SASS Wire Forum

What guns/gear would you buy if you had a $4500 budget?

FlashAndPoof

Duece Stevens has an excellant SxS video, I'd check it out before you learn bad habits.

https://youtu.be/PnIleSyy1sw

I can vouch for the fact that bad habits and bad technique are very hard to unlearn.

Have fun

Randy

• Like 1

Wow you guys have it good for prices there.

In Australia you are looking at:

Uberti 1873 Competition - $2100 (there are not the gunsmiths buying and tuning rifles here, you have to buy stock and then send it away.

2x Ruger V SASS- $2700.

Thats the budget, and some, blown on a rifle and 2 pistols :blink:

I have spent:

Uberti 1866- $1700

2x Uberti El Patrons- $1800 (I am upgrading to SASS Pro's at $1960)

Stoeger SxS- $650

Mernickle Gun belt and SG belt (inc some bits and pieces) $800

Clothing- $300

Mind you you can do it cheaper if you want but hay, you cant take it with you :D

Are you talking a new guy with nothing then two Rugers revolvers to my specs, one 1873 race ready and depending on witch cat I p,an on shooting a s she or hammered s s or 87 too start.

If it buying additional guns to what I have it would start with a sharps , then a marlin guide gun in 38-55 plus one to match the sharps.if for cas

For any guns I guess a iwi Trevor, sp90, maybe a 9 mm ar/m4then a ar shotgun that I like with mags spotting scope that will do out to a mile ammo

In my not at all humble opinion (I think I know everything), I would put the most emphasis on your rifle and rig. Get those right from the start. Plan to buy once cry once with those items. Cheap leather is a waste of money and does nothing for learning your skill set. Only get leather that is designed for our game. The best rigs are built and designed by SASS shooters.

Rifle has to have a good action job. I prefer Marlins but a 73 with a 18.5" or 20" octagon barrel is good too.

Ruger or Pietta revolvers need just a bit of spring work to get started. Add more action work as you progress.

Only after you get this far should you see what's left in your budget for a shotgun. SKB double worked on by a good smith is tops, but a cheaper double by baikal or stoeger can be very, very close competitively.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: DON'T WASTE A BUNCH OF TIME GETTING STARTED. JUMP RIGHT IN AND GET TO SOME MATCHES EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE ALL YOUR GEAR.

In my not at all humble opinion (I think I know everything), I would put the most emphasis on your rifle and rig. Get those right from the start. Plan to buy once cry once with those items. Cheap leather is a waste of money and does nothing for learning your skill set. Only get leather that is designed for our game. The best rigs are built and designed by SASS shooters.

Rifle has to have a good action job. I prefer Marlins but a 73 with a 18.5" or 20" octagon barrel is good too.

Ruger or Pietta revolvers need just a bit of spring work to get started. Add more action work as you progress.

Only after you get this far should you see what's left in your budget for a shotgun. SKB double worked on by a good smith is tops, but a cheaper double by baikal or stoeger can be very, very close competitively.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING: DON'T WASTE A BUNCH OF TIME GETTING STARTED. JUMP RIGHT IN AND GET TO SOME MATCHES EVEN IF YOU DON'T HAVE ALL YOUR GEAR.

Best advice so far

Get good leather. When you learn your shooting skills more you will eventually get a rig built for you.

Shotgun shell belt get a doc noper. Simply put there isn't a better rig out there

Old model or New it's a personal preference. But I'd recommend 5 1/2". Especially if your shooting gf or duelist. They stay on target better and you will get less misses.

Marlin or 73 depends on your feel. Marlins just have a different feel to leveling them. Rifle runs normally go from 2 to 7 seconds not too much spread

More time is lost with the shotgun than any other gun. A good 4 shot run is under 5 seconds mid pack is between 6 and 12 sec. Get the stock cut for you! That's very important. You won't be fast if your struggling with a gun. I run against the grain and run a stock double trigger steoger. I like that the chambers are closer together and when I'm on the timer struggles to pick up my second shot. It works for me. My best 8 shot string is 6.43. Basicly meaning don't discount the stoeger. I've been running the same gun for 5 years it's still tight and smoken fast when i remember to flip off the safety

Best advice is from the tiny straight arrow. Get out there and jump in.

