SASS Wire Forum

OT: Opinions on a Colt Signature Series 1861 Special Model

John Henry Quick

I have found an opportunity to buy a subject three-banded model model that's unfired for $975. I've found listings for originals, but not for Signature Series repros. I do intend to shoot it on occasion, but it would mostly be a safe queen - this one is beautiful, but it won't be unfired once I get my grubbies on it. Any opinions?

Personally, I wouldn't buy a "special issue" or "commemorative" gun for any shooting in Cowboy action, where I had to pay a premium over the standard model. Once you shoot them, especially with BP, values tumble. "Signature series" types are built for folks who want a nice wall trophy.

But then, the "bling" factor of the first few times out might just be worth it to you. Only your and your wallet know for sure.

Good luck, GJ

Personally, I wouldn't buy a "special issue" or "commemorative" gun for any shooting in Cowboy action, where I had to pay a premium over the standard model. Once you shoot them, especially with BP, values tumble. "Signature series" types are built for folks who want a nice wall trophy.

But then, the "bling" factor of the first few times out might just be worth it to you. Only your and your wallet know for sure.

Good luck, GJ

In this case, it's not a "special issue" or "commemorative" gun - there actually was a "Special Model" of the 1861 that this is a repro of. It is, however, a "Signature Series" repro and I think I get what you're saying, but since Colt's Signature Series guns are Italian repros that were merely assembled by Colt, are they really just meant to be collectibles?

EDIT: Since this is about $300 less than a new Pedersoli, I have decided to buy it - you're right about my wallet. :) Just trying to understand why ANY repro would be considered collectible and ruined it fired...

Edited by JohnHenryQuick

In this case, it's not a "special issue" or "commemorative" gun - there actually was a "Special Model" of the 1861 that this is a repro of. It is, however, a "Signature Series" repro and I think I get what you're saying, but since Colt's Signature Series guns are Italian repros that were merely assembled by Colt, are they really just meant to be collectibles?

May be why the whole Signature concept, of an Italian parts gun put together here and priced at three times what a "shooting" C&B revolver was, never took off. Priced like collector's gun, but mostly the quality of a shooter. As I said, would not be my cup of tea. I'd have it going to a smith right out of the shipping box to tune for competition if I had one. And there would go the specialness of it.

GJ

Whoah there folks. Hold on. Wait just a minute. 3 Band. Or Three Band. We are not talking about a Colt Signature Series 1861 percussion Hand Gun are we. We be talking about a 58 caliber MUSKET ..... yes??? If that be the case, all bets are off. I have absolutely no freeking clue what reproduction smooth bore reproduction Muskets are worth. Were we discussing an 1861 Percussion hand gun, I could be real opinionated. Musket?? Meh.

Coffinmaker

Whoah there folks. Hold on. Wait just a minute. 3 Band. Or Three Band. We are not talking about a Colt Signature Series 1861 percussion Hand Gun are we. We be talking about a 58 caliber MUSKET ..... yes??? If that be the case, all bets are off. I have absolutely no freeking clue what reproduction smooth bore reproduction Muskets are worth. Were we discussing an 1861 Percussion hand gun, I could be real opinionated. Musket?? Meh.

Coffinmaker

The Colt Signature Series 1861 musket is rifled. But it isn't any better than any of the other Italian muskets, it just has the Colt name on it.

Just to correct a misconception... the Colt Signature Series were Colt clones of their percussion revolvers... they were of the same Italian (Uberti), parts as the Colt 2nd series, but... unlike the 2nd series, were not assembled, nor finished by Colt, those two processes were done by Iver Johnson of NY under license from Colt.

• Like 1

Oops, yeah, the OP is talking a rifle, isn't he?

Well, details of the guns are totally different (really?), but my conclusion still stands - I wouldn't be shooting (BP or smokeless) something I paid a premium for because of a "Colt signature finishing step"

If it completes a collection, go for it. If you are going to be shooting it, then asking here is a reasonable thing to do, but not a place where you will convince many pards that shooting a BP rifle won't drop any "special" value off of it real quick.

Good luck, GJ

• 2 weeks later...

I shot my Colt Signature Series 1860 revolver in CAS a long time ago, couldn't resist it. Mistake. The metal is softer than other Ubertis. The wedge deformed first and then I could feel the rest of the gun getting just a wee bit loose. Not much, but it's more worn after 2 seasons than my other Uberti 1860s after 15 seasons. So now it's the safe queen it should have been in the first place.

The original post is talking about the Colt Signature series repop of this musket:

http://nramuseum.com/guns/the-galleries/a-nation-asunder-1861-to-1865/case-15-union-muskets-and-rifles/colt-special-model-1861-contract-rifle-musket.aspx

Which was Colt's kinda/sorta copy of the three-band Enfield musket and was made throughout the Civil War. It was rifled. I agree with those above who say the Colt Signature Series is overpriced.

• 2 years later...
On 12/3/2016 at 12:27 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

May be why the whole Signature concept, of an Italian parts gun put together here and priced at three times what a "shooting" C&B revolver was, never took off. Priced like collector's gun, but mostly the quality of a shooter. As I said, would not be my cup of tea. I'd have it going to a smith right out of the shipping box to tune for competition if I had one. And there would go the specialness of it.

GJ

You know it’s like art, it is only valued at what other people will pay for it and since there are a lot of people who value Colt Signature guns more than Uberti of the same model pistol or in this case rifle, they kind of are entitled to their opinion. I got you, you don’t value it hirer but don’t criticize the ones whe enjoy collecting 2nd & 3rd generation Colt pistols. I started with the 3rd gen Signature models assembled by the father of the man running Henry rifles and they were beautiful and well put together!! I sold those to afford the 2nd gen ones and then bought the cases and accessories( some Signature kits) to go with the 2nd gen pistols and other than the “signature” on the bullet mold or nipple wrench you can’t tell the difference!  So I appreciate your opinion on there not being any difference between Ubertis and the “Colts” but if others disagree and do value them more, respect their opinion as well. I would love to get a Colt 1861 musket for my collection and to represent my great, great grandfather’s service in the 1st Ohio volunteer infantry, even though they supposedly used 1842 muskets. 

I am happy with the 2nd gen pistols I have and do value them more. They will be a legacy to my son and his heirs to follow