SASS Wire Forum

Bell P-39

Subdeacon Joe

It was a wonderful ground attack aircraft, which it was designed to do. It was not designed for air to air combat, and when forced into that role it did not do so well.

Duffield

Mostly didn't do so well at altitude because the Army decided to leave the superchargers off the production models.

Fella in the office has a large painting of a P-39 on his office wall ~ one that his Dad flew in the Pacific. Cool picture, a depiction of him about to shoot down a Zero... which he actually did! As the story went, he popped out of a cloud and there he was. Never knew what hit 'im.

The future Lt Col Frame was a dairyman at heart... and his plane's tail bore a depiction of Elsie the Cow. ^_^

Bill - the fella at work - still drives one of his Dad's vehicles, complete with a bumper sticker proclaiming the owner as a "P-39 Jock"

A couple of portions of the painting... I'll try to get a complete one when I get back to work. :)

P-39%202_zpsynp2emaj.jpg

P-39%201_zpsivxxjy9w.jpg

Edited by Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967

The Russians loved them. They were great for ground attack as mentioned, but they learned how to fight air to air with them and had pretty good success. The air base here was a prep base for the lend lease program. They'd get all types of aircraft in, prep and re-paint them with all but the Red Star then they'd be ferried to Alaska where the Russian pilots would take them across the straight. They really liked the King Cobra.

Edited by Charlie Whiskers

Army Air Forces used the export version, the P-400, on Guadalcanal in support of the Marines. They had no equipment to recharge their oxygen equipment, so were pretty much restricted to close air support, at which they did a great job. The engine was mounted behind the pilot, and they had a 20mm (I think) cannon mounted in the nose, firing through the propeller spinner. Replaced later by the P-38's that got Yamamoto.

It was the reason my dad joined the Air Force. But he never got to fly one.

The officer commanding the fighters on Guadalcanal said that the P-39/P-400 was such easy meat for the Japanese Zero that it should not be in the air when Zeros were around.

The air corps didn't put a supercharger on it because ground attack airplanes don't get high enough to need one, and the same for oxygen equipment replenishment.

It was available when the USAAC went into combat in the South Pacific, so it was used, but one of the pilots from (I believe) the 39th Fighter Squadron referred to the P-400 as a "Lumbering old cow." The aircraft was extremely fast at low level, which saved many of them - they simply outran the zeros - but they were never a great air to air combat aircraft.

Nor were they intended to be.

Duffield

I had an uncle who flew them a short time in WW2, he hated them as did most of his pilot Buds; the "Door" was a beast to open if you had to bail out. He was fortunate to get into a Jug (P-47) unit in Europe. Cheers Hoss

The mid engine design made them a bit tricky to land I reckon. The cannon was a good thing but subsequent aircraft relied mostly on 50 cals, until the P61.

Edited by Utah Bob #35998

The "Iron Dog" was a good performer against German fighters at the lower altitudes air battles were fought in Europe and Russia. The air battles in Russia were around 15,000 feet so a supercharger was not needed.

The P-38 was such a poor performer without a supercharger the British cancelled their orders for them. Once a supercharger was added it became a excellent high altitude long range fighter. Pilots loved having two engines to get them home. The P-38 can take a lot of damage and limp home on one engine. The ocean is a big, lonely place and the Japanese were well known to torture and kill any pilots they captured.

the P-38 also had a hell of a lot of firepower in the nose: six Browning 50 Cals. It made it very easy to aim and they were devastating on enemy fighters. Our top Ace, Maj Dick Bong got 40 Japs with the P-38. Cheers, Hoss

• 2 weeks later...

Finally managed to snap a picture of Col. Frame's painting, done by a fella named Skip Rains.

The story was that his wingman had spotted the Japanese plane and transmitted the sighting, then Frame popped out of a cloud behind 'im. "Got the drop on 'im!" ^_^

Not too many Zeroes nailed by P-39's!

P-39%20b_zpsgfi7twkb.jpg

Hoss, the P-38 had 4 .50 cals and a 20mm cannon.

http://acepilots.com/planes/p38_lightning.html

Mostly didn't do so well at altitude because the Army decided to leave the superchargers off the production models.

Fella in the office has a large painting of a P-39 on his office wall ~ one that his Dad flew in the Pacific. Cool picture, a depiction of him about to shoot down a Zero... which he actually did! As the story went, he popped out of a cloud and there he was. Never knew what hit 'im.

The future Lt Col Frame was a dairyman at heart... and his plane's tail bore a depiction of Elsie the Cow. ^_^

Bill - the fella at work - still drives one of his Dad's vehicles, complete with a bumper sticker proclaiming the owner as a "P-39 Jock"

A couple of portions of the painting... I'll try to get a complete one when I get back to work. :)

P-39%202_zpsynp2emaj.jpg

P-39%201_zpsivxxjy9w.jpg

Great stuff Hardpan! Thanks!

Eat more chikn!

3kAnjg.jpg

Edited by Utah Bob #35998

I stand corrected on the armament of the P-38. It was all in the nose and your did not need to "Harmonize" the guns as you did with a P-40, P-47, P-51, etc. It was a great Fighter plane! Hoss C.