My advice is show up help out meet everyone. Guns and gear will get pushed on you to try out take advantage of it try out the widest variety of items you can even compare them if you can smith guns vs non smith guns. If I was going to write a guide for new shooters I would build a matrix of the gear we use. Having every item in the different stages that we use it in and a go nogo undecided box for each that would list saas and the different makes available what's normally done to them etc. example

Ruger

Vaqueros

Stock

Action job

Short stroked

Full race job

Bch

SS

SS matte

Brass/gold front sight

Bisley vaqueros

List from above

Birdshead vaqueros

Etc

Bearcat vaqueros

Leather belt

Buscadero

Hunter style belt

Tapered belt

With or wo loops

Holster

Standard high holster

Drop loop holster

Cross draw holster

Huckleberry rig

Leather finish

Brown

Black

Other color

Plain

Spots

Tooled

Other

Rifle

Marlin

List of items

Winchester

Colt

Lightning

Shotgun

SxS

Hammered SxS

Single barrel

This is an abbreviated version on the list but the one in the guide woul have all options legal the note if restricted to from certain categories but it would also include the sh belt and gun cart options. Not every model but every type . It would probably over Weald the new shooter much like the handbook has in the past o some. But it would give them the info to choose wisely and once instead of like many myself included who went through at least four sets of guns before settling on the ones I've used for over the last decade and selling some that were to be rebought not same guns but same models. There are less than half a dozen guns left t o buy that I've not own and sold that about doubles the list. Some I want original models and not modern clones others I'll take the first model I can afford. I need three holsters not to include the two on a buscadero belt.im wanting three of merkanile holsters for my usfa saas /Rugers andbelt. Got the Sgt belt and like it, got his wb rig also.tried Kirkpatrick long hunter holsters and belts for about five or more years tired of repositioning the holsters everytime.

I went from home made golf type gun cart to homemade oversized wagon cart that fell apart to pro made wood cart hooligan wagon for electric scooter to the best of all Imo the rugged cart gun mover.

Over the years I've shot traditional (starting out), gunfighte, frontiersman, classic cowboy, duelist never could go back to two handed grip but with my hands doing what they are if not repaired soon I might have to try it again, used to best with left now barely can hold a gun in it.

18 1/2 or 20" 1873 in 357- By Harlem Wolf.

Ruger vaqueros 357- Short stroke kit by Shotgun Boogie.

SKB SXS 12 g model 100 or 200- By Fast Eddie in GA.

These would be the absolute best and last you for ever.

Leather is your own preference just look at several from Kirkpatrick leather , Rod Keebler, Johnny Morris ......... the list could go on and on.

Welcome to SASS... it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on.

Slick

This combination would get my vote.

I got into CASS a little over 2 years ago and started from scratch. Fortunately i had some good guidance.

I started out with:

1) SASS Vaqueros is 357/38 (4.62 inch barrels)

2) Cody Conagher 73 357/38

3) Marlin 94 357/38 (back up)

5) Stoerger Coach 12 guage

6) Leather (holster/shot gun belt)

7) Collapsible gun cart

Although all the equipment is very important, I would not go cheap on leather. High quality and personally tailored to fit you is what I reccomend. All of my guns were worked over from the get go which I think is a wise investment. Although I have never had to use my back up Marlin 94 at a shoot, it provides me with a sense of security. I frequently see rifles go down during a shoot.

After the first year I purchased a Dillion press and started reloading, definitely a cost saver in long run if you shoot often.

Good luck on your journey.

FlashAndPoof,

The first and most important question that needs to be answered is are you portraying the "REEL WEST" or the "REAL WEST?"

It will make a big difference in the equipment you choose.

FlashAndPoof,

The first and most important question that needs to be answered is are you portraying the "REEL WEST" or the "REAL WEST?"

