SASS Wire Forum

PANTS - LEGAL & ILLEGAL

PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

​ROC RULING

CARPENTER/PAINTER PANTS = ACCEPTABLE

​CARGO PANTS = ​NOT ​!!

History of the basic designs

Carpenter/painter pants are basically overalls without the bib or suspenders which date to the 1700s as working outerwear.

"Cargo pants" are based on 1938 British military design with the leg pockets for carrying battle gear (wound dressings)

CARPENTER%20PANTS-M.jpg

CARGO%20PANTS-M.jpg

TOP = CARPENTER PANTS = LEGAL

BOTTOM = CARGO PANTS = ILLEGAL

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L
  • Like 1

Not being a fashion expert are there any photos demonstrating what you are talking about?

Edited post

Why would anyone actually want to wear "cargo pants?"

Mixing CAS with "tacti-cool"??

:P

I found some carpenter pants that are made of same material as the pants my uncle gave me in RVN only color is 'natural'

Took the belt loops off and wear with suspenders.

Great in Texas heat and humidity

cr

without the hammer loop, pants seem to be just rust colored jeans ?

Pretty much...that's one of the reasons why they are OK.

The cargo/BDUs are NOT.

Camo. kR

That is covered in the RO3 manual.

...also in the SHB p.3

Edited by PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L

I was recently informed that Tex prefers removal of the "hammer loop".

But that has NOT been verified.

Both Tex and Cat told me that if had a loop on the leg it was illegal. This was at a dinner at a State shoot.

I did not press the discussion as to why.

Edited by Ace_of_Hearts

Both Tex and Cat told me that if had a loop on the leg it was illegal. This was at a dinner at a State shoot.

That is an opinion that has not been confirmed.

Since this most recent ROC clarification states that Carpenter pants and overalls are LEGAL (without any modifications) there is no requirement to remove the "tomahawk" loop.

The carpenter pants with the "folding ruler" pocket on the right leg-rear is perfect to put your loading strip! Remove hammer loop and belt loops. Add suspender buttons.......Good to go and looking sharp!

I just bought a few pair at WalMart for $18 a pair....Heavy canvas in Light Brown, Dark Brown and Tan..........

Are bib overalls period correct? I've been wanting to get a pair, but thought they were more modern.

REF: post #1 re: "History..."

Are bib overalls period correct? I've been wanting to get a pair, but thought they were more modern.

I've worn them before, I figured it was my best chance to be the overall champion :D

Randy

• Like 2

Well if the dude is carrying a Tomahawk in that loop.... Tex can tell him its Illegal, Cuz I sure Aint :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was under the assumption that pants were supposed to have a button fly, but after examining these have found that they have zipper fly. What would I do, remove the zipper and shoot with a gap, or bring back the safety pin. Should we consider opening a new class for zipper fly shooters?

Where in the rules does it state pants need to have button flies? What book, what page? We don't need another category to accomodate a phantom rule.

• Like 1

Where in the rules does it state pants need to have button flies? What book, what page? We don't need another category to accomodate a phantom rule.

To be Period Correct. All the True West seem to have button fly. Why does Levi have 501?

Edited by Fargo Bill, SASS #4942

I can see it now!

Visualize the MD asking for fly inspection volunteers to go into the crowd and check everyone's crotch. :blink:

• Like 2

I can see it now!

Visualize the MD asking for fly inspection volunteers to go into the crowd and check everyone's crotch. :blink:

That could be added to SPOTTER'S responsibilities. Shouldn't slow the Shoot down as this could also be done at the loading table, much like looking at guns to make sure they are properly loaded. Just a quick glance would suffice.