SASS Wire Forum

Plastic Bullets (38 cal) - Good Idea?

Father Kit Cool Gun Garth

Roy B. had a Topic on the WIRE recently, and in it he mentioned:

" I then bought Wax Bullets and cases and set up a range in the garage for her to live fire the revolvers."

I am very interested in having an alternate method of practice with my New Model Ruger Vaqueros in 38/357 other than going to the range which I have not yet done.

I have already purchased Snap Caps for my Rugers and they make for good gun safety practice as Roy B. alluded to in his Topic.

Please let me know what your experience has been with Plastic Bullets, and whether they are a good idea for at home practice. Are Wax Bullets a better option?

What are the consequences, if any, to the cylinder and barrel after firing multiple rounds through the guns?

Would also like to know where the best place online is to purchase the necessary bullets, cases and primers.

Lastly, I would be interested in knowing how loud the noise is from a Ruger Vaquero using these Plastic Bullets as I do not want to bother the neighbors.

Your opinions will be gladly welcome.

In my opinion, wax or plastic bullets are a waste of good primers. They really won't give you any better practice than dry fire and you have nothing but spent primers.....

I agree, just use the time to dry fire practice. The plastic/wax bullets may help with pocket pistol, or derringer practice.

Don't know about "Plastic" bullets. I use to practice out in my garage with rubber bullets. Primer flash holes had to be drilled out (instructions with the little package) to prevent primer back out. I made "catch boxes" out of some large cardboard boxes as the little rubber baby buggy bumpers went everywhere. I finally gave up trying to find enough of them to reload. There loud. You need ear plugs or muffs. You'll annoy the neighbors. You'll ruin about 50 cases. You'll get real sick of trying to find the little buggers.

Coffinmaker

In my opinion, wax or plastic bullets are a waste of good primers. They really won't give you any better practice than dry fire and you have nothing but spent primers.....

Boggus: Unfortunately, dry fire won't tell you if you hit your target.

Mr. Cody:

Went to the topic above; however, the website for the laser insert doesn't appear to exist anymore. I know the post was back in 2014, which could be the issue.

Do you have a suggested website to purchase the required equipment and software to practice laser shooting? This does sound like the more reasonable option to practice.

I actually had a box of those plastic 38 cases and bullets years ago. After using them a few times , I came away with the impression that it was one of those ideas that look and sound good in theory , but not so great in application. Had a lot of misfires , plus the chambers got really dirty from the primers. I don't even remember now what I did with them , maybe gave them away or sold at a gun show. Mind you , this was crowding 20 years ago. There might be a better type made now days.

Rex :D

Mr. Cody:

Went to the topic above; however, the website for the laser insert doesn't appear to exist anymore. I know the post was back in 2014, which could be the issue.

Do you have a suggested website to purchase the required equipment and software to practice laser shooting? This does sound like the more reasonable option to practice.

Mr? LOL.

You should be able to get everything here:

http://lasrapp.com/competition/info

Not sure if they still have in bore lasers, but I'll look around later.

Garth

If you are interested in a complete laser system give me a call I have a used one for sale.

716 693-3237

Terry

Mr. Cody:

Last time I spoke with aimtech they had been bought out and were no longer supporting users like us. The laser app program is seperate and I just got a email letting me a new version was out. There web site is www.lasrapp.com but you still need a quality laser and a web camera to use it.

I have some 44 cal. rubber bullets, accurate but shoot very low due to no recoil. Kind of noisy and smoke quite a bit. I was practicing shooting gun fighter it was useful but my right thumb ruined my chances of shooting gun fighter. Don't really know if it was worth the effort....but better than hours of dry firing.

Boggus: Unfortunately, dry fire won't tell you if you hit your target.

That's not the point. Dry firing is more for practicing your transitions, which is where you will gain the most speed. As mentioned above, any kind of fake ammo is wildly inaccurate so you are wasting time if you are trying to hit targets. If you are working on your aim the only way to do that is with real ammo.

I tried the wax bullet/ sg primer route, like what is used in cowboy fastdraw. The primers backed out under multiple recoils in handguns, they were very loud and they had enough power, just from a shotgun primer, to shoot completely through 4 layers of cardboard then the dent the aluminim garage door. Mrs was not amused. I gave them to a fellow who wanted to try CFD.

Imis my$.02

And .45 colt brass with sg primer pockets are very expensive

Boggus Deal and Casey Green are correct you will not improve you accuracy with wax or plastic that takes real ammo and time at the range. The transition of your guns and how smooth you handle them is a large part of cowboy action shooting and that can be practiced in dry fire. Bullett 19707

A good purpose for the rubber, plastic,, wax bullets and special cartridges is practicing your double action trigger pull on your target revolver; like a Smith & Wesson. You shouldn't dry fire them, or at least the older models anyway.

Well, OK,.......I'll play the contrarian. I rather disagree with a lot of what's said above. I've been using wax (not plastic) bullets for practice, now for well over a year. I find them, actually, to be quite accurate at the distances we shoot our revolvers in this sport. I don't use them in the rifle as I've found that they tend to jam.

