... but not how it "stinks".

Understand yore frustration... but you let me create a shoot... into some dense brush close to where I live... and i will make sure that I got an advantage. Look... let me set some targets in dense brush... less than 50 feet... and invite 100 shooters and show them the scenerio...

You bet... I will... have an advantage.

hehehehe... kinda... one-sided... ain't it?

hehehehe... stop it J.C.... you make me laugh. Not laughin' at you... but hopefully, laughin' with ya. Do respect yore posts... they're all good.

ts

Come on up here and shoot our Longrange side matches and you will find that almost with-out exception you will have the better part of a day to check your rifles sight settings and in at least one shoot 2 + days to practice on the range with targets out to 1,154 yards ... The close targets are 200 yards ...

My Highwall seems to do right well given half a chance ...

Jabez Cowboy

So still can't find a range in AZ with 500 yards, so will Avery be open on Saturday or Sunday for shooting 500 yards??

Chicken Scratch

You pays your money, takes your chances... Would not the same apply should YOU host a shoot?

NO !

The practice range is open the day before from 9am till 5pm ,,, Or your first adult Drink ...

And time permitting I would be pleased to spot for you ...

Jabez Cowboy

There's got to be a hundred ways to fix this. For example, the bay that lends itself to 300 yard shooting, a guy could place 10 evenly spaced 18 inch steel targets for unlimited sighters. Next to each steel target, a paper target the same size for record with shooters name on it. Up to 10 people are banging away at the steel at a time with their spotter of choice. When the shooter says he'll shoot 5, or 10 for record, the spotter steps away, and the shooter fires his record shots. Every half hr call ceasefire, and a couple kids with four wheelers run down and paint steel and swap out paper targets as they are completed. 2 or 3 guys hit all their shots, no problem. Measure the group size to break ties. It's easy, fast, and fair. The 500 meter buffalo. .....several 2×2 foot steel targets the same distance by the buff. Several folks banging sighters. When shooters ready for record, tell the management. If several ready at once, have em line up and take turns for record. Every half hr a couple kids on 4 wheelers zoom down and paint up. A smaller piece of steel at same distance for shootoff. Or one round for center at same distance. Lots of folks could b ran through quickly, and it'd be a level playing field for all. I'd start hauling my guns the 1200 miles again if things were more like that. That's only a couple examples, there's got to be plenty more ideas out there that would work great too.

There's got to be a hundred ways to fix this. For example, the bay that lends itself to 300 yard shooting, a guy could place 10 evenly spaced 18 inch steel targets for unlimited sighters. Next to each steel target, a paper target the same size for record with shooters name on it. Up to 10 people are banging away at the steel at a time with their spotter of choice. When the shooter says he'll shoot 5, or 10 for record, the spotter steps away, and the shooter fires his record shots. Every half hr call ceasefire, and a couple kids with four wheelers run down and paint steel and swap out paper targets as they are completed. 2 or 3 guys hit all their shots, no problem. Measure the group size to break ties. It's easy, fast, and fair. The 500 meter buffalo. .....several 2×2 foot steel targets the same distance by the buff. Several folks banging sighters. When shooters ready for record, tell the management. If several ready at once, have em line up and take turns for record. Every half hr a couple kids on 4 wheelers zoom down and paint up. A smaller piece of steel at same distance for shootoff. Or one round for center at same distance. Lots of folks could b ran through quickly, and it'd be a level playing field for all. I'd start hauling my guns the 1200 miles again if things were more like that. That's only a couple examples, there's got to be plenty more ideas out there that would work great too.

Well said!! Only one trouble with your suggestion, it would'n favor the local shooters.

Just shoot it! I will be out shooting before Winter Range In the temps from 32 to 45. I will shooot any thing they put up.

So still can't find a range in AZ with 500 yards, so will Avery be open on Saturday or Sunday for shooting 500 yards??

Chicken Scratch

Sir;

A Week Before the match and the week of the match The Ranges that Winter Range uses are closed while we set up (for Safety reasons) and during the match. The Rifle Silhouette Range will be open(as Far as I know) till the Monday before the match (Feb. 20th.). this is where we shoot the 500 meter events. You would have to contact Ben Avery to see if it will be available to public use at that time. The Long Range Side Match Events are only open from 0830 to 1530(3:30) on the Wed. 22, Feb. Sadly There aren't any times to practice during the setup or match for Long Range.

