SASS Wire Forum

Western 3 Gun is Not Dead!

Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217

As Chance mentioned we had the T&R Ranch they did the W3G matches also WVC the Orlando Club did them for a while, unfortunately folks thought like Blackey Cole mentioned they were afraid to try it because you could move and shoot and figured it would mess them up for SASS matches but it's totally different than SASS,W3G you cannot see all targets unless you move in SASS targets are in front , It was fun and nothing to be worried about

AO

It may not Be Dead ,,,, but a call out to the EMS might be in order ...

Not shot around here ...

And of the 10 Larger multi day matches, including WR I attended this year WB was only offered at 3 of them and less than 10 % of the Cowboys shot WB on the average ....

Jabez Cowboy

Hello Folks,

Doc Shapiro and BJT tried to get W3G going near Sacramento. I went every month. The problem was that we did not have the same type of targets and stationary wood barricade-like props that they have at Piru. It became time-extensive to set up cardboard targets and barricades. Also, most CAS shooters prefer bang and clang, like they have in Piru. My W3G club required taping the cardboard between shooters. At Piru they paint. It is wonderful to never have any question over misses. We know there is a wide range in the quality of different venues. Those that share the venue and have to set up and take down at every match tend to not be as nice as those with a dedicated range. This is one area where the Piru venue excels, as they have a dedicated three-gun range.

I love W3G and do not like to see it disparaged by someone based on opinion without ever shooting it.

I also enjoy WBAS, despite the fact I'm usually last. I just like variety and shooting different guns as offered by WBAS.

There is repeatedly conversation about how to get new or youth shooters interested in what we do. W3G and WBAS may be the way to introduce more people with varied interests to our vision for a family-friendly shooting sport..

I do not like to see any shooting sports maligned, especially those sports that have so many similarities to CAS. I believe we should embrace them all, even NCOWS.

Regards,

Allie

• Thanks 1

W3G is not the run and gun that some people are making it out to be. Yes, you can move and shoot. Most shoot a few target's from one spot then move to the next position and shoot a couple more till finished. Occasionally there is a large target that can be shot on the move while advancing. As Allie pointed out, having the steel target's with the bonus knockouts and overlays and repainting between shooters separates it from SASS. Shooting a match using cardboard target's to score bonuses isn't nearly as fun. They have a great setup in Piru. Smokin Gator

We tried giving WTG a go in Southern AZ but just couldn't get enough folks involved. I LOVE WTG! It's so much fun. Some folks felt that because you can move while shooting in WTG it would "mess with their game" when it came time to shoot CAS matches because they'd forget to stop and then shoot in CAS. I'm here to tell ya that I had no problem separating the 2 disciplines and I'm in full blown menapause...and if ANYthing can mess with your head, that will! LOL!!

Foilks if you have a chance to try it, investigate it and get someone to give you the lowdown and then get some shooters together and give it a shot! Then you'll know. Be an educated consumer.

Thanks, Allie Mo, for spreading the word!

Wish there was some W3G around here. I've shot alot of unaffiliated FUN matches in TX/NM - one/two pistol, reloads on anything/everything, cover, moving, flyers, long range bonus, etc etc...10/10/4 is getting old - kinda like bowling, or bingo.

LQ

Edited by LQ Jones

If you live in socal you have to try it at Piru aka deadwood boys. You move downrange to engage various targets, 180 rule always. You can load the shotgun with 4 and place it on a table if not in hand muzzle down range. Of course my goto 97 does not feed from the tube so I use the red army reproduction.

There was an article in the Garand Collectors Association magazine 2 issues ago about someone who shoots 3 gun with an M-1 instead of an M-16 derivative. Got a few odd looks, but everyone thought it was super cool. I even wrote in to the magazine and suggested paring the M1 with a 1911 instead of a Wonder9 and using a M97 Winchester instead of a modern shotgun with an extended magazine to complete the "theme." They printed my response, along with a few other along the same lines.

Now, I know of no W3G clubs here in New England. But if there was one, I would like to try it.

But you know, nothing in the "regular" 3-gun rules would prevent me from showing up with my S&W New Model 3, Uberti made 66 and my 97 and going to town. Sure, I'd have to reload a lot, but I betcha everyone would think it was awesome....

There was an article in the Garand Collectors Association magazine 2 issues ago about someone who shoots 3 gun with an M-1 instead of an M-16 derivative. Got a few odd looks, but everyone thought it was super cool. I even wrote in to the magazine and suggested paring the M1 with a 1911 instead of a Wonder9 and using a M97 Winchester instead of a modern shotgun with an extended magazine to complete the "theme." They printed my response, along with a few other along the same lines.

Now, I know of no W3G clubs here in New England. But if there was one, I would like to try it.

But you know, nothing in the "regular" 3-gun rules would prevent me from showing up with my S&W New Model 3, Uberti made 66 and my 97 and going to town. Sure, I'd have to reload a lot, but I betcha everyone would think it was awesome....

And that is exactly whatb I have done. Also did WW2 once with 1911, Thompson sub, 97 shotgun.

One of my fellow 3-gunners ran a Garand for one match. Since he was in the Heavy Metal division, he was required to use a single-stack 1911 and a pump shotgun. I believe he had an Ithaca for the pump gun.

As for the cowboy guns in 3-gun, you'd need speed loaders for the S&W and the 66, since most stages have a hard stop at 90 seconds.

Allie Moe, WTG looks to me to be lots of fun. I'm not aware of it being shot in north Texas area but if ever happens around here I would sign up for it. I do shoot a fair amount of combat style matches featuring a lot of movement around here and just to keep it interesting I use a Suomi 9mm carbine or a 27 Thompson carbine . pistols are hi powers or 1911's. At the carbine matches I've ran my m1 carbines against the black guns........Of course we still shoot a lot of wild bunch and are having a large time with it also. As far as worry about changing rules for different types of matches I don't think that's really an issue unless it's how you earn your moneyI mean we are all doing this for fun and entertainment aren't we? Dusty Boddams

• Like 1

Allie Moe, WTG looks to me to be lots of fun. I'm not aware of it being shot in north Texas area but if ever happens around here I would sign up for it. I do shoot a fair amount of combat style matches featuring a lot of movement around here and just to keep it interesting I use a Suomi 9mm carbine or a 27 Thompson carbine . pistols are hi powers or 1911's. At the carbine matches I've ran my m1 carbines against the black guns........Of course we still shoot a lot of wild bunch and are having a large time with it also. As far as worry about changing rules for different types of matches I don't think that's really an issue unless it's how you earn your moneyI mean we are all doing this for fun and entertainment aren't we? Dusty Boddams

Hi Dusty,

If you know Phantom, you might talk to him about W3G (BTW, W3G is the way the club writes it) IIRC, he wanted to get it started in Texas. I'm not sure what happened with that. I think I heard that before his accident.

Regards,

Allie

• 2 years later...

I've never seen, shot, or even heard of a W3G match anywhere around here. Depends on where you live, I guess. Population density. Some of you live in municipalities with populations larger than my entire state - we finally topped a million in 2012 and currently only one million, fifty thousand.

3 hours ago, Allie Mo, SASS No. 25217 said:

Interesting! This just popped up in my recent posts.

Any news on W3G? I heard that the Piru range was purchased and they had to quit shooting there. Then, I heard they were back at Piru.

Do you have anyway to contact Lefty Longridge?

OLG