SASS Wire Forum

How do you handle food at monthly matches?

Duncan Disorderly

First I wipe my hands on a clean gun rag then carefully eat my sandwich (I bring my own). Unless I'm at Tusco. At Tusco I pig out at "Pam's Chuckwagon." Biscuits-n-Gravy dontchaknow!!

1) Lunch order forms filled out at registration for deli sammiches or burgers with chips, drink, & cookie. $6.50. Runner takes orders & $$ to store nearby. Food delivered by the end of 5-stage monthly. Lunch, visiting, & club meeting while scores are computed.

Awards & prizes afterwards.

Steel is put away by everyone able to help as the stages are completed.

Others have a post-match potluck or club-provided meal served after the steel is put up.

FWIW, my breakfasts, outside of championships, were pastries, juice and coffee. As an elderly Idahoan, coffee is de rigeur! Lunch was , variously, turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, potatoes, vegetable, salad and desert roast beff or pork or ham with potatoes, vegetable, salad and desert. Sometimes, in the summer, we'd have cold cuts potato salad and/or coleslaw and desert. When I knew the numbers would be low, I made chili and rice or a chicken casserole. We always had Dutch oven biscuits with butter, honey,and preserves.

Suggested donation was $5.00 but I never cared nor did I ever check. The cost was no big deal and, for me, used to quantity cooking and Dutch oven contests, the preparation was easy.

However, time, unfortunately, marches on! :(

Free pastries, juice and coffee is still featured at Border Marauders SASS and CFDA matches but I suggest lunch at a local cafe.

FWIW, my breakfasts, outside of championships, were pastries, juice and coffee. As an elderly Idahoan, coffee is de rigeur! Lunch was , variously, turkey, stuffing, gravy, cranberry sauce, potatoes, vegetable, salad and desert roast beff or pork or ham with potatoes, vegetable, salad and desert. Sometimes, in the summer, we'd have cold cuts potato salad and/or coleslaw and desert. When I knew the numbers would be low, I made chili and rice or a chicken casserole. We always had Dutch oven biscuits with butter, honey,and preserves.

Suggested donation was $5.00 but I never cared nor did I ever check. The cost was no big deal and, for me, used to quantity cooking and Dutch oven contests, the preparation was easy.

However, time, unfortunately, marches on! :(

Free pastries, juice and coffee is still featured at Border Marauders SASS and CFDA matches but I suggest lunch at a local cafe.

:wub:

You never cease to amaze me!

Corn Nuts, beef jerky and Diet Coke. Fits nicely in the gun cart. Coated bullets minimizes the lead flavoring on my fingers. I hope.

Edited by Lead Friend, SASS #53635

The Weewahootee Vigilance Committee here in Orlando has FREE hotdogs and sometimes Brats cooked by volunteers on a donated by gas grill. You have to bring your own beverage though, adult or otherwise. Adult beverages (That's beer to you Waimea) only after guns are put away and away from the firing line per club rules.

The funds for the food and gas for the grill comes out of match fees at a rate of about a buck per shooter.

We shoot, then we eat. Used to have meals available during the monthlys and we would stop to eat. Now we head out to BellBuckle Cafe, or on down the road.

When my belly gets full I want a nap not more stages.

My$.02

Imis

At the State Match every year we have a chuck wagon, time set aside for lunch and lots of socializing time

I'll add one other bit of info as to why a lunch break is pretty much universal here in New England, even if it's it BYOB. Going to a local eatery after the shoot would be, at least in Massachusetts, against the law. Leaving your guns unattended in even a locked vehicle is forbidden.

The other states may vary in that regard, especially NH, VT and possibly Maine, but CT and RI are, I believe similar.

One of the clubs we used to shoot at in PA, SLCFSA, we always went out after the shoot to the same restaurant and ate lunch. At the Atlanta Cattle Company there was usually some type of food made by one of the members that you could get for a donation. At Paradise Pass they have a BBQ shack that is run my Holy Smokes BBQ that is open for operation after the match.

In Texas at the Bar 3 range we handle lunch just like buffet in Las Vegas. Its FREE to start with. More goodies that you can shake a stick at. Great food brought by all the shooters. If there is not enough meat of sort We will fire up the grill and cook out on the spot. Come over next weekend and I'll show ya. Its Italian cuisine then white elephant Christmas.

In Texas at the Bar 3 range we handle lunch just like buffet in Las Vegas. Its FREE to start with. More goodies that you can shake a stick at. Great food brought by all the shooters. If there is not enough meat of sort We will fire up the grill and cook out on the spot. Come over next weekend and I'll show ya. Its Italian cuisine then white elephant Christmas.

I'm a-comin & smoked chicken Alfredo is comin with me !