Alright Folks just how many sighters do Y'all need and if a 24 x36 inch target was setup at 300yds the day of the event would that suffice? I'm willing to set a 0ne target down range at 300yds and if I have enough volunteers(for Safety) to man it for y'all to have sighters at 300yds, but not on the Event Targets so you would have to move down the firing line to the event spot to shot them. Your opinions and suggestions are welcome but I have to work with what I have and the limited personal available. I'll do my best to do what I can.

V/R

Pigpen

What about chicken scratch, and the guys that want to shoot 500 meters? Can they have sighter targets set up? If so, and the matches will be straight up for all, count me in. I'll give you a couple hrs of my time. Why not have smaller targets for the 300? Like several 18 inch, for the sighters. It'd be way easier to handle, and put up. I don't mind giving you a couple hrs for a match that will be level for everyone, and not a game of chance. If the 500 meter guys get sighter targets to bang away at also, count me in.

Pigpen;

Pard I understand some of the problems with running Long-range at WR,,, the long-range at my first WR (2016) was the biggest disappointment of my 3,600 mile round trip .... All the hype and the Big deal made about WB was a very close second...

I am happy to see you are giving some more thought to improving the long-range at WR, my likely to be once in my lifetime trip has left me a bit soured on WR as it made no sense to me to even take my Highwall out of it's case ....

The only Longrage event I even tried was the "Pistol Caliber Lever action" event where I placed 6th. behind 5 shooters using smokeless powder , I was using a 92 in .45 colt loaded with full case loads of 3f Goex under a 270 gr. bullet ... Yes I hit all 10 , but just a little slower than the top five,,, but I did it faster than the next 8 shooters that also hit 10 targets ....

This past summer I helped run the Long-range Events at two major SASS shoots , "The Mallihat" shoot by Victoria B.C. and the "SASS Canadians" ...

For me long-range doesn't even start till we get pasted the 265 yard mark ( the shortest distance that my sights allow a hold on target) with my Highwall in .40-65 ...

Both shoots I helped with had plenty of time for sighting in your guns .....

Jabez Cowboy

What about chicken scratch, and the guys that want to shoot 500 meters? Can they have sighter targets set up? If so, and the matches will be straight up for all, count me in. I'll give you a couple hrs of my time. Why not have smaller targets for the 300? Like several 18 inch, for the sighters. It'd be way easier to handle, and put up. I don't mind giving you a couple hrs for a match that will be level for everyone, and not a game of chance. If the 500 meter guys get sighter targets to bang away at also, count me in.

On the 500 meter I can't promise any thing but I'll Try to come up at least with a sighter position, maybe an 18 to 20 in. circle out there. :D

Slim sorry no dancing girls or boys for that matter. ;)

Alright pigpen, just got off the phone with dad and i've got one of his side by side 4 wheelers for the week of winter range. I'll be there by Monday before the main match, and I can haul out the sighter steel for the shooters at both ranges, and paint to keep the targets fresh . Also have a swarovski scope to help with spotting if needed. I'll work for you guysfor awhile. I think the shooters will be happy to have sighter targets now. Now they'll be able to do a bunch of shooting, rather than traveling all that way to fire 10 rounds!

Well CS, i'm offering my help, but don't have any confirmation from pig pen if he wants it from me. I'd like to haul sighter targets to both ranges, and spray paint to keep the targets fresh so guys can see exactly where they're hitting. Also have a good spotting scope to help do some spotting if needed. Anyway, if you're reading this pigpen, let me know if you'd like help setting the steel up or painting, ect.....

Lunger;

Thank You for the offer, If your serious you'll have to go to this thread http://www.sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=257800 and tell Bill that you want to be a Wed. Volunteer and be assigned to the Long Range.

Your offer is great, at least I'll have some good target coverage for a couple hours. All the volunteers work hard and make this shoot and I Thank everyone of them.

Pigpen

Oh yeah "Pigpen" is one word :D