I have no shooting range available to me that is within a reasonable distance for frequent usage. But, I do have a large back yard, surrounded by woods. So, I've set up a "mini-range" with 3 target stands and I use "Shoot 'N See" long range rifle targets (about 16" square) and shoot from a distance of 5 to 7 yards. I can consistently hit the 3" (approx) bull's eye, if I take the time to aim. Actually, the bullets are fairly accurate up to a distance of 25 to 30 feet. It is indeed true that they will penetrate 3 or 4 thicknesses of standard corrugated cardboard, so I wouldn't consider them to be terribly suitable for shooting in a garage. I use suitably sized cardboard boxes with a couple of extra layers of cardboard attached, as my target backstops.

I use a commercially made .45 caliber shell casing in which the primer pocket has been enlarged to accept a No. 209 shot shell primer. On the issue of primers backing out of the casing, I've found that scraping a little wax from one of the bullets into the primer pocket and then seating the primer will completely solve the backing out problem. In nearly 1000 rounds, I believe I've had 2 "back-outs." I have not found that the shell casings are substantially more dirty after firing wax bullets than they are after firing live ammunition. The wax bullets do leave some residue in the gun barrel that can be a bit difficult to remove. But I can also vouch that one live round through the barrel will absolutely remove any remaining residue! And, the cylinders are a bit sooty, but not much more than after live fire. I would say that the primers are only moderately loud. Certainly not nearly as loud as a live round. I have neighbors within 250' of me and have never had a complaint yet.

Here is a link to Spitfire Wax Bullets, the supplier I use for shell casings and bullets. Your investment in casings is a one-time-only expense. They will last you a lifetime. https://www.waxbullet.com/ .

All in all, I've found that practicing with wax bullets has improved my accuracy (though I'm sure a few of my shootin' pards would disagree!) and also, I think, my technique. Besides, it's a hell of a lot more fun than dry firing. You ought to give it a try, and good luck! :) :)

What TS Bailey posted makes sense. Think about it. You get to practice your draw, aim and fire and you get some feedback for your efforts. If you don't have the ability to go to a range and practice you have a fairly quiet, somewhat safer way to practice.

Thanks for the link TS :-)

I will check that out.

Best regards,

Pat Riot

Neither will plastic or wax bullets. They won't shoot to point of aim. They're highly inaccurate. And dry fire will help you learn to call your shots.

Boggus:

Point well taken.

I watched a video yesterday online where a gentleman was demonstrating firing plastic bullets and he specifically put a blue piece of tape where he indicated he was going to be aiming, and none of his shots hit anywhere near to the tape. (Actually, all of the shots, although in a close grouping, were about 6" lower than the tape).

What are your thoughts on the laser issue?

On a side note: I fully intend on making myself a full stage set of targets out of pvc pipe and going to the range on the weekend to practice as that is ULTIMATELY the best practice you will get. Just looking for an alternative to use on those days when going to the range is not feasible.

Trying to be sensible at the same time regarding how much Gold Dust I'll have to hand over. (My staked claim isn't producing at the rate it used to.)

Howdy Pat,

Thanks for the nice words. Just a word of explanation: I did indeed post the wax bullet information under the alias of "tsbailey." Between then and now, Allie Mo, at my request, updated my SASS membership information and alias. I now go by Okoboji Kid.

Sorry, Father Kit--not trying, in any way , to hijack your thread. :)

Regards,

O.K.

O.K.: Not a problem. I was questioning the change myself as the response had the familiar avatar (photo) but I couldn't find the "tsbailey" name. Sometimes it's best to change your name to protect past misdeeds, heh! LOL

Yep, and if used in a garage without something like a whole house attic fan the poisonus fumes will have you blowin out big goobs of black stuff. Don't ask me how I know :wacko:

Lastly, I would be interested in knowing how loud the noise is from a Ruger Vaquero using these Plastic Bullets as I do not want to bother the neighbors.

Your opinions will be gladly welcome.

If you live in a subdivison or have a close neighbor the noise is loud enough to be very annoying. Don't ask me how I know this :o:(

Trying to be sensible at the same time regarding how much Gold Dust I'll have to hand over. (My staked claim isn't producing at the rate it used to.)

Howdy Kit, IMHO dry fire parctice is some of the best practice you can do. If you don't already have one get a timer so you can do different drills..par times...etc. Spend your money on a shooting school like Evil Roy, T-Bone...etc...etc. If you can't make it to a school get the Evil Roy CDs, he covers all the firearms top drills and transistions and helps make sure your practice is good practice. Some of the best ways to improve you times are with the shotgun and transistions, both can be practiced over and over again with dry fire and a timer.

I don't remember who said it but it went sumpin' like this "you can't win with the pistols, but you can lose with the shotgun" ;) . Good Luck :)

Jefro :ph34r: Relax-Enjoy

Boggus:

Point well taken.

I watched a video yesterday online where a gentleman was demonstrating firing plastic bullets and he specifically put a blue piece of tape where he indicated he was going to be aiming, and none of his shots hit anywhere near to the tape. (Actually, all of the shots, although in a close grouping, were about 6" lower than the tape).

What are your thoughts on the laser issue?

On a side note: I fully intend on making myself a full stage set of targets out of pvc pipe and going to the range on the weekend to practice as that is ULTIMATELY the best practice you will get. Just looking for an alternative to use on those days when going to the range is not feasible.

I have a target taped on my wall that has 10 two inch circles on it. I can make up an order to shoot them in and practice dry firing and calling each shot. If I get a bad trigger break, I'll start over. The only laser system I have used was at SHOT show a couple of years ago and I could outrun it . There maybe others that are better. I do not know.

Archived