It will make a big difference in the equipment you choose.

Good point.

An equally important question is, will you try to be one of the fastest shooters? Is it important to you to win first place awards? Or will you have other goals?

• 5 weeks later...

STI Spartan or Trojan 45acp 1911 (900-1300)

7 Tripp magazines (250)

a good model 12 12g (450)

a good enough uberti 1873 45LC set up (1250)

Jensen Leather Entire set up belt, sg belt, pistol holster, mag pouches, ammo pouch (roughly 500)

a decent Original Enfield bolt action military rifle in .303 for BAMM (350)

spend the rest of your money on good whiskey and cigars for each day when your done shooting. . .

A Bernardelli Brescia 12 gauge double hammer gun two barrel set. It could be used for SASS, but really........ :blink:

If anything was left over I'd start shopping for a 1903 Mannlicher Schonauer carbine in 6.5 x 54 MS. Might work for Wild Bunch..... but again, really....... :P

If I had the money, 2 Colts.

1 set up identical to a GI Cavalry pistol. The other identical to a GI Artillery model.

Identical in every way, down to the US stamped on the side. Only difference that even an expert would see would be that they look brand new and the serial numbers. :)

A pair of Uberti 1872 Open-Tops with Navy Grips in .44 Colt / .44 Spl. Fro "Taylors" Money Belt cartridge belt with two Strong-hand Slimjim Holsters

Uberti 1866 Sporting Rifle in .38 WCF ,,,,, Back-up Uberti 1866 Short Rifle in .44 Spl.

Hammered Double ,,,, in 16 ga. or 12 ga. With some experience ,,,,, Older Gun .....

Shotgun Shell belt to fit Gage of Choice ....

Jabez Cowboy

I would buy what I have and currently shoot:

A pair of Lassiter short stroked Ruger Bisley Revolvers in .38 cal.

An Evil Roy short stroked 1873 short rifle in .38 cal.

An original 1897 12 gauge shotgun (parkerized)

A set of Longer Hunter Holsters and belt (cross draw)

A 12 gauge shotgun belt by Badwater Bill.

Shooting gear is like underwear. Wear what is comfortable !

Duece Stevens has an excellant SxS video, I'd check it out before you learn bad habits.

https://youtu.be/PnIleSyy1sw

I can vouch for the fact that bad habits and bad technique are very hard to unlearn.

Have fun

Randy

What shotgun is Duece using. Wow, thanks, love the video!

• 4 years later...
On 11/27/2016 at 4:26 PM, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

Sure I ll go first.

a 73 saddle ring carbine in 38 sp. case color mainframe.

Two ruger vaqueros in 38/357--stainless bead blasted

And a dubble barrel 12 gauge pick your maker....

And some nice leather with NO loops, just matching slides.

and if there is enuf left over, a spare 38 rifle.

A spare rifle is a good thing.

Best

CR

Ditto

19 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Nothing like dragging up a five year old post.  $4500 then is NOT $4500 now in the gun market.

You are sure right. I didn't even notice that it was so old. Some good advice, and IMO some not so good. 

after i got into this i came to the similar conclusion as most have proposed to you , i spent a lot more arriving at this conclusion , if you buy well and follow the guideline you will start in a far better place than me and many -

73 in 357 / 38 18.5" - 20" barrel

Rugers 357 / 38 with 4 5/8 or 5 1/2 " barrels

Skb or 97 win or get both

Good competition leather

shpop well , it can be done but takes an effort on your part 

I'd have a pair of Custom Built 1860 Henry Rifles.  A 19 inch barrel Transitional Carbine and a 16 inch barrel Trapper set up for C45S, and . . wait!!  I have those!!  A Pair of Custom Built Pietta .44 Navy (never never) SNUBBIES and a Pair of Pietta Capt. Schaeffer Replicants and . . . wait!!  I have those.  A Pedersoli Hammer Double 12Ga and . . . Oh, I have that too.  I'm Done.

• Like 1