SASS Wire Forum

What length 1873 on most using?

elkoholic

19 Carbine .

20 Short Rifle .

Its a matter of choice .

I prefer the Uberti octagon barreled 20", with pistol grip stock. Even my Winchester (made in 1890) has the 20" octagon barrel. But, handle some different configurations and choose what pleases you, not what others like... you'll have a more harmonious outcome ;)

Edited by McCandless

Are most shooters using 18" or 20" 1873's ?? I don't see many 18 Taylors on Gunbroker. Maybe they go fast? Or, not much demand? (yes, newbie here)

That's because the 18" rifle configuration is fairly new. The 20" rifles have been around for over 20 years. The 20" Border Rifle (pistol grip) is the most popular configuration.

All these pics taken the day I unboxed 'em... for insurance purposes.... but I shoot 'em all...

I see more of these at matches... than any other. Not sure if I have ever seen one less than 20"... Cimarron (Uberti made) '73 Short Rifle in .357...

IMG_0982_zps0nrpnq8a.jpg

However... for actually huntin' stuff off my horse... I prefer a longer barrel... a Winchester (Miroku made) Deluxe 44-40 in 24" barrel with pistol grip stock...

IMG_0980_zpsndccizrb.jpg

Or this one... a 24" Winchester (Miroku made) Deluxe 44-40 in 24" barrel with straight grip stock... got the best wood on it I ever bought...

IMG_0978_zpsdl8kvfnh.jpg

In leverguns... they all shoot good...

Ya know... the 20" Cimarron short rifle is just as heavy as the 24" Winchesters... due to barrel thickness...

ts

Oh yeah, then there's ..... straight or pistol ! :wacko:

Ya got to shoulder a few... see what you prefer... that's the only way. Go to a match... ask 'round... or go to a dealer. That's the true... only way to find out.

Like trucks... folks have different preferences in configurations...

• Like 1

Ya got to shoulder a few... see what you prefer... that's the only way. Go to a match... ask 'round... or go to a dealer. That's the true... only way to find out.

Those two Miruko's look like they came out of my gunsafe. Better go check!!! LOL.

^ What he said. Find one of each. Close your eyes and throw them up to you shoulder, get a good cheek weld and then open your eyes. Sometimes sights will be in alignment with one and not the other. That's the one you should choose.

I have both 20 inchers and 24 inchers ...

On the shooting line I see far more 20 inchers than any other length ...

And not just in 73s ....

Jabez Cowboy

I think I currently only have three 1873's; two .44-40's and a .38-40. The .38-40 is 20", and the two .44-40's started out as 24"ers, but I cut ~ 3 5/16" off them - as far back as I could and not have to re-cut the rotary dovetail, so they must be just over 20 5/8" now. When I started this game, I thought I'd prefer the longer barrel, but the longer I played, the better I liked the shorter barrels, so out came the hacksaw, square, and draw file!

1873_44-40_zpsd6c67802.jpg

1873FrontSight_zps00f323ee.jpg

I have 3 Uberti 73's in 3 different lengths. A 44-40 24 inch, 2 38/357's, 1 19 inch and 1 20 inch. As my shoulder has started bothering me more I tend to shoot the 19 inch carbine the most. I actually prefer that and the 24 inch one more than the 20. All are the straight stock model. I couldn't get use to a pistol grip rifle.

Edited by Charlie Whiskers

That's because the 18" rifle configuration is fairly new. The 20" rifles have been around for over 20 years. The 20" Border Rifle (pistol grip) is the most popular configuration.

I'm curious as to what you are basing this information on? Sales? Personal observation? Where I shoot (4-5 clubs) I rarely see the pistol grip configuration. Probably 1 out of 10 at best. The 20" barrel is easily the most common where I shoot.

20" straight stock is what I see 99% of the time :-)

I have the 18 inch octagonal with pistol grip stock and a 20 inch octagonal with straight stock. I like them both, can't tell the difference once the beep goes off. I do like the forearm to be checkered or engraved for a better grip, but you can have that done if you don't get a model that comes with it.

• Like 1

Ditto on 20" octagonal barrel, straight grip stock.

It's what is cheapest. It's what is most commonly in stock. It's fast and fairly light without getting whippy and sliding past targets when you have to shift aim. It fits through most doorways and windows nicely. It doesn't need a 6'4" football star to get it quickly into action. :lol:

Get a 20" octagonal straight grip, but only after you try it and decide you like it. Just because all the other lemmings pards have one, doesn't mean you will like it. But then, I've got 3 and wish the other one was the same 20" straight grip, too.

Good luck, GJ

I have both a Marlin 1894 16" and a Cody-Matic 1873 20". The 20" is my main rifle. Seems like recoil is much less in the heavier rifle and being heavier, it seems to handle better.

With that being said, I would love to shoot one of the new Uberti 18".

I have one .357 1873 with a pistol grip stock but I have a 18" full octagon on this one which is my main match rifle , but I also have another 1873 with a pistol grip stock but the barrell on it is 18" but it is 1/2 round , 1/2 octagon and I have shot both at big matches and cant tell a difference both rifles have a weight reduction to them as well though but I like shooting a little lighter rifle to each their own though.

18 inch half round half octagon straight stock for me.

+1. It's my main match rifle when shooting smokeless and for Wild Bunch.

DSCN0664.jpg

+1! It's a Chevy/Ford/Dodge thing.

I have a 18" ½ round/½ octagon Uberti '73, along with a OFM 24", a 20" OFM Rossi Short Rifle, and a 17" OFM Marlin 1894 (yep, custom)... and a 24" 1860 Henry. I like them all, but possibly, my favorite is my 1885 24" ½r round/octagon single shot... a little slow for either cowboy action or wild bunch, but great fun for Plainsman events!

Oh yeah, 20" in either carbine or rifle form is likely the most popular.

Edited by Griff

73.jpg

This was just after I built it. I had the grip engraved like the handguard at Regionals. It won't look this pretty for long.

Edited by C.S. Brady, SASS #63699
  • Like 1

I shot 24" for 9 years. I seemed to be able to pick up the front sight more easily. I now shoot 20" and don't really notice the difference. Guess it was all in my head.

I am not going to read this whole thread to see if this has been mentioned but; It has been pointed out to me that a 24" barrel comes with a longer fore end. Some people prefer the balance and grip of a 24" rifle shortened to 20" over a natural born 20"